Threesome (i3wm) Release News

Forum rules
The releases are not supported anymore. You can install and upgrade, but if you break it you are on your own.
machinebacon
Baconator

Threesome (i3wm) Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Another special edition for 32bit is LinuxBBQ "Threesome", featuring the brand-new i3 window manager in version 4.4 from their repos.
Included packages are slightly different this time due to the minimalist nature of this fabulous tiling WM:

Web browsers
- dwb
- roaster
- elinks
(Flash plugin enabled, for adblocking please check ~/bin/adblock-host)

File managers
- gentoo
- ranger
- mc

Editors

- leafpad
- nano
- mcedit

Viewerz

- mirage
- feh
- epdfview

Media players
- deadbeef
- mplayer2
- mocp

plus a few more.

username: bbq password: bbq

check the README and APP files in the home folder, and install with 'gksudo live-installer'
The keybinding Alt-F1 is bound to a simple xmessage menu (to customize it, edit /usr/bin/i3menu as root) so please use it ;)
99% of the setup is i3's default - only added autostart for nm-applet/volumeicon/clipit/redshift and put the menu in floating mode
unimportant note: I disabled xsession-error logs because processes spammed their debug there and it grew continuosly. I have kept two websites in dwb's buffer (about customizing xmessage and disabling xsession-error logs) so you can see what it is about.

Direct link: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/Threesome/ ... eesome.iso
md5: d29e3c53d441ce9257866844f72153c8
size: 371 MiB (389,021,696 bytes)
Attachments
3some.png
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Threesome Release News

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 pm

cool, i have no idea about i3 so fun times.
you might have missed an editor to make it 3x3x3x3x3 8p

concept distros a-go-go 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Threesome Release News

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 am

Edited :D
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Threesome (i3wm) Release News

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 pm

dude, awesome! looks super light. talk about no bloat. This looks like it may be my next project and make this my Roast my own. 64-bit?

this is by far my favorite wm. It has the perfect balance in mouse and keyboard driven window manager. I lke how it is actively developed , great website, documentation, etc.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Agreed, a nice wm it is.

But it will probably stay 686 for a while - or forever alone :) Basically it could be put on a Escargot from scratch by adding the i3 repos (link is on their website)
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 pm

yes. Actually did that with the Kielbasa release. Did it right before I posted up that is was released. And it comes with the patch to fix the border issue with urxvt. Some other cool features that are nice is when you change the config and have errors, if you choose to 'show' errors, they open in your current terminal, not a separate one, and back and forth mode for workspace navigation. All in all seems to run a bit smoother. Now I don't know why, but with older versions I would sometimes get mouse spin when an application was opened, not that it would be delayed, just was spinning. The app was opened and usable. Just one of those things.

Work hard; Complain less