VARIOUS: Gangbang (i686) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: Let's Gangbang!

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 pm

I don't see anything missing. That is an impressive list. Roast it!

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:53 pm

cook dat up bacon man!
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:06 am

Alright guys,

it's on the way up, seems the upload speed is quite stable (give it ~2hrs) -- surprising is the ISO size of ~460MB

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxb ... /Gangbang/?

Btw, evilwm was missing in the list above, but it's added :)

Some notes:
1) It's an alpha. I expect certain things not to work - unfortunately, I don't know what will not work ;)
2) Gangbang is really a Live ISO, so please, do yourself and the community a favor and don't install it.
3) The LISP window managers don't start up. If somebody has the time/interest to investigate, please do so and report back.
4) I've ditched conky. Some WMs override the wallpaper set in the WM's start-up wrapper. Don't bother, please.
5) There are some handy shortcuts: Alt-F1 opens the CLI Startmenu, Alt-F2 opens bbqrun, Alt-F4 kicks emacs, Alt-F5 opens a random website in roaster. Shift-Alt-Enter opens x-terminal-emulator, Shift-Alt-Q kills X. These things might not work with all WMs, but should. Please looky-looky at .xbindkeys in the home folder.
6) It's a non-PAE 686 spin. The kernel is still at 3.7, and this is on purpose. I wanted to make sure we have a working ISO in which we can debug stuff. The final version will of course bleed.
7) Oh yes, the session chooser is a simple dialog that calls wrappers like /usr/bin/<wm-name>-start -- so, if you want to change the startup behavior of certain WMs, you know where to look at.

Any questions/problems/ideas, please post them here. Thanks in advance!
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:17 am

machinebacon wrote: Btw, evilwm was missing in the list above, but it's added :)
Damn. Sorry I missed that.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 am

..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am

^^^ thorough! sounds supernice Jules, great stuff.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 am

cool d/l now
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 pm

I have started a support topic for Gangbang window manager questions. Questions like "how do I change the titlebar font in lwm?" should be asked there. Questions like "Bacon! Y U no include qupzilla?" should stay in this topic. :)

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm

This a good spot for "I have yet to break _____wm?" I have been booting it as a liveISO and trying my best to try out everything, and so far it's all been pretty smooth. Still, how do you guys do bugtracking? Do you want an informal "Hey Bacon....your shit is broke!" or a more formal ticket on the SF page?
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

As you wish, I track both forums and SF. It's not really a complex thing so a simple "Baconface! XYZwm donot worky" here on the forums must suffice.
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Just finished downloading, but won't get to try it out until this evening. Looking forward to it, I haven't even heard of some of these WMs.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Looks good so far. I like the WM chooser. Minor startup file issues:

1. cwm-start does not call hsetroot, so no background gets set. It does work if the hsetroot call is added.
2. flwm-start calls nitrogen --restore, so no background gets set. It works if the nitrogen call is replaced with hsetroot.
3. lwm-start calls "xbindkeys ~/.xbindkeysrc" -- this fails, so bound keys do not work. It works if call is changed to just "xbindkeys"

Several of the other startup files have minor issues like this. I would be happy to go through the startup files and fix them. Where can I upload a tar file if I do this? omploader is dead.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Pidsley, thanks a lot. Simply mail to bacon at linuxbbq.org or click here on "Full Editor" and choose "Upload as attachment"

(The problems I know of, blame it on my laziness. I partly really lost track and motivation)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 pm

OK, I think I fixed them. I'm lazy, so I created a new script called "start-wm" that contains all the xbindkeys and hsetroot stuff, then the individual start scripts just call that one with the name of the wm to start. Archive should be attached -- unpack it in /usr/bin.
Attachments
start-scripts.tar.gz
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks a lot, Sir. This will do perfectly fine.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Oh my gang! Already downloaded and will test and try to break it later.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 pm

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:02 pm

^ Nice. Rebuilding the ISO now after having removed a few bullshit packages (synaptic et al), and added screenfetch as well as the new starters.

Guess the ISO will be up in the next 12 hours, so if anybody reads this: be patient.
..gnutella..

missinglink
Rawdog

Unread post by missinglink » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks MB. Oughta have the iso dl'ed shortly. I'll be throwing this alpha, any gb revisions, and more BBQ at my new http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/1015E/ - the intel celeron 847 w/Ubuntu variant - over the weekend.
So far, only the yuktastic installed Unity 12.04LTS, systemrescuecd 3.7 and Knoppix 7.2 gimme automagic wifi connectivity. Once I get a proper dark distro working, the netbook will get cracked open for:
1) SSD installation w/Ubuntu enema,
2) to see if lazy netbook advertisers bloggers were misinformed yet again about the 2GB ram being "soldered" to the mobo.
Btw, still hoping to see a slartie-inspired "I was provoked" recipe down the line.
Many thanks!
Carry on ...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks ML. The recipe will surely come soon ;)

So, the ISO is up, a bit smaller in size (kicked synaptic and gparted), and now with Midori as GUI browser (additionally to xlinks2/roaster, for the folks who want a 'real browser'), screenfetch, the wm-starters (thanks Pidsley) and the fixed boot menu labels. The colonel is again coming from towo, version 3.7.10, and the packages are a snapshot of July 12, 2013. Please keep in mind that Gangbang is not recommended for a HD installation (thought bbqinstaller can be run, as root). Speaking of root, Gangbang needs no password and no manual login. If you ever encounter the problem that you need a password: bbq. If you want to hack into the running session and not be logged into the wmchooser, change to tty2 and log in as "root" with password "bbq".

The shortcuts are as follows:

Code: Select all

Ctl - Alt - Enter.....open x-terminal-emulator
Alt - F1.........open LinuxBBQ's Terminal Menu
Alt - F2.....................open a run dialog
Alt - F3...............open the dmenu launcher
Alt - F4...........................start emacs
Alt - F5......open a random website in Roaster
Alt - F6...................open Midori browser
Alt - F7......open the Window Manager manpages
Alt - F8.................open the Desktop Help
Alt - o........................decrease volume
Alt - p........................increase volume
Alt - Shift - q............quit window manager 
Ctl - Alt - Delete.......choose window to kill
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxb ... /Gangbang/
The alpha will be removed from the server soon after the updated version is alive and online.

I declare this the actual release, as it does what it says on the tin (the not working LISP-based window managers are still there, can't do anything about them but don't want to remove them, in case somebody wants to debug)

Have fun everybody and let's say the thread here is unofficially /closed. For support please click on http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441
..gnutella..