[Solved] noob killah and logind questions

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: noob killah and logind questions

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 pm

from logind to weechat. Sorry Tim :D
..gnutella..

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Re: [Solved] noob killah and logind questions

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Solved (mostly)! - on my Siduction system

A tip from titan (Thanks, Titan) got me pointed in the right direction. The tip was to add line "session optional pam_systemd.so" to file /etc/pam.d/login

But that didn't work, and I spent another couple of hours trying to make it work. I even got the system fixed so well that it wouldn't let me log in at all, at one point. I had to mount the partition on another distro and edit it just to get going, again.

I finally discovered that package libpam-systemd was not installed on my system, even though I was sure it was supposed to be. So, I installed it. Then, I added "-session optional pam_systemd.so" to /etc/pam.d/login (I don't know what the leading dash is for) and "session optional pam_systemd.so" to file /etc/pam.d/common-session. This gave me some success. I was now getting logind sessions for both root and my normal user when in the tty, but when I started LXDE, it still used console-kit.

My next brilliant idea was to disable console-kit-daemon in systemd. But, I rebooted and my session was still under console-kit. I checked systemd, and console-kit-daemon was still listed as disabled, but the son of a bitch was running, anyway! What the hell?

So, the next idea we had in the irc was to logon as the normal user in tty, then run startx. That worked! I cannot remove the consolekit package, because LXDE depends on it. But I guess I could remove slim. So, I have about 98% success, but I still have a few hitches.

Seriously, I was almost ready to switch to Gentoo.

Tim

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: [Solved] noob killah and logind questions

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 am

startx runs ~/.xinitrc, so if there is no console-kit listed in the last line, you are on the winner side. remove slim, it is not needed at all.
..gnutella..