LARSWM: Lutefisk

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
pidsley
Hermit

LARSWM: Lutefisk

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:03 pm

In our continuing project to produce a separate spin for every window manager we can find, I give you LinuxBBQ Lutefisk, featuring the larswm window manager. An early tiling window manager, larswm's man page describes it as "a tiling window manager for X11, based on 9wm by David Hogan. It provides virtual desktops, support for tiled and untiled windows, keyboard shortcuts and more, while using very little system resources."

You will want to read the man page for this one. You have been warned. Its keybindings are not like anything you are used to, and its method for moving and resizing floating windows is unique. Rather than tell the window manager which windows you want floating (as with spectrwm) you tell it which classes to tile, and it floats the rest. Everything is controlled from one config file, located at ~/.larswmrc, and it is all explained very well in the man page. I included a link to the man page on the right-click root-window menu, so you have no excuse not to read it.

Other than its unique window manager, there is nothing really special about this release. Based on the Spring rev iso, it includes the 3.12-8 686 (non PAE) kernel, cmus as music player, dillo and w3m as browsers, ranger as file manager, urxvt as terminal emulator. I made a small modification to .bash_profile so bbqlogin only runs on tty1 (this allows a simple login on tty2). A few more xcolors are included (at /usr/local/share/console_colors). Of course, the fish shell is also included for those who need more fish with their lutefisk.

The iso comes in at just under 300M and boots in X at around 50M.

Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbb ... tefisk.iso
md5sum: b61f37136606197f4a6eb0a0b92c5cdb linuxbbq-lutefisk.iso
2014-03-02-180819_1280x1024_scrot.png
wikipedia wrote:It is gelatinous in texture, and has an extremely strong, pungent odor. Its name literally means "lye fish."

rust collector
Motörhead

Re: LARSWM: LinuxBBQ "Lutefisk"

Unread post by rust collector » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Ick. arrr garrrgl ]\'"|:P{} cough vomit...

Looks nice tho

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Pidsley is back with a shocking release. :D

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 am

Looking forward to checking it out.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:44 am

Thank you pidsley for this fragrant release. Lutefisk and Surstromming - a winning team!

BTW - that the file is still not available is not pidsley's fault. Something is wrong with sourceforge, there are now already four ISOs waiting in queue (although I cleaned up old and outdated releases). I opened another account, uploaded one smaller ISO there - same problem.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 am

^ never heard of this wm, time to try it. Thanks for this release, Pidsley.