Chef presents 'Sir Scrotalot' a scrotactacular.

scrots sorted by users. create your own thread if you wish so ;)
ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Re: Chef presents 'Sir Scrotalot' a scrotactacular.

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Fresh Debian install. I feel bloated.

(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:47 pm

^ Looks good; useless gap patch?

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah its the only patch of coarse 'useless' but I do like a little bit of visual separation on the bigger monitor. Not much left to do maybe bind Firefox to some keys then I will resurrect 2wm.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 am

I like how it looks. Reminds me of some of dkeg's scrots.

I always patch dwm with 'attachaside' and 'bottom stack' because I want it to behave more like scrotwm and I don't have a fancy wide monitor. Then I wonder why I don't just use scrotwm.

I should see if I can build dwm on Alpine.
(edit) I can. (-:

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 am

That nord color is very much like dkegs traffic which I used for a long time. (blue/greys)

I used to do the bottom stack but its one of those things when I really started looking at my flow closely I was not even using it. I will have to read up on 'attachside'.

Right now just Tag 1 term 1-3 terminals. Tag 2 full screen Firefox. Tag 3 is Geany full screen and I use that if I am copy and pasting multiple files, if I am just editing one file at a time I tend to use vim. Tag 4 file manager full screen probably MC (been using since late 80's and dos days), ranger or vifm in full screen. Tag 5 misc could be video (mpv) or music (mpg123, cmus, mpd).

That's it simple.

scrotwm=spectrwm ? really nice I did play around with it bit then went back to what I know.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:18 am

Yes, spectrwm was called scrotwm when I started using it. Now there is also "sscrotwm" (shriveled scrotwm) -- a slimmed-down version of spectrwm without a status bar or some of the other bloat that got added to spectrwm.

Attachaside starts new windows focused in the stacking area instead of becoming the new master. That's also how spectrwm/sscrotwm work, so it's what I was used to (scrotwm was my first tiler).

I play with other window managers on my test machines, but I haven't used anything other than ratpoison on my main machine for a long time.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 am

Nice scrot there chef, been a long time since i use dwm. I'm all for fullscreen stuff these days.

Scrotwm used to be my go to wm after i saw Slob's insanely beautiful scrot http://dotshare.it/dots/337/. Damn that was 6 years ago, time sure flies.
rice no more.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 pm

^^ interesting patch and I can see why one would want that, probably add and check if I can work it into my flow. Thanks for the shriveled link going to take a look. "It was forked from scrotwm when it became too bloaty and when the authors decided on an unfortunate name change to spectrwm due to butthurt users." The Shriveled scrotwm README is priceless.

^ thanks franks and thanks for sharing the slob shot she is a beauty. Time does seem to move faster the older you get and I'm flying down the freeway with my head out the window like a dog.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm

ChefIronBelly wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 pm
The Shriveled scrotwm README is priceless.
I thought you'd like that. The wm2 readme is also interesting: https://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wm2/

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm

That's good, has me thinking is it time to set another challenge for myself and if so what would my 5 design points be. hmm

^^^
Frank I started tiling on wmii so I was suckless ing and running arch about the time there was a dwm explosion and some great patching threads were born.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Another day another OS, as you can see in the last three shots very portable.

Edit updated mostly completed some behind scenes stuff.
Last edited by ChefIronBelly on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 pm

You are making a tour through BSD land. :)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 pm

This is me being bored doesn't happen very often. I did hit all the BSD's that were on my list (Free, Open, Net, Dragon, Minix and Mir)

What next source based or tiny stuff ?

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm

2wm is back...

Very workable, still getting used the attach and detach.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:30 pm

gawd it feels good to be systemd free ;)

So I found a old 60g old laptop sata spinner hard drive laying around and seen the wu clan post which led me to the pidsley post showing his Alpine setup. So why not, scrot play or it did not happen.

What a fantastic distro, it had been a few years now the docs and packages have really filled out. This is what linux should be IMO and can be when you stop eating at the all you can eat buffets.

Still looking at the pgrep / busybox in my info script for sorting the wm array.
just apk add procps-3.3.15-r0 easier ;)

my bag of tricks https://github.com/ChefIronBelly/alpine

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 am

^ Nice. I did notice that they have a lot more packages than the last time I tried Alpine. I also like that the -docs are separate packages, so you can install only the ones you need. I'm almost ready to try using it on my main machine -- I like it that much.

busybox pgrep doesn't have the -u option, so I just removed it in env-info:

Code: Select all

pid=$(pgrep -x $wm) # if found, this wmname has running process
Seems to work fine without it.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:54 am

apk del procps-3.3.15-r0 = one less package, ^ does work fine without. The docs being separate is great and every command that I needed had the -h flag ... so no docs here. The Ati radeon was a bit of PIA. They have a whole wiki page for it but firmware was in edge repos or something not remembering. I really cant remember having to mess with a xorg.conf in like forever but I had to create and edit with the accel method mentioned in the wiki or it would freeze.

I really think I can use Alpine as a daily driver.

Bigger isn't always better at least that's what I tell the ladies :p

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm

You both inspire me to give it a whirl. Alpine sounds like a fun project and actually very interesting and the philosophy is very BBQ-like.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Might pull out the old Inspiron for this. :)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 am

So today I finally got around to setting up and using a pi for a audio streamer to my main audio system. I decided on Dietpi for its debian roots and lean profile. I could have used about anything here but because debian must have 10 x the pi packages as everyone else.

The only two streamers are pianobar for Pandora and tinyradio (thanks pidsley) for Soma and one streamripper. I'm just running over ssh for remote control for now. So this scrot play is me running my NetBSD ssh'd into the the pi running tmux and tinyradio.