TDE: Hackbraten (i686) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

TDE: Hackbraten (i686) Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 am

The new week starts with the first of three remixes. Before you click on the download link like a tard, read these words aloud:
I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING AND CAN FIX THE MESS.
Nice, at least one of us. Now, go on.

LinuxBBQ Hackbraten i686 Distribution Release

LinuxBBQ is glad (nah, not really, but wtf) to announce the immediate availability of LinuxBBQ Hackbraten, a release featuring (I should have used quotes here) the Trinity Desktop Environment, based on Debian Wheezy (no kidding! the fucker didn't build on Sid), with unstable and experimental branches added to ensure upgrade possibilities (in other words: ways to pork your system in no time). "Hackbraten" is a cumshot of August 11, 2013. The kernel in use is at version 3.10-5 and comes from Liquorix (yeah, sorry)

Please be aware that (originally) the TDE is not compatible to Debian sid, due to version conflicts with gcc and binutils. Upgrades may fail, so please be sure to check what is going to be removed. The safest way is to keep the current installation and only add packages that are compatible with Trinity (apt-cache search trinity|less) or add packages from the Stable repositories. Not true. The safest way is to close the browser window now and use something that actually works.

In other words, this release is the most unstable of all LinuxBBQ remixes, so proceed with caution and expect breakages. I did my best to make this shit pork.

The build process was quite complicated. Due to dependency issues (binutils vs gcc) I had to roll back to a Liquorix kernel, build on Wheezy, downgrade two packages, set up TDE, and revert back to unstable/experimental. In other words, this is quite a load of shit, but it does work, and it is lighter than some XFCE desktop.
Attempts to install the Trinity graphics packages will fail due to a texmaker dependency; if you want to get around it simply change the sources to Wheezy and grab yourself the package from there. Other piles of crap are slow networking (you're free to fix it by digging into the KDE configs) and nVidia card only work with nomodeset option. Why? The fuck knows, I didn't bother to invest any more time than necessary into this ridiculous attempt to bring Trinity to Sid.

If you want the real thing, start with a Wheezy netinstall, add the Trinity sources, the keyring, and install the glory hole.

Download link will follow as soon as this beauty has found her way to the good servers of Sourceforge.

Have a good week everyone.
Attachments
hairy_vagina004.png
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Hackbraten (i686) Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 am

..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 am

How sweet. But really, why the hell they do not provide Sid packages? On the other side it runs on deprecated Qt3 but then even Gtk2 is deprecated for Gnome 3 folks. Let us build our own tool kit, Rotten Tomatoes.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:02 am

Well yes, the thing is that it relies on binutils <2.23 (or so), which is not compatible with gcc-4.8 (required for the newer towo kernels), and there is a hard dependency for a certain library of which I forgot the name (libsnmp?) I suppose it has to do with Konqueror (wild guess), because it funnily finds all devices on the computer even without providing passwords (I found this very handy) though I removed jokes like consolekit and policykit.
But yeah, agree with you, David.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 am

Ok, I come to the initial screen and then there is this funny, "Ctrl + Alt +Del" thing, but it does not recognize my keyboard and hence I cannot do anything.

Edit: Could also be the virtual machine, no idea. Sometimes it does it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:26 am

Try with [Right Ctrl + Left Alt + Del] or [Left Ctrl + Right Alt + Delete] or change to a tty and do the sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration :)
Ah yes, VM - I guess the Ctrl key is assigned as "Host" key and swallowed by vbox - don't remember how to change the host key to something else.
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:47 pm

With all the warnings of possible maximum porkage, how can I NOT try this out?

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 am

NO NO it cannot be true.. 122M in live mode?

kde always.. well, 400+-500+M idling

is htop having a bug in reporting ram usage?

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:11 am

Try installs on Intel celeron 2g .
Very slow installation.
Reboot cannot login.
It keeps looping back to login page...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:29 am

The installer hasn't changed at all since last year November...

Cannot log in means: in TDM (display manager) you enter your name and pass, have the right session chosen, but it comes back to TDM?

(by the way: have you read and understood the sentence in the box, in post #1? Not trying to be a bitch, but this edition is a load of shit OOTB, thanks to upstream)
..gnutella..

Eren
apt-getter

Unread post by Eren » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Woah, you used Trinity, I love you bacon!
I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound