VARIOUS: Gangbang (i686) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

VARIOUS: Gangbang (i686) Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Remember the old Oyster? 40-something Window Managers and some Desktop Environments packed on an installable live ISO, it is.
Who needs Oyster when you can Gangbang? This time with 53 window managers! Oh Yeah!

Quick jump: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=4774#p4774
Support for Gangbang: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441#p4754
Direct download link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxb ... /Gangbang/

It's the final release, so enjoy! (Make sure you download the final release and not the Alpha!)

This is meant to be a demonstration platform for window managers rather than a full-featured, valid, installable distro. The GUI applications are Leafpad, Emacs, Midori, Lxappearance. Filemanagers are MC and Ranger. Audio players are mplayer, mpg123 and mocp. Everything else you can find in bbqstart. Please use Ceni to set up your network if needed.

The colonel is again coming from towo, version 3.7.10, and the packages are a snapshot of July 12, 2013. Please keep in mind that Gangbang is not recommended for a HD installation (thought bbqinstaller can be run, as root). Speaking of root, Gangbang needs no password and no manual login. If you ever encounter the problem that you need a password: bbq. If you want to hack into the running session and not be logged into the wmchooser, change to tty2 and log in as "root" with password "bbq".

The shortcuts are as follows:

Code: Select all

Ctl - Alt - Enter.....open x-terminal-emulator
Alt - F1.........open LinuxBBQ's Terminal Menu
Alt - F2.....................open a run dialog
Alt - F3...............open the dmenu launcher
Alt - F4...........................start emacs
Alt - F5......open a random website in Roaster
Alt - F6...................open Midori browser
Alt - F7......open the Window Manager manpages
Alt - F8.................open the Desktop Help
Alt - o........................decrease volume
Alt - p........................increase volume
Alt - Shift - q............quit window manager 
Ctl - Alt - Delete.......choose window to kill

A special thank you to Pidsley for the sources and start-up wrappers, and a special thank you to all the testers of the Alpha.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Let's Gangbang!

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Happy to see this coming back machinebacon. I vote for Roaster (only) and ceni (only). People who want more can install their own crap.

If you need any pre-release testing or WM config help, let me know.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:16 pm

yeah, I'm down with ceni and roaster.
I'd like to help with amiwm
maybe even continue my unblemished record as maintainer of icewm and err the other one?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks guys. We'll just:
- upgrade the rotten Oyster --> Question: Debian experimental kernel, towo, liquorix, slh, or a home-spun one?
- drop a few ugly things (bloat like gtk/qt dependencies and the live-installer -- I mean, who would seriously install this on his PC for real? Except Pidsley and wux :) Anyway there's bbqinstaller and also a new installer which needs some heavy testing)
- xbindkeys will be the desktop-agnostic launcher for the holy trinity (x-terminal-emulator, x-www-browser, dmenu_run)
- systemd for the win, I guess?!
- if somebody can manage to make Afterstep not look like the living room of a zombie... though, I tried hard and it always looks completely crap (yeah, they promise to rewrite their engine or whatever it was - must be its third year anniversary)
- Anything else?

Let's see how it develops, and if I need help I'll let you (plural) know. For luck there's the old Oyster ISO to start with, else I'd go crazy.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 pm

IMO, this is a WM demonstration platform, not designed to be installed unless by geeks like pidsley and wux. Saying this up front avoids the questions like "How do I remove all the WMs I don't want and just use WindowLab"?

1. towo kernel, non PAE. Or whatever is easy.
2. Drop gtk/qt and live-installer. I like bbqinstaller; it's easy to use.
3. Don't care about systemd vs. sysvinit. Whichever is easier for you.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Easy it is. Systemd vs sysvinitrc makes no difference in workload, but definitely some improvements in boot time etc.

How about adding some obscure WMs like Ardent, mcwm, monsterwm, ... well Pidsley, you know them better... guess they compile fine in Debian, don't they?
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:03 pm

What Pid says. We want CLI and WMs, not more, not less. :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 pm

I have not built monsterwm for some time, but it should build fine (it's in git, and it doesn't have a lot of dependencies). Could also add sithwm and cwm (like evilwm but better), and TTWM (tiny tabbed / tiler window manager) or I could just write a how-to for adding them. Maybe this is my excuse to learn how to build deb files.

(edit) I just checked, and monsterwm builds fine. So does the BSD version of cwm, and I know sithwm builds.

I don't have a bar in monsterwm, but I think that's not too hard to add. I will investigate.

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 pm

I'll take anything as long as systemd is includes, thank you. And i really like the liquorix kernel on Enough. And if you really want to know i still like qupzilla. Ceni is superb.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh right, the bar... Should we add a unified bar/panel like those days, or just keep the WMs plain vanilla as they come from the devs (I'd +1 this)?

Building deb packages somewhere between easy (checkinstall) and time-consuming (dpkg-buildpkg) -- for Gangbang I'd vote for checkinstall, because all ISOs have the same base.

@Veraendert: forget qt-packages on a 40WM ISO -- I'm already having a fun time kicking superfluous gtk packages ;)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Keep the WMs plain vanilla. Especially since you have xbindkeys available, we don't even really need to change the configs.

TTWM (now called Alopex) has a built-in bar. Monsterwm uses one of several bars available in Arch (it doesn't have its own bar). Gives people something to configure after installing if they really want it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:35 pm

dzen and xmobar and conky-pipe I suppose. Well we can simply add dzen2, xmobar and conky and a lil' README, and leave it to the user.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Pids
I'm a geek! you made my shitty day, better!

i agree with vanilla, but if this is a showcase shouldn't we showboat a tiny bit, at least a wall?
my own example: amiWM on oyster;
start cool
wow, an amiga desktop. perfect looks authentic, can't load anything.
end cool.
months later...
see someone with a 'full' desktop on web using amiWM
wow! an RC file to config
still tweaking...
like the latest oyster releases with an almost uniform wall/conky/dmenu setup
anyway all the other options are cool with me.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:47 am

ceni is cool
go with experimental kernel
leave out the browser. at this point users know what they want and can get it.
keep the wm's vanilla, as they come.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am

Dropping gtk2 completely means that the only GUI application is xlinks2 (I'm very okay with it) -- this would also mean that lxterminal and lxappearance would be removed, as a consequence. lxterminal uses gtk2 for its right-click menu. As I said, I'm okay with rxvt as terminal emulator, or even with xterm (and an inverted .Xdefaults) plus tmux.

Opinions, thoughts? The smaller the ISO, the better. There are enough CLI apps to keep the nerds interested, and as Ivanovicka pointed out: this is about WMs, not about fugly frontends. Those who don't like it don't need to download the ISO. Period.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am

works fine for me.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Perfect. I saw you edited the initial post. Nice to see, everything Gtk gone even bloat like lxappearance, no more borkage. :P

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 pm

No GTK is fine with me.

If you really don't mind building a few extra WMs for this release, you might want to add wmfs2.

$ git clone git://github.com/xorg62/wmfs.git
And this is alopex. It's a tiler with a master area and tabbed stack. the stack can be on the right or on the bottom, or not at all (monocle mode). The number of windows visible in the stack can be changed.

git clone git://github.com/TrilbyWhite/alopex.git

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Ceni is boss. Which wm's will be omitted due to turdage? I've had problems with i3 unfortunately in the past on Debian releases so never really tried it. I could never fathom why, but would hope/expect it to be included.

I look forwards to Oyster.
...oh.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 pm

^ don't want to hijack, but what types of problems?

Work hard; Complain less