VARIOUS: Gangbang (i686) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Let's Gangbang!

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 am

@Jens: Ja und nein. Der bbqinstaller (die text Version) hat Verschluesselung als Option, nicht aber (noch) der Grafische.

Gangbang ist eigentlich per se nicht zur Installation vorgesehen, da im Moment etwa 45 WMs gepackt sind und daher die Abhaengigkeiten nicht ganz dem BBQ-Ideal entsprechen. Es ist eher eine Testplatform fuer WMs, damit man sich - ohne das eigene System zu verunstalten - ein Bild von den Unterschieden der WMs machen kann.

Die Sache mit Tor ist kein Problem, ich werde es in der naechsten Revision von bbqcheckout/roastyourown einbauen. Danke fuer den Hinweis.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:27 am

Pidsley,

thanks again for your WM list, I have managed to get them to run without any problems. Alopex is a bit strange though, it does work but somehow doesn't pick up clicks and keybinds - though I have to admit I haven't read the doc in detail or recompiled yet.

WMFS I haven't added, for the convenience of xbindkeys. Anyway the people who know what it is will grab it and put it on their system. I might simply add their website to the references.

Do you have some other hidden gems in the sleeve?
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Yes, Alopex is "different" -- it was based on TinyWM, and it's designed to be used without a mouse. I haven't used it lately, but I had it running pretty well for a while.

Is stumpwm on the list? I always forget that one because Lisp makes my brain hurt (like haskell and lua, but worse).

I have to work today, but I might be able to find a couple more tomorrow -- how long until you build the iso?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm

@Pidsley: Giving you the stupidest Debian-answer: when it's ready ;) No, seriously, I guess it will be around this weekend, at least the first test spin. Good you remind me of stumpwm, remember we talked about that one a while ago (at times of the Oyster creation) and had some reason (or none?!) to leave it out. Guess it was related to Lisp, but maybe also because it is very similar to ... ratpoison (?) without any added value. I'm sure you know/remember better than me :)

So no problem, just take your time, there's no real deadline. I've build the new spin from scratch (not based on Oyster) and chosen choosewm as 'login manager'. Haven't tested if all forty-something WMs start up with it, yet - and some don't create the xsession file, so I gotta do some administrative work and compare the installed WMs with the .desktop files in the xsession folder.

So, no hurry, we're the bosses ;)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 pm

OK. I don't remember why we left out stumpwm (probably because of the Lisp).

Here's another one already: "goomwwm" (get out of my way, window manager) by aerosuidae, the musca dev.

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/seanpringle/goomwwm.git
If the lack of xsession files is a pain, you could just use "startx" with an argument, with this code in .xinitrc:

case $1 in
        cwm) exec cwm;;
        evilwm) exec evilwm;;
        *) exec openbox-session;;
esac
But I guess then the user needs to know the name of the WM they want to start.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, goomwwm is even on our server! I like that one. Thanks for the reminder! We should also add the funny terminal stacker, twin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_(windowing_system)

Another thing, Pidsley, about alopex: is it possible it overrides xkeybind? I've assigned the clever 'kill wm' to the Alt-Esc sequence, as well as to Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and it is (together with a few other WMs) not reacting to it. As I wrote before, Alopex does work, but I can't even get a terminal to open, and no idea which default keybinds do what. Any hints?

Edit: added link
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:00 pm

^ I'm out the door in a minute, but I will look into it later. I think it has its own keybind mechanism.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Alright, that helps already. RTF config file :)

Take care!
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Alopex seems to be working with xbindkeys on my machine. Mod4+delete pkills X as defined in the xbindkeysrc file I have on Trollinger, and if I add the following code to .xbindkeysrc it works as well.

"sudo pkill X"
    alt + Escape

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 am

So I checked out the big list of WMs again, and the ones I can build are pretty much like some we already have (minimal stackers, or a ratpoison-like WM that doesn't have a runtime config) and there are some I can't build. So I declare the list we have ENOGUH!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:12 am

^ woohoo!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Alrighty, seems we really got them all (though I have a special surprise, let's see if I can get it to work well on the live ISO)

Thanks Pidsley. Will be a busy weekend :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:54 am

it's like a Pokemon-release: gotta catch em all! :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Just a short notice:
Slight delay for the test release due to different reasons. Had/have to write a whole load of startup scripts and finish the no-X session chooser (as replacement for choosewm). Got bitten by the lazy bug, too. So far things look good, all WMs work (42 I think we have now). Will finish it in a few days.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:17 pm

^ sweet. really looking forward to it.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 am

ah that lazy bug, let him have his way with you, there is usually good reason for it. nobody is in a hurry :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 am

pidsley wrote:^ sweet. really looking forward to it.
Pidsley, so do I :) I'd really love to add all WMs there, and also thinking about spinning a full-featured one with everything under the sun plus GTK/qt apps, because I already hear the whining why there's no graphical set of applications, and why the
migraine-causing
e17 is not added.

@rho: have had oyster :D
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

machinebacon wrote:I already hear the whining why there's no graphical set of applications
Maybe this will help a little. Otherwise, send the whiners to me.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:47 pm

And another update. If I'm not mistaken, we got 52 WMs in Gangbang now. My internet is damned slow and unstable (monsoon, flood, blackouts), so I'll wait with the upload. Please check if you find something is missing, it's the last chance :)

WMs
aewm \
aewm++ \
alopex \
amiwm \
awesome \
blackbox \
clfswm \
goomwwm \
ctwm \
dwm \
echinus \
euclid \
fluxbox \
flwm \
fvwm1 \
herbstluftwm \
i3 \
icewm \
jwm \
larswm \
lwm \
cwm \
monsterwm \
musca \
9wm \
notion \
openbox \
olwm \
oroborus \
pekwm \
ratpoison \
sapphire \
sawfish \
sithwm \
snapwm \
spectrwm \
stumpwm \
subtle \
tinywm \
twm \
tritium \
vtwm \
w9wm \
windowlab \
wm2 \
wmaker \
wmii \
xmonad \
DEs
e17 \
matchbox \
afterstep \
fvwm-crystal \

By the way, the installed system weighs in at around 1GB. There's still space. Should we stuff the sister with something like emacs? vi? :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:12 pm

machinebacon wrote:Please check if you find something is missing, it's the last chance :)
The last chance before the monsoon takes you away and just leaves us with 52 WMs. :D

The list is impressive, no idea if something is missing but Pid will know it. Emacs and vim sounds good, always compatible with those WMs.