SAPPHIRE: Maghaz Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
pidsley
Hermit

SAPPHIRE: Maghaz Release News

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 pm

LinuxBBQ "Maghaz" features the sapphire window manager and special guest aewm. Based on the Spring rev 686 iso, Maghaz features the reliable 3.12-8 kernel and the usual applications. Special additions for this release include:

* Firefox (yes, real firefox, v27)
* Leafpad (come on; admit you use it sometimes)
* Netsurf
* Tinyradio
* Weechat (irssi is still there, but some people prefer weechat)

xbindkeys provides the usual keybinds. Read ~/.xbindkeysrc for more information. bbqlogin runs only on tty1; switch to tty2 for a plain tty login.

Sapphire has a root menu that may be configured -- see the man page for more information. It also has a few "themes" that may be selected from the root menu. The original versions of these themes used a solid-color background, but I modified them to allow wallpaper (one-line change, big deal). The original and modified themes are at /usr/share/sapphire/themes, and the menu is in /usr/share/sapphire/menu. When you update/upgrade, you may see a warning about "no menudefs.hook in sapphire default menu" -- this is because sapphire is supposed to use a big giant auto-generated debian menu, and I removed this from the menu. You may ignore the warning, or add the menudefs.hook back into the menu.

Aewm is a window manager I have avoided for some time, because I don't like its default mouse-button behavior (button 2 resize and move again). So I modified the source code to change the button bindings and rebuilt the window manager. Read ~/README.aewm for the new behavior and how to modify it if you don't like my choices. The code is included for reference (in ~/git) but you will need build tools and appropriate libraries to rebuild the window manager (use apt-get build-dep) or you may simply reinstall from the repo to get the default behavior back. The window manager's appearance may be changed using command-line options or a config file (again, see ~/README.aewm for a note about this config file). Once reconfigured, I found the window manager much easier to use. It's still not my favorite, but many other window managers trace back to this one, so it has historical significance. Aewm also has a configurable root-window menu (actually a separate program called "aemenu") and an optional panel ("aepanel"). See the man pages for more information.

The iso file is a huge ~365M, installs to 1.2G.
Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbb ... o/download
2f1f234ecfe0058934e5e02313eaf89f linuxbbq-maghaz.iso

Image Image

NOTE -- There is a small bug in the first release of this iso; newly created users do not get the .fehbg, .Xresources, and tinyradio stream file from the bbq user (my fault, sorry). This is now fixed. If you downloaded the iso on March 18th, either copy these files over by hand when you create a new user, or download the fixed version of the iso. Thanks to ChefIronBelly for installing and finding the bug.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: SAPPHIRE: Maghaz Release News

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah, great!
I got Esculentus to play with now, next on my list is Dinuguan and let me put this one just right after that. :)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23 pm

^ me too...

Looking forward to seeing what you did with Aewm.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 pm

pidsley wrote: Aewm is a window manager I have avoided for some time, because I don't like its default mouse-button behavior (button 2 resize and move again). So I modified the source code to change the button bindings and rebuilt the window manager.
This. damn. well done pidsley!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 am

thanks pidsley for this. ... finally we got aewm off the list. ;) enjoy the spring!

mission completed :)
..gnutella..