feh

rhowaldt
Dog

feh

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 pm

opening this because there doesn't seem to be much info on it and i'm curious to see what the bbq has to bring to this. starting this thread before i forget.

so feh can have a config-file. it works with themes, where you can set a bunch of options, then call feh with the -T option to use that particular theme. a "theme" is in this situation then simply a set of options.

from the manpage:

Code: Select all

CONFIG FILE SYNTAX
     The config file allows the naming of option groups, called themes.  If ~/.fehrc or /etc/fehrc
     exist, feh will look in them for name/options pairs.  If neither of them exist, feh will create
     a default one in ~/.fehrc.

It takes entries of the form "theme options ...", where theme is the name of the entry and
     options are the options which will be applied when the theme is used.

An example entry would be "imagemap -rVq --thumb-width 40 --thumb-height 30".

You cane use this theme in two ways.  Either call "feh -Timagemap *.jpg" or create a symbolic
     link to feh with the name of the theme you want it to use.  So from the example above: "ln -s
     `which feh ` ~/bin/imagemap".  Now just run "imagemap *.jpg" to use these options.

Note that you can split a theme over several lines by placing a backslash at the end of a line,
     like in the shell.

You can combine these themes with commandline options.  An example .fehrc is provided with a
     couple of cool example themes.
an example can be found here: http://aperiodic.net/phil/configs/fehrc
kmandla did a nice post on feh as well: https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/09/1 ... k-for-you/

another option is to write scripts that incorporate feh, such as you can read about on the Arch wiki feh entry: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Feh

i have yet to experiment with this myself. what i want to do is simply make it display images full-screen and zoom (the -Z -F options), and then have a key assigned (-A option) to move the current image to a separate directory. i would use this for sorting through a list of photos i've taken. will perhaps post some results later tonight :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: feh

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Yep, feh can be fun
A couple of my implementations

Work hard; Complain less

Nili
Haxxor

Unread post by Nili » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Oh, i love FEH, is my only image viewer installed on my system.

I use this simple config to browser folder,

#! /bin/sh
feh -Fd "$(dirname "$1")" --start-at "$1" --fontpath /usr/share/feh/fonts/ --font alterebro/12 --fontpath /usr/share/feh/fonts/ --menu-font alterebro/12 --draw-exif
Using font alterebro, i just placed on feh font folders.
I simple love those draw exif info attached. FEH is machine robust :)
Devuan/XFCE

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:33 pm

currently using this commandline to prepend images with "nope-" after pressing the "1" key. it will automatically move on to the next image after performing the action. so far, this works fine for sorting out shots i want to keep from shots that didn't work.

feh -ZF --action1 "mv %f nope-%f" *
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Baconator
Troll

Unread post by Baconator » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Script I use on xinit that makes feh choose a random file in my Pictures directory.

#!/bin/bash
OUTPUT="$(ls /home/user/Pictures | shuf -n 1)"
feh --bg-scale /home/user/Pictures/$OUTPUT