Paardenrookvlees (LinuxBBQ MATE) RC

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

Paardenrookvlees (LinuxBBQ MATE) RC

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:18 am

The MATE flavour "Paardenrookvlees" will get an upgrade in late October, in 32 and 64 bit flavours. Due to its incredible stability, the new "Paardenrookvlees" will be a RC. Notable changes are an improved default theme and the new installer routine.

Please post suggestions and question for the next release in this thread.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Paardenrookvlees Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 pm

LinuxBBQ is pleased to announce the immediate availability of LinuxBBQ "Paardenrookvlees", featuring the MATE desktop in version 1.40. This is the RC 1, a 64-bit edition based on Debian sid with the 3.6.2 kernel from siduction and fully compatible to Debian.

MATE is the continuation of the abandoned Gnome 2.x project. LinuxBBQ is the first distribution to feature MATE out-of-the-box on a Debian sid base; however, long-term tests have shown that MATE is working smoothly in Debian sid. Non-free firmware and driver packages ensure best possible hardware detection.

Additional software shipped contains:
- BBQ tools (BBQ Menu, BBQ Hospital, BBQ Upgrade Weather Warnings, BBQ Cookbook, etc)
- Mirage (Image viewer)
- gtkVNCviewer (VNC client)
- CLI applications (bc, mc, ranger, irssi, elinks-lite, orphaner, newsbeuter, vim.tiny, etc)
- improved GUI installer
- Oroborus as fallback WM (unmaintained)

Username: bbq - Password: bbq

Direct link: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/paardenroo ... mate64.iso
md5 sum: 1c6058b208c68e9c92fbd7e6d1c77515

Please report bugs in the designated section: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewforum.php?f=6
If you have problems or questions, open a new thread: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewforum.php?f=3

Known bugs (all minor):
- CLI app entries in main menu: The final release will have them in a separate folder
- LightDM-Greeter has unused window manager entries -> They will be removed as soon as a decision about the fallback WM is made
- icon set 95% complete -> The missing icons can be replaced with similar ones

Thank you!
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (22.22 KiB) Viewed 12816 times
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

cool, going to check it out!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:21 pm

posting this from Paardenrookvlees MATE 64bit live session! - so wifi works well :)
audio works too, listening to Radiotray while typing this.
the thing looks smooth. i can see the amount of time spent on this release clearly. the icons, the applications, the themes, everything is set up nicely and thorougly. great job.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Thank you for your kind words. There are some minor bugs (due to the CLI apps still being linked in the Main Menu, like htop) that are going to be fixed until the final release.

The guys a MATE have done a great job, kudos to them :)

Please check the Internet -> Web Apps -> Youtube implementation, I couldn't test the performance of the Flash plugin on Radeon. Thank you :)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 pm

By the way, I recommend adding the "Brightness Applet" to the panel to quickly adjust screen brightness.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 pm

i've just spent ages playing with pardenrookvles
I love it!
always been a fan of mate (from trying mint 13) didn't like the mint too much, prefer something meatier!

i'm gonna have to put compiz on it though 8)

installing now!

cheers Bacon

Edit: youtube app works wonders, compiz seems even quicker.
really nice roast...8)

BTW passwd for 'root' is 'bbq' 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:19 am

^ i thought pw for root (su) was 'root', and pw for temporary root (sudo) was 'bbq'... correct me if i'm wrong.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:28 am

Thank you for testing! You can install Compiz to it and add it to the Autostart (Startup)

The root account (su) password is 'root' and the user (sudo) password is 'bbq'
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am

great release this Paardenrookvlees, everything works , feels and looks good, something to be proud over. i have tried MATE earlier but must admit that i have never liked it, but here it feels just right, maybe the magic bacon touch have started giving life to something rather......(insert adjective of preference) so a massive congratulations and
hurrahs are justified imo! P.S did check the live Bauchspeck too, it probably is equally good, but i do not get the new Gnome3 desktop, so therefore i leave it to others to comment on itD.S :) vic
Last edited by vic on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 am

just wanna say how settled i feel with this - def a RC (that does mean release candidate? Or maybe just Really Cool) Found out Marco can do compositing too. no spinny cubes though...
and no bloody freeezes i kept getting with trepang and #! - although that might be because i haven't installed chromium. 8)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 am

Thank you guys for testing and the nice words.

The MATE edition will stay as it is now, the changes for the final release in January 2013 are mostly "optical":
- completing the icon set
- rewriting the relevant parts of the cookbook
- a little upgrade of the snapshot tool
- a better integration of the upgrade warnings notifications

Roast well, guys!
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:29 am

LinuxBBQ is pleased to announce the immediate availability of LinuxBBQ "Paardenrookvlees", featuring the MATE desktop in version 1.40. This is the RC 1, a 32-bit edition based on Debian sid with the 3.6.6 kernel from siduction and fully compatible to Debian.

MATE is the continuation of the abandoned Gnome 2.x project. LinuxBBQ is the first distribution to feature MATE out-of-the-box on a Debian sid base; however, long-term tests have shown that MATE is working smoothly in Debian sid. Non-free firmware and driver packages ensure best possible hardware detection.

Username: bbq - Password: bbq

Download: http://linuxbbq.org/release_linuxbbq-rc1-mate.php
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 am

a live "quickie" with the Mate 32 release reveals more great stuff from the grill, if you miss the Gnome 2, this is a very worthy successor, and after the" machinebacon" grill treatment this one tastes veeeery goood! + the name Paardenrookvlees rolls very nicely on anyones tounge;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 pm

The RC2 of the 64-bit MATE edition is up and alive at http://www.linuxbbq.org/release_linuxbbq-rc2-mate64.php

No major changes here: 3.6.7 kernel (two versions behind, but that’s okay – 3.6.9 just came out on the day I uploaded this ISO and didn’t enjoy much testing), Iceweasel got replaced by Iceape, the Broadcom staging drivers are now included, and the new artwork is added. Those who use RC1 don’t need to do anything, the new artwork-metapackage will be packed in a few days and can be pulled in via APT.

There is a known bug when running mate-appearance-settings: the application doesn’t quit cleanly and spikes the CPU to 100%. The only solution so far is to killall the application through a terminal after changing the background or the theme. More about it in the README in user’s home.

Direct download: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/MATE/linux ... mate64.iso
md5: 7389e834ef5711afe2ad69fa6a87cc1f
Notes: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/MATE/linux ... enotes.txt
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Paardenrookvlees (LinuxBBQ MATE) RC

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 am

Bumped the 32-bit to RC2, too, after fixing a minor annoyance with DHCP and wired networking (thanks to Pidsley and Rhowaldt for reporting)

So, this is MATE in 1.4.2 with many fixes (most interestingly, the background/theme-switcher bug that spiked the CPU is now fixed)
We have arrived at the 3.7-1 kernel, back on Iceweasel ESR with a simple way to get Beta/Aurora (see /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bbq.list), Deadbeef for music, and redshift enabled by default. In its recent state, the RC2 can be considered the final release candidate. I have been testing it ex/intensively and it has proven to be one of the most stable DEs I have used in a long, long time. As good as an Argentinan steak.

Direct download: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/MATE/linuxbbq-rc2-mate.iso
md5: 0abad0f46772ee6fe1ca035c2ab44add
Size: 480MB

Short blabla:

Code: Select all

release codename

Paardenrookvlees

version

RC2 (i686)

kernel

3.7-1

architecture

686 (non-PAE), hybrid ISO

DE/WM

MATE

description

Debian Sid base install, no bloat

Notable packages

MATE desktop environment 1.4.2
    Iceweasel browser ESR (upgrade path to Aurora/Beta prepared)
    Deadbeef (devel) music player
    Mplayer2 media player
    Radiotray + improved channel list
    Conky
    Redshift
    BBQ Tools & BBQ Snapshot to create a customized redistributable ISO
    FlatStudio/Shimmerproject themes

Notes

Designed as Roast Your Own system with snapshot tool to create your own distro as ISO file
    686-PAE kernel can be installed via APT
    username and password: bbq
..gnutella..

MrPink
applies for custom title

Unread post by MrPink » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:47 pm

machinebacon wrote:So, this is MATE in 1.4.2 with many fixes (most interestingly, the background/theme-switcher bug that spiked the CPU is now fixed)
The bug is still there in the 64bit version. I can reproduce it at will. Everytime I choose the theme in the top-right corner of the list (I think it is called BBQdark or something like that), and then quickly choose another one, the system becomes unresponsive, all fans start blowing like a jet engine, and the CPU stats on Conky hits max.

This is on Paardenrookvlees 64bit, downloaded yesterday, booted from a live usb stick.

Also, this live system boots significantly slower than all other BBQ's I have tried. It stalls at the end of the boot process for half a minute with the following line:

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. xx
The x's look like an ip address, and the last two represent some text, I didn't get (I was writing it down on a piece of paper). I would say there are between 4 and 10 lines like this, but it seems to be a random number, never exactly the same, and there are between 10 and 20 seconds between them, so it makes quite a difference.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I had this,

check the very last section...
it's trying to find a wired connection.
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 pm

@MrPink:

yes, it's trying to discover DHCP on different irq's - please do following to get rid of it:

sudo pluma /etc/network/interfaces
remove the last lines so that it looks like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
save and exit. This should do.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 am

hey wait a minute... what the fuck is pluma? there's no Wiki article about that. in fact, i never heard of it before. text-editor is my best guess?

@mrpink: easiest fix: don't choose a theme in the top-right corner of the list and then quickly choose another one.

other than that: everything MB says (and i think wux has a valid link as well)