noo_b_nomnoms- scrots

scrots sorted by users. create your own thread if you wish so ;)
Theo
CLIt Licker

Re: noo_b_nomnoms- scrots

Unread post by Theo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:38 am

simgin wrote:^^ Is that on a netbook? Just thinking of the screen size :)
It was an old Pentium II (233mhz) machine with a small screen :)

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 pm

I know ^ my vision is not what it used to be, so I sometimes go big to keep from squinting, and I reall should have left the italics out^^ I will handle all that later on the road. I'm still at home and trying to throw things together while I have some unlimited data to work off, lols.
Theo I love that JWM! going to take a look at that. I did have a puppy with that for a while, but I found puppy a little hard to work eith when trying to install outside programs (pysol) so I dropped it. But that scrot looks delicious! :) This is the spin that I cannot pronounce or remember how to spell, lols Egeszsegedre. Just installed, added links2, moc, mplayer2, but still studying how to use all those keybindings and how to config what/where/when/how,lols
Attachments
feh_007812_000001_2016022914567561951280x800.png
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:04 pm

I really need some kind of class on fonts, lols. How to install, how to use, kind of an "Idiots Complete Guide to Fonts" :)

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 pm

I guess this should get you started:
http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Font_rendering

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 am

Thank you, rust collector! :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 am

Shortcut: install 'fonts-droid fonts-cantarell', go to the Appearance settings of your desktop environment, pick the new font (Droid or Cantarell), Regular, size 10 or so, then to the font settings, you can try with the different RGB ordering, anti-aliasing and hinting. Apply, test, open a few applications, see how the menu bar and the widget text is rendered, close the application, go back to Appearance settings, etc.
Sounds like a cheap howto, but it really depends on your monitor/screen, the display resolution, and even widget background/foreground colors. There is *no* universal setting that looks good for everyone all the time. As said, you change the theme and your fonts might start to look washed out or garbled.
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Thank you, machinebacon! :) Theo I just installed JWM and now I'm gonna take a look at that script to see if I can duplicate (it does look very sharp!). I haven't had a chance to mess with the Egeszsegedre yet, but I am going to try to give that terminal a dark bg, and I have not had any luck at all changing the wallpaper- in fact, now I have a black background- which means that I have messed up the wallpaper script, so the fallback script is working, I think. Hope you guys had a great weekend! I am now a father-in-law, so there is no denying my elderly status anymore, lols!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:17 am

Cantarell fonts.png
This is with the Cantarell fonts at 10 subpixel slight hinting RGB- just enough to take the blur out of the o's. I never even noticed that until I started playing with it. Thanks! Btw, for some reason I couldn't find the fonts-droid. This Cantarell looks ok, yes? Thanks, again, though I'm catching myself looking around for blurring, and I think I see just a little. Maybe full hinting? Or something else?

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:30 am

Ok! I have a background on Eseszsegedre! Yay! I still have not figured out how to change the terminal background. I thought it was in ~/.Xresources, but I went in and changed them and nothing changed. The white background is not terrible, but just a little bright. Maybe I missed something in ~/.xinitrc? I am gonna go back there. But,hey! Wallpaper! :)
Attachments
feh_002096_000001_2016030114568599301280x800.png

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:35 am

^^ Try the different hinting, antialiasing, RGB values until it looks good for you. I think it is still a bit blurry... The font inside of Opera is not affected by your font selection, by the way -- usually, graphical browsers (not dillo) get the fonts from the CSS of the website. Some browsers can override these choices with local fonts, see Settings.

The droid package (enter "search droid font" in your terminal) is now called fonts-droid-fallback (for whatever stupid reason) in Sid.

^ Hint: ~/.Xresources has usually a LAST line saying:

Code: Select all

#include </home/user/.Xresources_colors>
You would use "chuck" instead of "user". So, add this line to ~/.Xresources and save.
After making this change, log in and out again.
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:56 am

Heck yeah! Thanks, machinebacon! :) This is looking good! I am really starting to like Egs!
Attachments
success.png

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:31 pm

On my monitors I always use slight hinting.

But it looks already better there.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks, ivanovnegro! I think I'll try slight over full when I get back to the Mate. Does it look blurry to you as well? I don't know if maybe I was just looking at it for too long...? I tried messing with the RGB v BGR, etc, but still I think it's just slightly blurry. With the subpixel hinting I saw real clearing and more definition. I just don't know :(

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Nope. Nothing is blurry here. But I use all the possible workarounds for fonts to make them look just how I want it. RGB, too and 96 for dpi in my case.

I am the font guy btw. So if you have more questions just open a new thread specifically for fonts, in the support section or look at some of my how-to's.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:30 pm

The tip of the day is really: install a bunch of fonts, try them in different sizes, with different RGB and subpixel blah blah. On my Thinkpad, the Liberation Sans-9 looks crisp, and I use the ~/.fonts.conf from the bottom of our wiki page.
http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Font_rendering
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks to both of you! I never really got into fonts, but now that I'm really looking at them it's kind of weird that I haven't. There's a lot to be said about the way you see them and eye strain. I'm not squinting nearly as much. Now I have to figure out how to configure them in jwm. I installed it directly from the repos, but the rendering is horrible. I will post in the proper thread for that. There is actually spacing and run-together, especially in the terminal, but I will start a thread in the proper place soon as I get back to it. Thanks, again!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks to Chef, I have a new favorite wallpaper! :) I added xclock,moc, and cryptkeeper to the menu for convenience, and needed something to hold the cryptkeeper icon so I installed stalonetray and added it to the menu as well. It is invisible until you add something to it, so you click on cryptkeeper, left-click hold on a blank spot on the screen. Then release-click on the stalonetray box that appears whatever you might need a click icon for, and there it is. Just resize the blank windows for the xclock,stalonetray, and cryptkeeper to tiny boxes and hide them under the clock,lols! :) I am still getting to learn the window keybindings, so I am sure there is one that would just hide them, but hey! Getting there! I just added stuff to the menu and they actually work! Lols! Baby stepping, y'all!
Oh! I had to do a config file for the tray, so I just copy-pasted one that I found online. I am going to play with that a little. I think I can move it over to the far r/s corner, and it may be hiding at first because of a line in the config. More work to do, but that's how I learn! :)
Attachments
GOTcrow.png

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:33 am

Looking good, noo_b_nomnoms! You are rapidly getting better at this. Keep it up, and I cannot wait to see more :)
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 am

Thanks, elixir! :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 am

look at this transformation, from "Chinese Rice Cooker with integrated fridge" to "firewood and matches". Well done nomnom.
..gnutella..