OPENBOX: Bakewell (amd64) Release Notes

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

OPENBOX: Bakewell (amd64) Release Notes

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:42 pm

...and then fellow user 'missinglink' asked for a new Openbox roast...

So, this is the secret recipe. You want Openbox without bullshit? An ISO smaller than 400MB? No gtk3 crap that will pull in the world of GNOME? Why you no bakewell?

Probably you found Coal (and Trollinger) too heavy, Darkside too crunchy, Cameltoe too X-ish, Dominator too rude, Elektra too sexy, Kielbasa too outdated, Sid too stable, Testing too borked, Stable too stale, the release notes tl;dr ?!

Do it. Download it. Install it. Bloat it. Snapshot it. Release it. Do whatever you like with it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbbq/files/
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Re: Bakewell (amd64) Release Notes

Unread post by bones » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Downloading now, will test 'er at home this evening!

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Dear Jules,
I cannot test releases as fast as you can make them. Good idea, though. I may see if I can talk the little girl into trying this one out.
-Joe
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Dear Joe,

We have been dealing with this problem for a long time now. Frankly, I believe the man is insane, and spends his lifetime roasting releases and facehumping Chinese girls while eating some undefined and raunchy foreign meat-dish. This is the only explanation I have. If this is not the case, I am lost, which I probably am already anyway, so what does it matter? Nothing! I'll just go make some more Wiki entries now...

-Roald
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:14 pm

What can I say?

I am touched and made humble that my surname has been used for what will surely be one of the foremost distros released in the last 15 minutes.

I am lost for words, so I will call on the wonderfully eloquent, and sorely missed, Professor Stanley Unwin to express how I feel: .... over to you professor
Talking bollocks for Wales

missinglink
Rawdog

Unread post by missinglink » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am

machinebacon wrote:...and then fellow user 'missinglink' asked for a new Openbox roast...
I dediacte this message to the time MB spends trying to smarten up this chump.
[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHgv4McMJUk[/BBvideo]
Great googley moogley, Bakewell! Next time I'll try to be more careful what I ask for.
Actually got it running live on the 3rd attempt. First two tries with dd to different usb keys hung up during boot. Emptied my diaper and xfburned a cd with eventual live success.

Show me how to save the scroll-o-matic fail live boot messages and I'll post a description next time. The cd had wackadoodle boot messages before I finally typed the command it wanted, allowing me to get to a startx point. Might have been possible with the usb keys, dunno.
IIrc, might have been the "failed to start LSB ... run /etc/rc.local if it exist ... See 'systemctl status rc.local.service' for details" - but don't hold me to that.

Oughta do a video next time so you guys can laugh your asses off.
Bakewell is def a black n blue schoolyard special. That's appropriate. It'll take a whole buttload of osmosis learning before I know enough to use this. All the more reason, I suppose, to give it a partition of its own. You know, right next to Darkside/Lightside/PenBang and Trollinger. Awesome spins anyone can put to use right now.

Somebody pls get back on YouTube and post howtos for the advanced software componentry. I can't wait to have to log in to a YouTube account to view the fbomb laced videos, "Clit for beginners," "Take a spin on our Boner," "GangBang: 50 wms in 50 minutes." Imagine the video suggestions scrolling down the right side pane.

Don't fret, I'll be baaack to get my bbq'd ass kicked around the campfire while youse guys howl at the flaming marshmallows igniting my lettuce.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:52 am

Finally got around to checking this one out. I tried to talk the little girl into installing it. She asked how long it would take...I told her that she'd be doing it and I was only going to help if she needed it. She says, "Hmmmm, well, I'll just stick to (sic) 'the one that was all gray at first' for now."

So I booted it instead, deciding that she'll be posting up .conkyrc configs with S11 in the near future. Our kids always have to rebel somehow.

My Review: The best parts are scrot-via-menu, BSD games, the fact that "Volume" == alsamixer, jed for text edits, CENI, and the fact that it doesn't suck. I thought about just writing the word "bloat" a whole lot with some features mentioned, but the truth is....for OB, it's not bad at all.

Seems like a nice little release. :D

Edit: After about 30 minutes...she asked to see what it looked like. I showed her, and she asked about other options. She's currently installing Coal 64....there may be hope for her yet.
Thanks BASIC

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 am

Ah, ok, the backstory to the photo. I read the other thread before this one.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 am

Posting from live Bakewell, btw, listening to trance radio, using Roaster, etc. Nice little loaf of OB goodness, bacon.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:59 am

So glad to hear that people of all ages and genders are capable of lovin' the purity!

Happy baking :)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:46 am

holy bakonatory...you are killing me... will bbqfeast;)

paolo
Head Banger

Unread post by paolo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:08 am

Wow ! I try it when I come back in the next weeks !
Thanks boss !
Dell Latitude C640 - CPU P4 2GHz - RAM 1,5 GB - made in 2002 - I'm in the Manjaro-i3 land now :)

MrPink
applies for custom title

Unread post by MrPink » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:13 pm

This is may be my favourite release so far (followed closely by Enough).
I only have one complaint: the xterm color scheme. In certain scenarios it is black on black and unreadable, htop for example..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Decided to check out Bakewell, the live usb did not work, downloaded and dd`ed again with the same result. Probably what missinglink experienced. Same thing happened with Coal64. This is the first time this has happened to me, so I were a little bit agitated for a while;) The message that I finally got were this;

Code: Select all

unable to find a medium containing a live file system
          modprobe:module i 8042 not found in modules dep
          modprobe:module atkbd not found in modules dep
Just wanted to mention this in case it happens to otheers too. Fixed my dilemma with burning the iso to cd and installed, everything works as supposed it seems, except the wireless, works for only a short while, then ceni has to be reconfigured, but I read somewhere here that it is a kernel thing, so I am cabeling when necessary.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks vic.
The 'module' warnings are unrelated, you can ignore them.
I am rather confused about the live file system error - I suppose DebianJoe (for example) used a USB stick to install (just guessing), and here for me it works too, as well as running in a vbox.

By the way, fixing the wireless you can try by installing the 3.9-8 kernel ("search 3.9-8" should work in terminal, and then install the header and image)

Short question to anyone who reads this:
- Did you have successfully installed/booted recent amd64 versions (Bakewell, Coal64, Wifey) from USB?
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Okay, little update on the USB issue:
judging from bug reports this seem to happen on an off with some kernels that confuse the disk order. You can try to (when the error is shown) remove the USB stick and put it back.
Others at Ubuntu report changing to an older USB2.0 socket would work.
Others changed the boot order to 1) USB 2) HD 3) CD/DVD

The built process is all the same here, so it must be something related to extlinux/syslinux/squashfs upstream and the kernel/initramfs. No idea right now...
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:51 pm

I used a CD-RW. Haven't tried it using the dd-to-USB method.

(edit) My mistake: Coal was CD, I dd'd Cameltoe. And didn't have any issue. I did have issues similar to the above when trying Boner the first time via USB, which I solved by verifing checksums, and then burning a physical disk. I had pulled it on a Win7 machine at work, and so I assumed that YUMI was the culprit.
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:10 pm

'pompous' works ok. here, posting from it right now.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:53 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I've come to the conclusion that it depends on three factors:
- kernel
- initramfs-tools (I always blame them!)
- hardware/BIOS
Very hard to rule the problem out, especially because I can't reproduce it here, not even when I disable all HDs in BIOS. Extremely annoying, because under the hood nothing has changed, except the kernel/extlinux/syslinux versions. I'll make a test spin (some small ISO with an obscure WM) and revert to older build tools, hopefully some of you guys can check it then and report back. Obviosuly, only the 64bit is affected. Anyway the architecture I hate with all my fucking heart.
Or we finally drop 64-bit for good. There's enough "Base" to pick from and I might bump 1-2 of them every few weeks. The grill is predestined for 32bit, yey. Opinions?
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 am

suits me, chief.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"