LinuxBBQ XFCE4 “Proof” (i686)

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: LinuxBBQ XFCE4 “Proof” (i686)

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

wayne wrote: a headless box, sitting at a corner, with one 1TB usb disk ,
and use it just to share files over home network with other computers
can it be done? of course with lots of help from forumers here ???:):)
help needed on how to do it..
Yes, this can be done. I have an even older machine doing exactly this (I don't have a 1TB drive though). I will describe how this is set up, and then you can tell us if you think this will work for you and what parts you need help with.

1. The machine is set up to autologin to a console, so it can be started with no monitor or keyboard attached.
2. It's set up as an nfs server, with its exports file set to allow any machine on my router to connect to it.
3. It has a 160M secondary drive that is all shared data.
4. It's set up to allow me to ssh into it from my main machine, so I can control it from there.
5. It has a monitor and keyboard attached to it, so I can control it locally if necessary.

This is certainly not the only way to do this, but it works for me. If you want to share data with Windows machines, this will not work (you will need samba for that, and I can't help you with samba).

If you need to learn more about nfs and ssh, you can read the nfs and ssh topics in the Arch wiki. If you have more specific questions, please ask.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nfs
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ssh

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

hi pidsley

so nice to read your reply.

and happy to continue reading...

until I read
If you want to share data with Windows machines, this will not work (you will need samba for that, and I can't help you with samba).
yes, my home networks have a few Windows machines and family members need them to access network...
i guess i need lots of support on samba. :(

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm

wayne wrote: yes, my home networks have a few Windows machines and family members need them to access network...
i guess i need lots of support on samba. :(
Well, some of the steps are still the same. You can still set the machine up to autologin to a console. You can still set up ssh so you can control it from another Linux machine. If you are sharing to some other Linux machines, nfs is still probably the easiest way to do this.

I think there are other people here with samba experience, so don't give up hope yet...

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 pm

i can help with samba - it's been a while.

i found the easiest way was to remove all security though.
makes it easier for users and admins alike.

i'll guess i'll put my efforts into writing a wiki article otherwise i'll only end up migrating it anyway.

you can do as pidsley says -good to start stuff in ssh. and nfs is quite easy.

for samba

Code: Select all

ins samba
normally it should add your smb to the systemd startup automatically.
not sure if proof is ssh enabled at startup.
and make sure the disk/usbs devices are automounted in fstab give them meaningful, memorable names if you haven't already (without spaces )

that should get you going...
actually this is a pretty (old) but good guide, should give you an idea of what you will have to do.
http://www.unixmen.com/standalone-samba ... n-squeeze/

good luck
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 am

Girlfriend has Proof on her 1525 and is liking it, though I did install a load of bloooat on it.

Still haven't put it on my spare partition. Will do though this weekend probably though. Still loving Escargot! Then I'll be building up Boner on a spare partition on her *testing* machine :)
...oh.

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 am

thanks pidsley and wuxmedia

yes I would like to learn nfs/ssh and samba

please provide step by step procedure so I can follow

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am

May I advise to open a new thread for that? Actually this one is just for release announcements and it would be a pity if instructions like setting up Samba are buried in here somewhere. Thanks!
..gnutella..