Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: The Web General

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:44 am

^ Great, thanks for the tip.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:04 am

ivanovnegro wrote:Are you sick of this new cookie policy in the EU? On almost every site you have a script that alerts you about cookies. It takes screen space and is just plain annoying.
I found something against it. You can block this shit with Adblock Plus and of course with our beloved uBlock, just put the huge list into your filters:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/liamj ... rusive.txt

Or go to the official site and follow the instructions:

http://prebake.eu/
(quoted due to page break)

this is brilliant, although most annoying on mobile, where (BBC I'm looking at you) 2/3rds of the screen is 'do you want to accept cookies' y/n
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:15 pm

some sites even do "do you want to accept cookies? YES" - that's it. i mean, the idea behind it is okay but indeed it is annoying as fuck.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:55 am

I have ASCENDED!!1! Not really, but in all seriousness I found a setup that works pretty well for me and maintains a small browser fingerprint. I dropped the wonderful hardening script Stark linked to into my ~/.config/firefox/*.profile and tossed on a few addons:

Certificate Patrol
- Make sure it is enabled for private browsing mode too, as it won't do you much good if combined with the above user.js.

Greasemonkey
- I still have a few userscripts that I use from time to time on websites.

HTTPS Everywhere

NoScript
- With a rather large whitelist. Sites like Reddit/YouTube can be a pain to browse without java enabled.

Stylish
- Darkening everything that I can with userstyles and changing the html5 bar in YouTube to a color that fits my current palette.

And adding this string in my about:config (I will usually set the value as the most common Firefox user agent.)

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override
Attachments
panopticlick-eff.png
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:00 pm

I always tried to find an add-on that would force my own fonts or vice versa, especially on Chrome. On FF you can force your fonts but sometimes it interferes with symbols on the web.
There is such an add-on. You can still force all your fonts but make some exceptions to use the web fonts or use web fonts only and force fonts on specific sites. At least for FF:

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... e/?src=api

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:41 pm

Using Google's botnet/Chrome browser? More importantly, are you still using that hateful ol' Flash? (Perhaps because you can't kick that old Spotify habit?) Shame on you us, but anyway we still have to contend with the fact that it can slow down our browsing. Wanting a way to block it on default but be able to whitelist it for particular pages/websites?

Flashcontrol - essentially Fireweasel's Flashblock addon for Chrome.
Attachments
2015-11-19-173432_404x202_scrot.png
2015-11-19-173432_404x202_scrot.png (13.01 KiB) Viewed 4505 times

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:38 am

Honestly, by now click-to-play does just this. You can also black-/white-list Flash. Just saying.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 am

^ Ah, I didn't even think of using click-to-play on Chrome!

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Playing around with Chromium on an Ubuntu (*gasp*) 15.10 install today. Installed this nifty night-time extension called Dark Reader. You can play with brightness, contrast, sepia, grayscale, etc. etc. Not bad!
Attachments
darkreader.png

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Looks good.