ECHINUS: Esculentus

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
pidsley
Hermit

ECHINUS: Esculentus

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 am

I am almost happy to announce the release of LinuxBBQ "Esculentus" -- based on the Spring rev iso and featuring the echinus window manager with a 3.12-8 686 kernel.

So you like dwm but you don't like patching it, or rebuilding it every time you want to make a minor config change? Try echinus -- it's basically dwm with a run-time config file. You can change the config file and reload it without even stopping the window manager. It has multiple tags and bottom-stack, side-stack, floating and full-screen layouts, and windows can float on a tiled layout. I set it up so it bottom-stacks on tag 1 (and 4 through 7), side-stacks on tag 2, and floats on tag 3. It is easy to change this in the config file (~/.echinus/echinusrc).

The man page is helpful, and the config file (at ~/.echinus/echinusrc) is easy to understand. Echinus has no built-in panel, but it is EWMH complaint so any of the normal panels (lxpanel, fbpanel, tint2) work with it. I've included pypanel, a lightweight panel written in python. If you don't like it, replace it with something else or simply disable it in ~/.xinitrc. Configuration changes may be made in the pypanel config file at ~/.pypanelrc.

Echinus makes heavy use of Alt+key sequences in its own configuration, so I made some small changes to the keybinds you may be used to from other spins.

mod4+t (or alt+shift+enter) starts a terminal, as usual.
mod4+p (or mod4+F3) starts dmenu
mod4+d starts the man-page reader
mod4+F1 starts the bbq 9menu (this also works with a right-click on the root window)
mod4+F2 starts a user bbq menu (both these 9menus may be modified by editing files in ~/.config/9menu)
mod4+F4 starts dmenu-mem

All of these keybinds may be changed in ~/.echinus/echinusrc. This spin does not use xbindkeys.

I included my .tmux.conf (the old conf is still available at .tmux.conf.bbq; simply copy it over if mine annoys you) and also included vim with my vimrc and colorscheme (along with others). I also included an "mpsoma" alias for listening to my favorite stream from soma fm. The other standards are included: cmus, dillo, w3m, ranger and mc, urxvt.

(edit) I forgot to mention that I also included the "mk" and "go" set of directory-jumping functions in the default .bash_aliases. See this post for more details: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... nmk#p10804

Login bbq, password bbq.

This is a bloated iso at around 340M but installs to just under 1G, starts X under 50M.
Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbb ... o/download
67ca050992248e758efcb9b15712edd3 linuxbbq-esculentus.iso

Image Image

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: ECHINUS: LinuxBBQ Esculentus

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:03 am

Fully featured Echinus session. Impressive.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 am

hmm, looks pretty interesting pids. Nice one.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:55 am

pidsley wrote:I also included an "mpsoma" alias for listening to my favorite stream from soma fm.
Another solid looking release, pidsley, I'll give it a spin this week. mpsoma reminds me of this, which is part of the standard Slackware installation. I get a lot of use out of it.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: ECHINUS: Esculentus

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:20 am

Another wm I haven't heard of. Looks like a must try for a dwm fan such as myself.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I also included the "mk" and "go" set of directory-jumping functions in the default .bash_aliases. See this post for more details: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... nmk#p10804

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 pm

My queue is overflowing, thanks cant wait to try the last two offerings out.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:54 pm

^ same here, I know the feeling. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 am

Installation went easy like a charm, as usual. Later I'll play with it.