noo_b_nomnoms- scrots

scrots sorted by users. create your own thread if you wish so ;)
noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Re: noo_b_nomnoms- scrots

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:54 pm

@rust collector I can get this old monitor to work, but not at bootup :( I have to <fn> CRT to get it on, and it usually doesn't respond until Violator is halfway loaded. Will not turn on at all at bootup- just gives a vertical/ horizontal error until the OS starts loading. I can't even get it to work at the grub- which, I think, means that it is having a problem with those framebuffer screens.
I just am not smart enough to figure something like that, so I'm gonna drink alcoholic root beer and enjoy what I've got for my days off :))
@simgin My neighbors know better, lols
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:55 pm

^^ Wow, yes I see you are enjoying yourself Chuck :D
Btw that monitor is fucking huge, you need an aircraft carrier sized desk for that one :o

cheerio
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:35 am

I seriously don't know where I am going to put that thing in my sleeper, lols! But, it allows me to continue playing with this. I will have to reinstall everything once I get that thinkpad, but I should have a good enough grip on it and a better idea of how I want it to look.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Re: noo_b_nomnoms- scrots-Violator

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:49 am

2016-02-03-194434_1024x768_scrot.png
Getting the hang of this! Added Clementine

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:58 am

Nomnoms while you are using window manager without window decorations, it would be aesthetically more pleasing when you're using curses or cli based apps. And it won't eat up 97% of your memory either.
rice no more.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:48 pm

I guess I should use moc instead, but I really just wanted a music player that I could just use atm.I am still adjusting to a screen that is not right in front of me (which forces me to do a little extra concentrating because of my attention deficit problems),but this is just a temporary fix until I get a replacement laptop.
I have been checking out some of the leaner apps,though :-)
Thanks! And you are right- those big bloated apps may be easy to use, but they do fug up a clean screen,lols

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:24 pm

I would definitely try moc, it is not so overly complicated as it may seem. Start it in a terminal with "mocp". Navigate with cursor keys to you Music directory, press A (capital A) and then all music should be moved into a playlist already. Press <Tab> to move over to the playlist and hit Enter. That's all.

Later you can assign keybindings to i3 that do something like Play/Pause, Next, Prev, Shuffle.

You may want a volume control in the bar. Install volumeicon-alsa. Put

volumeicon &

somewhere in ~.xinitrc before the "exec i3" line. It will appear after login.

But first get moc to work :)
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:43 pm

env-info.png
Here's moc- I installed volumeicon-alsa, geanied ~.xinitrc and found an empty page :( Me and configs! I tried dkeger, picked out Purple Rain and it copied to the correct folder. I then tried copy-pasting it to my i3 config file, but you can guess what happened when I restarted i3, lols. I REALLY need to learn how to correctly do some of this! Moc is doing fine, btw :) I just need to learn some of the keybindings. And it does look more appropriate for this desktop.
Thanks for the help!

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 am

^ Nice work mate, welcome to the leaner/skinnier world. In no time you will be doing what Weight Watchers could only dream of :D
Big fan of Britney Spears?

cheerio
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 am

^Don't judge! Lols! She's a Louisiana girl, and, um, she, um is quite a talent :-/
OK! yes i kinda like her stuff ( at least my menu didn't show down far enough to reveal that Backstreet Boys folder...ehehe)

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 am

Now that's more like it.... Oh and the dark solarized everything theme... Rusty would be proud
rice no more.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:22 am

^Thanks! :-)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:27 am

1) open a terminal
2) enter:

Code: Select all

nano ~/.xinitrc
3) the thing you see there is basically the autostart for all window managers, but it will execute the window manager in the last line -- examples are "exec x-window-manager" or "exec i3" or "exec openbox-session"
4) go a line above this "exec..." line and add what you want to have started at login, each item in its own line - important is to add the ampersand (&) behind it, for example

Code: Select all

sleep 2s && volumeicon &
This will make the execution of "volumeicon" delay 2 seconds - sometimes helpful if you run panels.
5) Press Ctrl-o
6) Press Enter without changing the file name.
7) Press Ctrl-x
8) leave i3 and log in again

Lesson learned: you don't need geany for such simple edits. ;)

http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2074
http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2407
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:36 pm

franksinistra wrote:Nomnoms while you are using window manager without window decorations, it would be aesthetically more pleasing when you're using curses or cli based apps. And it won't eat up 97% of your memory either.
Yep. We offer a nice collection on every default BBQ install.
Go cli man. ;)

Look look, I see now you are getting there Nommy.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Don't always need a sledgehammer. GUI is just drapes over the window. Keep it up!

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:42 pm

@nomnom: just remember 3 keybinds in moc: q = quit but music keeps playing. Q = quit but music stops. ? = help menu :D
if you do q you go back to your terminal with music still playing (the music server still running). type mocp again to start the interface up again to switch to a better Britney track, from the time before she shaved her head. the program is, for all intents and purposes, perfect. once you become more familiar with it, have a look through the config file and look at quick-directories and commands and such. for example, i set my F3 key to copy the song currently under the cursor to a separate directory, for example for the purpose of making music usb sticks or fill your ipod etc.

btw, Jules' method of using the playlist is different from mine: i just play shit directly from the directory. press "l" (lowercase L) to change layout and remove the playlist bit. then navigate to music dir, go to song, press ENTER, done. simple as pie.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:52 pm

^ ah okay, that's a way too. TBH I really just remember "a" or "A" with the mnemonic "add" or "append" - which might be totally wrong :D

The nice thing about mocp is that you can switch tracks from the terminal, with -f (--next) and -r (--previous) - of course these are the commands to assign to a key.
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm

look_at_this_mess.png
Thanks, y'all! I have a small problem, now, but I don't think it has anything to do with moc. I did the script in ~.xinitrc and it showed that it was written (^o ), but after restarting the computer, I gots no volumeicon :(
I would send a scrot, but every scrot I take now is blank.
I did an upgrade through the bbqapps~ earlier, and I had not taken a scrot since then, so I think I borked with the upgrade. I have noticed a few other quirks as well.
This is not a problem, since I keep a list of do's and don'ts and adds and add-nots, so a reinstallation might be in order. Then I can take a fresh shot at that volumeicon and leave some of those heavier apps out. :)
I managed to get to this Mate desktop that I installed over Break! I don't know how- sometimes the monitor picks up the Grub boot screen and sometimes it doesn't, lols!
Anyways, on Wednesday the wife will be ordering that refurbished Lenovo T500, so I have 23 days out on the road to hammer aaway at this setup and get my ducks in a row!
I think that I will be joining the "I don't upgrade" camp from here on out, though! If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? (This attitude should last about three days knowing me)
I am not giving up on i3! Once you get the basics down on it, it is waaay faster and lighter than this type of setup! And it looks cooler! But I think a fresh install instead of trying to fix whatever the upgrades did might be a wee bit easier for this noob!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:49 pm

We have an Upgrade Warning section (everything posted there is serious, so take it seriously), and "xserver" packages were in transition, or even are. There is no need to dist-upgrade (you only need to run "upd" or "sudo apt-get update" if you want to install something after a few days or weeks of not having installed something from the repos).

Start again from scratch. Take a release that has an X server already installed (so anything that is not NOX or Framebuffer only), for example the violator. Add volumeicon-alsa and moc on top of it. Create a new directory called "~/confbackup" and issue a row of commands like:
cp -r ~/.i3 ~/confbackup # the -r copies everything in the directory recursively
cp ~/.xinitrc ~/confbackup
so you can save working setups before you butcher them.

Edit ~/.xinitrc and play around with i3 configs.

(if you like, please paste your ~/.xinitrc now, here - the one which is not working. I am sure it is a typo... I'd like to see that file, for future reference)
demo.png
demo.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 83262 times
So it should look something like this. Just a demo :)
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:18 pm

I can't scrot on Violator atm. I wish I could, because I know you're right. All I get are black png's from my scrot command. I also tried the bbqscrot from the dmenu, but I got the same thing.
I almost hit "n" when I saw all the Xorg stuff in the upgrade, but I had to light the fuse, lols.
I will start with a clean Violator, and I am trying out links2 atm to see if I can deal with a lighter browser (was using Midori)