Escargot64 1.0 (LinuxBBQ Base) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

Escargot64 1.0 (LinuxBBQ Base) Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 pm

LinuxBBQ is pleased to announce the immediate availability of LinuxBBQ "Escargot", the LinuxBBQ base installation featuring the Openbox window manager.

Escargot" is available as amd64 with 3.6.9 kernel by towo, fully compatible with Debian.

Aimed at intermediate users, "Escargot" is released with systemd, replacing the old and trusted SysV service manager, multiarch enabled and experimental repos added. This means that users can now download GIMP v2.9 and Inkscape v0.49, for instance. Non-free firmware and driver packages ensure best possible hardware detection.

GUI applications include:
- PCManFM file manager
- Roaster browser
- LXappearance theme switcher
- Leafpad text editor

CLI applications are:
- tmux terminal multiplexer
- mc, ranger file managers
- Ceni network manager
- moc, mplayer2 media players
- newsbeuter RSS fetcher
- various other tools and utilities

Note: This release replaces the previous Pihtije and Disznosajt editions. "Escargot" is the version that is designed to act as "Roast Your Own" base. With the bbqsnapshot tool users can create their own redistributable remasters as ISO file.

Username: bbq - Password: bbq

Direct link: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/Base64/lin ... rgot64.iso
md5: adda46ad29194878b858b6c4da1a0f57
Notes: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/Base64/lin ... enotes.txt
cargot.png
shop1.png
tool.png
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Escargot64 1.0 (LinuxBBQ Base) Release News

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Nice! Downloading now. Looks great from the scrots.

Work hard; Complain less

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:39 pm

exited to try this one out, will download etc as soon as possible:)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:52 pm

machine, I have not installed yet, only ran live. Looks great! Question, it did not recognize my wireless card , broadcom, and when I ran ceni, still did not recognize. From reading the specs, I was surprised it did not pick it up. The other releases, like Oyster and Bauschpeck picked up my card. Sorry, its not too much detail, writing this from work....

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:13 pm

dkeg,

the broadcom-sta staging driver is already installed, but if you need b43 please check the folder /home/bbq/b43-firmware

Some of the drivers exclude each other, so if you install one package it removes the other. The only way to 'fix' this was to add the .deb packages separately. They are easy to install (dpkg -i name_of_package.deb)
There's also a README in that folder and I have placed the Debian instructions (http://wiki.debian.org/wl and http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx) as offline documents. It's described in the README.

b43-firmware, firmware-brcm80211, iwlwifi and broadcom-sta are either already installed or packed in the folder. Simply too many similar drivers, I really hope you get it to work :)

By all means, let me know the "lspci --nnk" of your network devices for troubleshooting and future reference.

@vic: Get her :)
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 pm

oh cool, no problem. I only poked around for a few while feeding the kids and dogs this morning. Yeah, good with the deb files so that sounds simple enough.

Wish I was working from home today... :)

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm

The root of all: https://plus.google.com/b/1018398984688 ... 9QiGJgCr7d

(Lengthy...., starting at comment #14 or so)
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 pm

thanks, good stuff

Work hard; Complain less

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm

hey machine, still having trouble. I have Broadcom BCM43225. In the README, it says to look at README_wl, but that does not seem to exist.

I took a scrot, but I guess it didn't save. I can't run any of the deb files in firmware directory, says either I don't need or it's already there.

When I go to configue CENI it's not picking up the card, only shows eth

what am I missing...

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Sorry drew,

you need either http://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211 or http://wiki.debian.org/wl

Actually, brcm80211 should be already installed (can't check it now), please look here: http://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211#Wheezy

Sorry that I cannot help much :/ Just follow the two guides., one after the other. Either must pick it up.

Edit: Found it - you need to blacklist or unload the driver in use. Thanks Debian. http://wiki.debian.org/wl#Wheezy
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:08 pm

okay, if I can tonight, i'll hardwire in and get this done. I'll post back. thanks man.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Hope you get it roasting. Pretty sure that the newly added staging driver that messes up the things, they're the only firmware I added since last time.
..gnutella..

Anaconda
Virgin

Unread post by Anaconda » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 am

The iso @ http://linuxbbq.org/release_linuxbbq-1.0-escargot64.php seems to be the same one posted at the beginning of this thread but the md5sum given on the download page is not the same. I had downloaded from there and thought I had a bad download so tried a second time. Got the same md5 result the second time. It was only after this that I began to poke around some more and found this thread.

Seems my download was fine according to the md5sum listed here on the forum. The one given on the above mentioned link seems to be incorect.

Oh and after being away for a little while, I must say that i really do like the new look of the forums. Nice job.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 am

Thanks anaconda for your message and sorry about the checksum issues. The main page is being reworked and the releases will point to forum posts. There are strange things happenening when iso's have a similar filename, the autogenerate script seems to fetch older checksums. I'll tell rhowaldt about it :)

Generally, using "wget -c url.to/the/iso.iso" will grab the copy in a reliable way, better than download managers in browsers. So, if you use USB sticks, simply check if the file size corresponds and dd the file anyway.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am

ah well, that sounds sucky. here is where my autogenerate php skills become unveiled as being noobish :) we'll discuss how to facilitate this better. thanks for posting Anaconda.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Rho, we had no chance to test it in a real environment, so don't take the blame. I noticed that the autoreleases page didn't always update the md5, though in certain directories it did. Black magic!

One question though: what determines the sorting on the releases_autogenerate page? It's apparently not date and not alphabetical order. Black magic again? :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

uhm... lemme think... i can't remember. check the php-code? :D
if i can program Black Magic i can at least die a happy man :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:29 am

This is great. 1050 packages. Blazing quick. With systemd config'd better super fast boot up and halt. Super cool- never above 50c even watching video, etc. Tools and scripts built in are amazing. Very thoughtful userspace. Real good on resources- very stable and low power consumption. Never over 10w with video running. Very low base. I have TLP and Hardran's power savings script- but powertop is showing all options 'Good'. Very impressive, and great to use. Feels stable. I have encountered a couple of issues with iceweasel and video as well as with Roaster but that is all.
...oh.