Booting from ISO file on HDD

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
skewer
Distrowatcher

Booting from ISO file on HDD

Unread post by skewer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 am

Hello there everyone!

I'd just started to check out linuxbbq and I really love it!

I need some guidance on booting the ISO file from a HDD partition instead of burning to CD or dd to a USB pendrive. That way, I can try out so many linuxbbq direct from the HDD without installing cos I think I'm gonna try out many... and there seems to be new releases all the time! :)

I'm on a multiboot machine using grub2. I'd tried many times on the grub entry but no success so far. Here are some of the entries I'd tried. I just copied some of these entries from the net and try em out. They worked for the usual ubuntus and gparted but not linuxbbq so far. The first two I'd used for gparted while the last two on ubuntu.

Code: Select all

================================================================ START - grub2 entries ================================================================
menuentry "Debian-based - Linux BBQ Cookies" {
    set isofile="/iso/distros/linuxbbq-cookies.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,7)$isofile
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
    initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Debian-based - Linux BBQ Old School" {
    set isofile="/iso/distros/linuxbbq-oldschool.iso"
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live live-media=/dev/sda7 config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
}

linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
}

menuentry "Debian-based - Linux BBQ Old School" {
    set isofile="/iso/distros/linuxbbq-oldschool.iso"
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live live-media=/dev/sda7 iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject noswap noprompt
}
================================================================ END - grub2 entries ================================================================
I'd also attached the 'screenshots' of the error. Hope you guys can help me out!
Photo Feb 18, 11 11 40 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 18, 11 45 45 AM.jpg
Thanz!

ivanovnegro: Putting in code tags, looks nicer. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Booting from ISO file on HDD

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:47 am

Hi Skewer,
the method is _actually_ correct, the error you see there with hwdb.bin is an upstream problem of certain kernels. So the screen that boots to the hwdb.bin error is the correct setting for GRUB2, unfortunately. You could try with those releases that use the Debian vanilla kernels (for example all 486 versions, or those which explicitly state _not_ using siduction's towo kernel)

So something like

Code: Select all

linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live union=aufs verbose 
}
should be okay.

The filesystem.squashfs, initrd.img and vmlinuz files are on the ISO's /live directory, so the paths are correct. It uses boot=live because we use Debian's live-config for creating them.

Hope it helps, I cannot test it now with different ISOs but I am pretty sure that the kernel is to blame. By the way, for the Cookies release (or any of which use systemd), try to add 'init=/bin/systemd' in the vmlinuz line. Maybe this solves the error where the stick boots into busybox.
..gnutella..