nvidia driver=high RAM

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
hhh
Window Manager

nvidia driver=high RAM

Unread post by hhh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:26 am

Split from (didn't think about notifications, sorry about that pidsley!)...
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... =60#p19018

@baconator, I was wondering if you had tried the nvidia driver and seen the same RAM spike on your geforce 6150. Thanks.
You'd prefer 鼠標?

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: nvidia driver=high RAM

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 am

hhh, I never use the blob drivers in sid, only in Stable or Ubuntu. But I can make a parallel test later on my big box where I have amd64, pae, non-pae of the same kernel installed, and the aforementioned nvidia chip. Which arch are you interested in, and which kernel? uname -a please :) and nvidia driver version number?
..gnutella..

hhh
Window Manager

Unread post by hhh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:41 am

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux charbroiled 3.13-trunk-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.13-1~exp1 (2014-01-20) i686 GNU/Linux
or the vanilla sid 3.12 kernel. The driver is the 304xx...
https://packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia- ... 4xx-driver

Don't bother if your not curious about it yourself though. The only reason I ask is because nouveau doesn't quite handle gnome-shell on this box, but it's not worth the RAM spike just to play with gnome and cinnamon.

-edit oh yeah, the card. From lspci...

Code: Select all

00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
You'd prefer 鼠標?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:31 am

Yeah, the card is the same. Well, GNOME or Cinnamon I don't use at all... does the RAM spike happen with no-"mesa"/"no-egl" desktops, too? For example a no-compton Openbox session?
..gnutella..

hhh
Window Manager

Unread post by hhh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:38 am

Yeah, high RAM in every session, though I probably did have compton on. I'll try again with the debian debs and post back...
You'd prefer 鼠標?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 am

I think it goes like compton/xcompmgr -> libgl1-mesa-glx -> libglapi-mesa, the latter two don't seem to be involved in a normal openbox session
..gnutella..

hhh
Window Manager

Unread post by hhh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Gaa, I'm not getting the blob to work this time and I hate debugging nvidea, so... never mind! :D

I'm happy that nouveau kicks ass these days, raaar.
You'd prefer 鼠標?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:32 am

yeah, get rid of it and go nouveau. Actually it is doing what it says on the box, and even made me forget installing the blob in the last 1 year or more. Actually since I moved to BBQ :D WTF needs nvidia's blob in spectrwm, for example? :)
..gnutella..

hhh
Window Manager

Unread post by hhh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:42 am

Or to echo what Linus says, "Fuck you, Nvidia!"
You'd prefer 鼠標?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:52 am

The nice thing with Nvidia and Nouveau is that it shines when it comes to non-OpenGL compositors like compton or in xfwm or Mate. With Intel you have video tearing and the vsync support is bad. :)

hhh
Window Manager

Unread post by hhh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 am

You'd prefer 鼠標?

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 pm

i can confirm that nvidia blob kernel module consumes a helluva lot more ram than nouveau (without nvidia i can boot with only 16mbs of ram in X) but since i've had no standard monitor at my disposal , and i don't have the ability to properly configure edid resolution in nouveau mode

i'll stick with nvidia blob then
rice no more.