Hi from new member - linuxlover

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
linuxlover
Virgin

Hi from new member - linuxlover

Unread post by linuxlover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 am

Hi all,
A brief intro: I am linuxlvoer and tried most of the OS on my netbook. Currently using PeppermintOS once linuxmint lxde is stopped. Tried several other distros including Bodhi and I like the concept of it as it is also similar to linuxBBQ in providing a base.

Just found this distro on Distrowatch weekly roundup. Very interesting, stylish and light weight.
I am trying this on my usb using unetbootin. I am using dell inspiron mini 10 v (Atom processor). I tested the XFCE version really good. Definitely want to use this on my netbook but I also want to test Saltimbocca and Escargo if I am not mistaken.
On the live Escargo session, I tried to install pcmanfm and lxtast using (sudo apt-get install -----) command but I could not install them. Is there anything else I should try or installations are not allowed on live sessions of BBQ?

Have another problem with Saltimbocca. Can I create a bootable installer using unetbootin for this as Escargo? I created a bootable usb using i686 iso the latest one from the site. The boot screen did not go beyond this:
Starting Notify Audit System and Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Once I run the Saltimbocca version from my USB i will decide which one to install on my netbook as my only OS. Hope some one will help me to sort this out before the holidays so that I can test drive LinuxBBQ.

One more question. For hard drive installation and if I want to use linuxBBQ as my only OS i believe it is very similar to other live distros such as Bodhi or peppermintOS (installing from live session?).

Sorry for making this long - I am very eager to this. Thanks again for providing a wonderful distro with a fresh concept.
linuxlover

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Hi from new member - linuxlover

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 am

Hello linuxlover and welcome to the roasted side of Linux!

With regards to installation in a live session: you first need to update the local cache (sudo apt-get update) which will only download the file definitions from the repositories (it does not install or upgrade anything). For this we also have the short command 'upd' you can run in the terminal. After finishing this you can install any of the packages. This is valid for an installed session, too: first update, then upgrade or install.

About Unetbootin, I have no satsfying news for you (yet) - because we haven't spcifically tested BBQ with unetbootin. On the other hand, you will get best results by crreating a bootable stick using the dd or cat commands (see the section below)

Hard-drive installations can be performed with any BBQ edition. If you don't find the "Install LinuxBBQ" entry in the menu, simply press Alt-F3 and enter gksudo live-installer

Let us know if you need help or have any other questions.

Here's a copy-paste from another post:

Creating a bootable USB stick (without unetbootin)

Open a terminal, plug in your USB stick and enter the command:

Code: Select all

dmesg |tail
You should see messages similar to this:

[15706.260942] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
[15706.260951] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[15706.261670] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] No Caching mode page present
[15706.261680] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15706.265189] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] No Caching mode page present
[15706.265202] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
This tells us that the USB drive is recognized and registered in /dev/sdc

You can verify this with the command

sudo fdisk -l | grep sdc
which returns information about the USB stick's size in megabytes. Note that your output might or might not be the same! sdc is just used as an example. If you're in doubt, ask!

Now we use the mighty 'dd' tool to create a bootable USB stick.

ALL DATA ON THE STICK WILL BE OVERWRITTEN!

sudo dd if=linuxbbq-base.iso of=/dev/sdc
where the if= stands for input file and of points to the output drive. Adjust these according to your locations!

Note: we write to /dev/sdc and not to /dev/sdc1

The creation of the bootable USB stick can take up to 10 minutes, be patient and do not remove the stick.

When finished, enter

sync
and finally reboot the computer, leaving the USB stick in place.
..gnutella..

tstamp
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by tstamp » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 am

Can I ask what that sync command accomplishes? I have never heard of it until just now. I have always just used DD from the terminal and went on my merry way.

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:40 am

Same here,
Never use sync.
Always just use the usb stick after completion of dd.

edit: found what machinebacon said on another post:
sync should make sure that all data is sent and the pipe is emptied. Good luck.
Last edited by wayne on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 am

Yes, first you dd and then sync. Usually the user reboots after a dd to usb, and sync prevents data loss from a probably abnormal shutdown.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm

^ very thorough - that's Bacon.

Welcome to hot 'n' spicy BBQ linuxlover
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:22 pm

By the way, for LXDE fans I have "good" news - the LXDE Base edition (for 32bit) will be uploaded in a few hours.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 pm

to give you a slightly bit more detail on the use of 'sync': depending on the settings of certain storage media, stuff you copy there is either copied immediately, or 'cached' and copied leisurely later. if the latter is the case, and you unplug the drive before the system is done doing its thing in the background, you end up with a borked copy. so, for safety, always use 'sync' after doing copying between drives.
if you want more control over the syncing-stuff for your own drives, you can make the necessary settings in fstab, where each entry has a 'sync' option. read a bit more about fstab here: http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

hope that answers some more questions :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:51 pm

^ What he said :) I remember that there was a discussion about this on a certain other forum, and forgetting to sync indeed caused problems. IIRC user pvsage brought this topic up those days.
..gnutella..

linuxlover
Virgin

Unread post by linuxlover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks all for you suggestions and offering your warm welcome to linuxBBQ.
Will try your suggesion soon.
For some reason Kielbasa working well with unetbootin, if any one is interested. I enjoyed the distro very much and thought of installing it over the week end but now that is on hold as I hear the announcement of LXDE.
Excited about the new release of lxde.
I would like to use that instead of XFCE always felt LXDE is lighter than XFCE.
Bit sad with linuxmint as they went ahead with XFCE and stopped LXDE.
Looking forward to LXDE from linuxBBQ.
BTW, is it also using openbox?

Thanks guys for your wonderful support.
linuxlover

linuxlover
Virgin

Unread post by linuxlover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 pm

One more doubut. Is Saltimbocca is itself an operating system which I can build on with applications of my choice or do I need to do anything else on the base to make it an OS?

Thanks
linuxlover

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Welcome to the Q! LXDE uses Openbox as its window manager. And Xfce is equally light!

Yes, Saltimbocca is an OS. Add your applications as you wish. It is just very minimal, providing you a base system, so slightly more for experienced users.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:52 pm

rhowaldt wrote:you end up with a borked copy
i should've said 'pooched', i realize now ;)

btw, something else i should've said: hi linuxlover, welcome to the community! glad you are enjoying yourself.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Linuxlover,

most spins are quite bare, so you will have to add the apps you like. Base editions only bring a terminal, a file manager, a browser, an image viewer, a media player and a handful of tools and utilities. If you're uncomfortable with configuration files, you maybe want a Desktop Environment around the window manager (see: XFCE, MATE, LXDE, GNOME) - it uses graphical interfaces for stuff that usually would require manual editing.

By the way, the difference between Saltimbocca and Escargot is that former is 32bit and latter is 64bit. They only come with aforementioned apps, a window manager (Openbox) and a panel (tint2). Be prepared to get your hands greasy (in a positive way)

The editions that have more apps pre-installed are specialized ones: Rocks (home recording studio), Stud (for students), Latex (for typesetting), Argentina78 (MATE home desktop), Mother (XFCE home desktop). Not so much fun if you like tinkering :)

btw, the LXDE 32-bit version has just been uploaded, check the "Releases" section.
..gnutella..

linuxlover
Virgin

Unread post by linuxlover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for your guidance on installation.
Right now I will stick with unetbootin option which seems to be working well with the latest Trollinger LXDE version. I am using it as live on my netbook. Its very stylish and polished uses only about 75 MB of RAM on my netbook. I would like to install it as my only OS on this. How do I proceed? Shall I go ahead with install BBQ option and then the GUI path as with other distros such as Bodhi, Peppermint or Mint?
I have bit experience with Bodhi and I am using it on my desktop which also comes with bare skins.
But for my netbook I want to use BBQ as it comes directly from Debian. Will I get regular updates (using - sudo apt-get update) for this distribution (Trollinger - LXDE)?
Thanks a lot for giving this wonderful distro.
Thanks again for your warm reception guys.
linuxlover

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Yes, it is very similar to other installers. You first choose the localization, then the keymap, then the drive (sda, sdb), and then the partition you want the installation to be installed on (by right-clicking on the partition and choosing the / entry)

If you get stuck, come back here on the forums inside the live session, or use the Chat in Desktop right click menu -> CLI -> Chat. In the newly opening window enter

/join ##linuxbbq
to join the chatroom and you hopefully find somebody in the chatroom (very basic, but works)

You will get Debian's Sid upgrades, 4 times a day, plus bugfixes. The procedure is always: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (or using the command 'upg' which does the same)
..gnutella..

linuxlover
Virgin

Unread post by linuxlover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks Machinebacon for detailed reply.
I am happy to install this as my only OS then will it give an option during installation which one to chose (along with existing OS or complete install as the installation steps with other distros)?
Also is there any info I can get on security updates for Debian? I searched for it and did not get any info which I can understand.
Right. you said it is 4 times per day how does this compare to stable debian?
Sending this from Trollinger Live.
Thanks a lot
linuxlover

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 pm

There are no security updates in debian sid. You will get the newest accepted packages, similar to Ubuntu.
This shouldn't cause you headache, most users have been using sid for many years without problems.

At the moment debian stable gets no updates except security patches.

About the installer, it shows other operating systems in the partition selection screen, so you can choose the destination by right clicking on the partition and choosing "/". For resizing or more complex actions there's a button to launch a partitioning tool. It is optional, though.
..gnutella..

linuxlover
Virgin

Unread post by linuxlover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks agian Mechinebacon for your immediate response.
Will be back if I have any problems in installing BBQ.
Thanks again
linuxlover

apprentice
invented Fellatio

Unread post by apprentice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 am

rhowaldt wrote:i should've said 'pooched', i realize now ;)
do we need some pooched police here?
create a title
ha
card carrying p.e.t.a. member of long standing