configs and dotfiles - storing and sharing

dkeg
Configurator

configs and dotfiles - storing and sharing

Unread post by dkeg » Sun May 26, 2013 11:00 pm

** EDIT: changed thread title to open an actual config thread **

I'm sure we all do it. We work tirelessly at perfecting our setups. How do you keep / store / backup / share them all. Do you bother going the more dev route of github, bitbucket, pastebin/zerobin, dotshare.it, dropbox, etc.

Why you pick what you did?

I use github currently. For me I like it b/c it exercises my brain. It takes some effort, and you can make it overly complicated just because you can. Isn't that what we all love doing. Complication by Simplification (or is it the other way around). Anyone can add onto dropbox. Dropbox deamon is bloat :)

There's also a ruby gem I stumbled across that symlinks your specific directory with your git repo. I'd like to give that a test too

I used to do more dev work, but now I don't. I do miss it, and doing geeky things like this helps fullfill that jones.

Or if you give a shit, you can tell us about that too :D
Last edited by dkeg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: configs and dotfiles

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 pm

I use Dropbox after using a long time my external harddisk. It's just that I use Dropbox anyway to share stuff with my folks so why not using it for my configs and backups, too. The external is full btw. But I am thinking about putting all the important Linux stuff to Github, will see.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 pm

I use a partition on my main machine, shared via NFS to all my other machines, and backed up to USB regularly. I have no "cloud" presence and don't want or need one.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun May 26, 2013 11:53 pm

ivan, yeah if already using dropbox..

nice pidsley, sounds like a great system.

Work hard; Complain less

chris
Riesenpenis

Unread post by chris » Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 am

I sync my configs and my data via rsync between my servers and desktops / laptops.
In addition, I use a personal wiki (DokuWiki) to document important things that I otherwise would surely forget.

To share calendars and smaller text and image files with my girlfriend and third parties, I use a small OwnCloud installation.

If I have more time, I will probably largely change the home network to the LTSP concept.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 27, 2013 10:23 am

wow - I don't bother backing anything at all.
calenders? ours is on the wall 8P

music/vids are on the server.
i did back up my i3 config, that was the only one. then i misunderstood an installer question and wiped my /home 8)
haven't missed a single thing, yet.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon May 27, 2013 1:28 pm

TBH, I trust pen and paper more than bits and bytes, sometimes. Bought a fat blank notebook (the paper one) to write down how I got certain shit to work again, in different chapters (net, desktop, X, sound) for different OS.

BTT: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=339
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon May 27, 2013 1:57 pm

^ you know I also keep a notebook. It was packed for awhile, but yes I too love the old fashioned way too. I use that like you for special tracking of success stories and how to's.

Work hard; Complain less

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:40 am

I have recently been trying out 'btsync' to keep my desktop and laptop automatically synced.

For those who haven't checked it out yet, it is kind of like a p2p Dropbox.

It is not perfect, and it if you set it to sync half your storage (as I have) it can be a bit of a system hog - but I am finding it pretty useful.
Talking bollocks for Wales

MrPink
applies for custom title

Unread post by MrPink » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 am

Zim Desktop Wiki + Dropbox for me. I have thought of getting a more private and secure setup. Perhaps a Pi with a 64GB sd card as my own little cloud. That would not consume much power either.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:34 pm

@MrPink ... Zim is a pretty cool application. Haven't used for awhile, no particular reason. It is helpful. Used it at work too on my windows machine.

The raspberry pie idea sounds like a great idea and really intriguing. Follow up with you experience if you get working on that.

@4eyes ... i'll have to check that out.

@MB ... I'm using it man, still using github too. Thanks for setting it up.

Work hard; Complain less

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Zim is the first thing I install on a new machine.... couldn't live without it - love the way it saves everying in realtime, and as plain text files.
Talking bollocks for Wales

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:06 pm

org-mode in emacs for all the notes, tasks and whatnot and then a simple rsync via ssh for my home dir. The org-mode file goes into the rsync as well of course along with my documents and whatever else I like to have backed up. I have a linode slice I use as my cloud storage.

With that I can throw my config on just about any machine. My org file has notes on which packages I need to make all the configs work - like "dialog, tmux, rxvt-unicode...." all the stuff that doesn't normally ship with Debian. Has worked well so far. For Debian I've made a simple apt-get script to take care of the installs. Push a button, grab a beer and voila.