Boner (noX, amd64) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Boner (noX, amd64) Release News

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

hmm, change-user worked fine for me. only issue i had was that it wasn't in Boner by default, so grabbed it online. couldn't find it again later so added it to the Wiki: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Change-user
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it still doens't work for me. No worries, I'll keep boshing.
...oh.

fog
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by fog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 pm

I was tried change-user at escargot but "command no found" so i did it this way:

Code: Select all

sudo adduser <username>
This command prompts you for informations -password, name etc- creates your home dir and copies the files from /etc/skel.Then:

sudo adduser <username> sudo

User "bbq" is still there and i can see or copy the configs or the scripts etc.
I’m not antisocial, I’m just not user friendly.
photos || blog || dArt

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks fog. I'm just trying to sort out users on a new roast actually.

deluser bbq

sudo adduser dura
Add password, etc.,

Then add dura to sudoers.

Then login with dura and startx. dura can start x, but x doesn't start up. It just stays black. I will try your way (I shouldn't have deleted bbq, but don't see what the issue with tis anyway). Thanks for the help :)
...oh.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

@fog: exactly. i *think* it is supposed to be in either ~/bin or /usr/bin. which is why i copied it to the Wiki so we bacon doesn't have to do a respin simply because of a missing script.
your solution, of course, is the original way of doing it, and kudos etc for that :) if you check out the code of the script you'll see this in there as well, plus some other stuff that is useful, such as adding the user to groups etc etc. it's really a good chance to have a look at what is going on in this script.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 am

I made a wiki on roasting boner. Feel free to change it. It's a bit OTT, as it actually goes through installation too. You/I might take that out... It's also using openbox as an example, so there is lots of apps people might not want nor need (yeah ok, you got me, it's just for me basically).

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roasting_Boner

I still haven't managed to get users added and be able to startx; using the way fog suggests too. Just wont let added users startx. I don't get it. :/
...oh.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 am

have a gander at /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and look for any error reports.
if its a black screen might be gfx - is there anything on tty7?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 am

Everthing works for bbq user. I'll check, thanks. Permission to use xserver-xorg-video-intel or something? cheers
...oh.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:21 am

i would like to point out that this wiki entry is not an official recommendation* from linuxbbq.org, but a howto that should be** on the forums.
thank you

*) to avoid confusion: some steps are optional or do not work as described for all hardware (which is of course the nature of linux)
**) which means that I'd prefer to have this article linked in a sub-section here on the forums where different 'recipes' are collected. It was once the original idea of the BBQ but had to be postponed because of the unwanted submission to DW.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:34 am

dura wrote: I still haven't managed to get users added and be able to startx; using the way fog suggests too. Just wont let added users startx. I don't get it. :/
Do not remove bbq, instead log in as root and add the user like this (and not per sudo)
Then check which shell is selected (chsh). Check /etc/passwd which shell the newly added user has assigned.
And finally, check to which groups the user is added.
useradd -s USERNAME -c USERNAME -G sudo,audio,netdev -m USERNAME
if you prefer useradd. The bbqinstaller routine is meant to copy the system onto the hard drive, then to build up a system and keep bbq as the future "live-user" on a redistributable spin.

1) download and dd boner/virgin, then install
2) boot and log in as bbq
3) install all stuff wanted
4) create snapshot
5) use this ISO to boot into a live system, user bbq, password bbq
6) use live-installer to install it to whatever computer
..gnutella..

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 am

I will delete the wiki how to. :) and stick it on here. Sorry for downgrading the quality of the meat. There has just been news of horse meat being found in Tesco burgers, and I think I may have been affected by this acceptance of poor standards.
...oh.

fatmac
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by fatmac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:28 pm

(Apologies - posted in wrong thread - please delete.)
((At least I thought I had; senior moment,sorry. :) ))
Last edited by fatmac on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linux since 1999

fatmac
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by fatmac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 pm

sda7 is the corrupted partition. Displays file system unknown in gparted.

I don't want to waste too much of your time mb. This isn't hugely important as there's nothing important on this partition - for me it's just an exercise to see if i can recover it.

Have chrooted to OS on sda11 in the meantime . . .
Sounds like a bad superblock, take a look at these :-

http://kezhong.wordpress.com/2009/06/27 ... -recovery/
http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/2010 ... in-ubuntu/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linux since 1999

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 pm

In my crappy boner roasting how to, I've put ins gnome-icon-theme. The reason is that without it pcmanfm has not been picking up any of the clarity icons, so maybe it is a dependency for them. Clarity aren't installed as a package so haven't been able to check their dependencies via apt-cache. Just sayin'
...oh.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:13 pm

It's not. hicolor-icon-theme is barely needed for LightDM, and Clarity is installed. If you install pcmanfm, you pick up the mnimalistic lxde-icon-theme and remove it after changing the theme. (edit: even lxde-icon-theme is not a dependency, but would be pulled in through the lxde metapackage)
You only need to log out and back after changing the icon theme in lxappearance or manually in the .gtkrc file(s). The gnome-icon-theme is required if network-manager is installed. Just sayin'

Okay, I think we better close this thread and remove boner and virgin from the server. Happy roasting.
..gnutella..