problem loading livecd

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
tstamp
Saltimbocca-Roller

problem loading livecd

Unread post by tstamp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:41 am

So I successfully got the md5 to compute and burnt to CD, but up reboot, it gets to a point and stops. The last line says something like starting notify audit system and then just seems to hang. I also noticed amid a sea of OKs that there were a few errors, but they go by so fast it's impossible to read the text. On the other hand, I did notice that it picked up the fingerprint reader while loading. That is an absolute first for any Linux distro I have tried. In any case, if you can give me some suggestions or advice, it would be appreciated. I was really looking forward to having a go with this one.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: problem loading livecd

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 am

When it gets to that point (where it appears to hang), press <enter>. You should then get a login prompt.

LiveCD of which version? Saltimbocca, Escargot, 486, 686, amd64 ?

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=381#p381

tstamp
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by tstamp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:39 am

Escargot 64

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 am

Yes, that's quite normal. You boot, then you get a torrent of info fromthe boot process and then it stops. There you either press [Enter] or input the login directly (bbq/bbq)
The problem is that the boot process spams the debug info into the login sequence, so the "Login:" prompt gets covered/lost in the chaos.
Have a try, this sounds okay to me (in Escargot and Saltimbocca).
..gnutella..

tstamp
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by tstamp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 am

Two more quick questions, that are likely off topic for this section. During the boot up process, it spends an a few moments going through a DHCPdiscover process. I assume that 's normal for those using ethernet, it would probably pick up the connection very quickly. However, when booting on a laptop with wifi, it's kind of a pain. In any case, the system booted as you said it would. My other question is in regards to the install. I downloaded Escargot, but the menu says Oyster. Any word on that?

I have to tell you that I think your distro will be approved very quickly for the DistroWatch list and hope it does so sooner rather than later. I honestly cannot figure out why other distros, especially Debian based cannot offer the selection and quality that you offer (and you've only been at this for 4-5 months?).

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks for your message ;)

1) You can disable the DHCP Discover by editing the file /etc/network/interfaces as root (sudo leafpad /etc/network/interfaces), and removing the string 'dhcp' so that the file looks like:

Code: Select all

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet 
This annoyance will be fixed in the next spin, supposedly in the next 6-8 weeks.

2) Oyster/Escargot: That's just a label, don't need to worry. The entry in the menu was a left-over of a previous spin - it should actually say "Install LinuxBBQ". Thanks for the reminder :)

Wrt distrowatch: it's nice to hear comments like yours and I'm happy if you find the BBQ suitable for your needs. We hope that the BBQ is not a mainstream solution, and that we really just attract users who share the same ideas or expectations like we do. To be honest - I rather have 100 devoted users than 10'000 unsatisfied ones who just vent on how 'hard things are to get to work' in Debian etc.
Of course it would be great if the BBQ could be a place where those users meet who are proud to have greasy hands after setting up their system, and share their spins - without the fear of being bitched and trolled :) (And my trolldetection-treshold is very, very low :grin:)

So, let it roast! Be sure to let us know if you run into problems or have questions.
..gnutella..