Hi from new member - linuxlover

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Hi from new member - linuxlover

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 pm

There is no dedicated Debian security repo as you roll with newer versions and they get fixes by their upstream devs.

Regarding updates, Sid is moving, Stable not. An upgrade once a week should suffice, no one obligates you to apply the updates 4 times the day. ;)
Grillmeister wrote a nice little guide:

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49

linuxlover
Virgin

Full installation of Trollinger on entire disc

Unread post by linuxlover » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:38 am

Wishing you all very happy holidays & Happy new year 2013.

I'm back and need help. I have installed Trollinger along with peppermint OS as dual boot. Its excellent. This is the first time for me using Gparted. I created an unallocated space and then installed Trollinger on it.
Now I need help in installing Trollinger as the only OS. I took a complete back up and now how do I remove all the things I have before? Please let me know whether this is OK to do - starting with live USB for Trollinger and then chose install Trollinger - will it give an option to install Trollinger on entire disc? If not, do I need to do anything on the partitions I already have (peppermint OS three & Trollinger). I will work on this the coming week end if any one lend their helping hand on the above.

Thanks a lot
linuxlover

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 am

Hi and happy holidays to you too :)

So you want to remove PeppermintOS from the partition and overwrite the whole disk? There are different ways to approach it. The easiest is to start from scratch, by removing everything and then running the installer on a blank drive.
So if you want to remove everything, then boot from the USB stick and start the installer. We imagine your final setup on a 100GB drive, called /dev/sda, that will look like:

Code: Select all

[ / 50GB | /music 48GB| /swap 2GB ]
[ sda1   |     sda2   |   sda3    ]      
where swap can also be between the partitions, but not at the beginning of the drive.
The /music partition is a place you would store music, photos, videos, and stuff that should never be touched if you would re-install or change the operating system. In the following we will call it /my_stuff (which is not what some people would call a /home partition. We only store photos, music, videos there, not our config files. I explicitly do not recommend using so-called shared /home partitions - but that's not the point of this post :) )

1) The installer itself has a button called "Edit Partitions" (click: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/download/file.php?id=44) which opens gParted.
2) In there, you choose the correct drive (right upper corner, /dev/sdX) if it's not already chosen.
3) You right-click on the partition you want to get rid of and choose "Delete"
4) Click on the Apply icon (the 7th icon in the bar, looking like a tick) The removal of the partition will take a few seconds.
5) Do this with the other partition, too.
6) Now you have an unpartitioned (unallocated) space that covers the whole drive. Probably you have a swap space inbetween somewhere. You can remove this swap, too, if you like, and create it later. It's not really important to have a swap space bigger than 2GB, even 1GB should be enough. If your drive is small (8GB, 16GB) forget about swap.
7) Create a partition at the beginning of the drive, by right-clicking the unallocated space and choosing "New". That's the container that you will format, preferably with ext4. Move the slider (or the numeral for the total size) to at least 6GB and click Apply. Info: You can use the whole space, but you can also just use 50% and keep the remaining part free for the /music partition. If you think "We don't need no music folder!", then simply make this main partition cover the whole space minus 2GB (which will be assigned as swap in step 8).
7) If you want the music partition: right-click on the unpartitioned (unallocated) space that lies towards the end of the drive, and choose "New". Make it as big as the remaining space minus 2GB, so for example the remaining space is 50GB, you make it 48GB large. "Format -> ext2" (you can also use ext3 or ext4, there) from the right click menu. Give it a label like "my_stuff" so you can always distinguish it from outside. Remeber to click OK and then Apply, so that you can see the changes instantly.
8) Create a swap partition in the remaining sweet little space, by right-clicking into it and choosing "New", then File system: "swap" or "linux-swap". Ok and Apply.
9) Then you exit gParted, you are back in the installer again. The system is installed in / (right click on the partition you want the Trollinger to be installed on and choose "Assign to /", see here: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/download/file.php?id=45) Don't do this with the other space, because the installer doesn't know what you want to use it for.
10) Proceed to the page that asks where GRUB should be installed. We pick the drive /dev/sda and not anything that has a number in it.
11) Check the summary. It should say something like: Install bootloader in /dev/sda * Format /dev/sda1 as ext4 * Format /dev/sda2 as ext2/3/4 (depends what you have chosen) * Format /dev/sda3 as swap. The swap can also be on /sda2, but preferably not on /sda1.
12) Start the installation and be sure to wait until it finished. If (for whatever reason) GRUB is not written into the boot, or you cannot boot into the new system, don't panic. Keep the USB stick or Live CD at hand for this, boot into a live session and come back here.

Once again I should emphasize that the instruction above will delete everything from your drive. Everything.

Note: I made this from the top of my head, maybe some things are labelled slightly different in gparted, but not radically different :) It's important to remember that you have to [Delete -> Click Apply -> Create New partition -> Give it a file system -> Click Apply], because gParted does not "overwrite" the geometry of partitions unless you explicitly want it.

Good luck!
..gnutella..

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Welcome to the BBQ, linuxlover. It seems The Grillmeister is helping you with burger flippin', but thought I'd say hello.
...oh.

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Welcome linuxlover, you found the hidden gem by joining us here.
Glad to see you like Trollinger,,,great choice!

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:17 am

a little late to the party, but nonetheless, welcome to the bbq linuxlover. Kick back with a brew and enjoy

Work hard; Complain less