Old school audio hardware

bones
Clooney

Old school audio hardware

Unread post by bones » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:40 am

Once again, it seems that DJ and I are thinking about similar things. In his recent blog post "Hardware isn’t as hard as it used to be…" he discusses the tough-as-nails older hardware (particularly IBM-era Thinkpads) versus the throwaway new crap.

Although we are getting a new flat panel TV next week to replace our dead ancient tube TV, one of things you won't find me buying anytime soon is new hi-fi audio hardware. The stereo receiver we currently own is a Technics SA-500, from 1978. It drives a couple of Cerwin-Vega AT-10 speakers, also from the 70s. The combination of the two delivers great, warm sound (still need to find a nice turntable, though, to spin my vinyl). Yesterday I was talking to a good friend of mine that collects and restores old hi-fi audio hardware, and he offered to upgrade my SA-500 with a newly-restored Marantz 2230 receiver. While not their top-of-the-line model from that era, the 2230 is a fabulous, highly sought after receiver, that retailed for about $350 in the 70s. It's not unusual to find them going for good money on eBay, and the sound they produce (the "Marantz sound") is quite nice. So I'll be picking that up in a few days, and he will restore/refurbish the SA-500, and pass it along to someone else.

As a side note, both of these receivers weigh 30+ lbs. Old school, tough-as-nails, built to last. The new shit just doesn't compare.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: Old school audio hardware

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 am

This is a scary subject, because I have an unholy collection of ancient audio hardware...but mostly in the form of guitars and amplifiers. My favorite is a Vox TV-4 all tube amp. It's the smallest, yet best-sounding little fellow, that I've ever owned. I don't use the stock speaker, but use it as a head to power a set of 2 10" Celestion speakers. I traded a Fender half-stack and 3 guitars straight across for the whole setup. Nothing made in the last few years (including the reissued TV-4's) even compare in the warmth that it gives.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Old school audio hardware

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:53 am

My dad does this as a hobby, he's made his own tone arm - he's reading about making his own valve amp.
anybody heard of the quad ESL's? look like electric radiators. Amazing sound. He's buying up a bunch off ebay and refurbishing them.
I killed all my ancient hardware. I turned one crappy home amp up to loud and it caught fire...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"