MATWM2: Dinuguan

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
pidsley
Hermit

MATWM2: Dinuguan

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:21 am

It is with deep regret that I announce the release of LinuxBBQ "Dinuguan." Newer members here may not remember the days when all new BBQ releases were named for questionable food, such as "Disznosajt" and "Paardenrookvlees" -- I have decided to revive this tradition with "Dinuguan."

Based on the Spring rev iso, with sysv init and kernel 3.12-8 686, this release features two minimal stackers -- matwm2, named for its creator Mattis Michel, and lwm, the too-often overlooked and ignored "light window manager." matwm2 is highly configurable from its single config file, and lwm is almost unconfigurable, but still very usable. Do I need to tell you to read the man pages?

These minimal stackers are perfect for RustCollector's simple bash prompt, so it is included (thank you RC). This spin also features the return of osd-status (bound to mod4+s) and a man-page reader (bound to mod4+d) -- use it! 9menu provides a bbq root-window menu with a button3 click in matwm2, and a user-configurable menu with a button2 click in both window managers (lwm uses button3 for other purposes, which you will learn about when you read the man page). Button1 click on the root window starts a terminal.

xbindkeys provides keybindings for both window managers: mod4+t for a terminal, alt+F1 for bbq menu, alt+F2 for the user menu, alt+F3 for dmenu. dmenu-mem is also included, and bound to alt+F4. Read (or modify) ~/.xbindkeysrc for more information. Both the bbq menu and the user menu may be reconfigured by editing the appropriate files in ~/.config/9menu.

Dillo and w3m are available for browsing, mc and ranger (with w3m image preview) are file managers, urxvt is terminal emulator. The iso is just over 300M and installs to a little over 1G. You know the drill by now -- live login "bbq" password "bbq" -- "sudo bbqinstaller" when yu are ready to install.

download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbb ... o/download
d203ca1659906cd7f634ffb3b3a4f877 linuxbbq-dinuguan.iso

Image Image

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: MATWM2: LinuxBBQ Dinuguan

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:33 am

Let me thank you for introducing us to these two indeed obscure or forgotten window managers. And of course for reviving the obscure food release names (a tradition that I have broken with sexist slang, for which I'm really sorry!)

Needless to say that this release is like custom-tailored for older hardware and weak-breasted CPU/RAM specs.
..gnutella..

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 am

Wow, that seems to be a very interesting, I have to try this one.

No need to thank me for the basic prompt, I have stolen it from an IBM how to on prompts...

And anything I am dumb enough to post on the internet is free for anyone to grab, if they want it.

Thanks for some new stuff to try.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 am

From here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-tip-prompt/ ? If yes, thanks for the pointer :)
..gnutella..

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 am

That is the one, yes.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Well, since I love Old School (a real treat for old hardware), I'll sure give this a try. Thanks.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:49 pm

What a delicious plate.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:29 pm

This was a very nice spin.
I really like lwm, nice and simple, and does what a wm should!

I am not sure about matwm2 yet, but this is worthy of an install, for more testing.

Thanks!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:42 pm

^ great! Please let me know how the install process goes.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 pm

It seems to have installed just fine, as any other bbq install I have done?
network is setup, from the live session it was installed from, so, just start it up, and use it!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:00 pm

^ sweet! It's always possible to build a spin that runs live but does not install correctly, so it's very helpful when people report an install that still works. ;) Have fun -- lwm is also one of my favorite stackers, so I'm glad you like it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:10 pm

It's actually a nice side effect that once a session is set up in live mode, and even some applications installed for a test run, they are carried over to the installation.

Pidsley, we can start assembling and collecting our rc files for the 'Cream' :) I will be back in Germany next weekend, and then have some family stuff to do, but I guess we can estimate mid-April for the first alpha. We can make a new repo as github.com/linuxbbq/cream and move the configs there, of course with the respective folders (like ../.i3/conf) Are you ready, Sir?
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:12 pm

machinebacon wrote:Are you ready, Sir?
Yes, I am (almost) ready, but it might be tomorrow before I start adding configs. I had to euthanize one of my cats this morning, so I have already started drinking.
machinebacon wrote:It's actually a nice side effect that once a session is set up in live mode, and even some applications installed for a test run, they are carried over to the installation.
This is indeed a sweet "side effect" (and I have always appreciated it) -- I thought to mention it to RC, but I am a bit preoccupied right now.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:14 pm

Sorry to hear that. May she rest in peace. Of course it does not hurry at all, as said, we still have a month or two to go. Get yourself another drink, cheers!
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:22 pm

machinebacon wrote:It's actually a nice side effect that once a session is set up in live mode, and even some applications installed for a test run, they are carried over to the installation.
I actually didn't know this, very nice, thanks for that info.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:45 pm

^ its really handy. play with the live session, season to taste and install, done!
Sorry to hear about your cat, Pidsley.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:52 am

Just a question, in theory sxhkd should work with these WMs, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was confused.