[Solved] noob killah and logind questions

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

[Solved] noob killah and logind questions

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 am

I have two loosely coupled questions, probably with some sub-questions.

1) My n00b killah installation uses systemd-logind for session management. I tried to determine how this happens by looking at the scripts. But the .xinitrc script calls ck-launch session. However, there are no console-kit-daemons running. "loginctl -a" shows that logind is managing the sessions. How and why, please? I tried to figure this out by reading the script, but the script is misleading me.

2) My main installation is Siduction Linux. Its startup script also calls ck-launch-session, and it has 65 console-kit-daemon pids running. systemctl shows that logind is running, but "loginctl -a" shows that it is not managing any sessions. "ck-list-session" shows that console kit is managing my login session. How can I cleanly switch this installation to use logind and not console-kit, as n00b killah does?

The Siduction devs are lying or white lying to me about this. They simply tell me that I must run console-kit and that is that. But my n00b killah instance disproves this. My Siduction instance and my n00b killah instance are running the same version of systemd and logind, currently 204-7. They should both be able to use logind for session mgmt. How can I set this up?

Please advise, even by pointing me to (readable) documentation. I would love to get rid of console kit.

Thanks,
Tim
Last edited by RandomCharacter on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: noob killah and logind questions

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:02 am

Hello Tim,
a very interesting question that can only be answered in a typical Debian manner:
the transition from pure sysvinit to pure systemd is split into three, just in recent days it is possible to run a dedicated systemd or sysvinit session, to be exact since the sysvinit and systemd packages split from each other. In the past it was not possible to remove sysvinit without typing "I know what I am doing" and going the risk of killing the system. Of course you can simply remove ck-launch-session from the .xinitrc file, usually things should work fine (I have just tested it with Pony Muncher which is basically the same like Noob Killah plus graphical bloat). As only (readable) documentation I can only point you to Lennart Poetterings blog. [1]
Maybe we should note that logind is not the only way of managing user processes and privileges, and systemd can completely replace session managers like xfce4-session or gnome-session, and eventually also replace a login manager. Inside of a session [2], systemd can give privileges to user actions, when logind can give elevated rights for managing suspend, shutdown, etc. If both are removed, and also consolekit is removed, we would have to give users elevated rights through entries in the sudoers file, for example, which makes sense on a single-user computer with very basic setup (like Noob Killah, where I really wanted to have the user being responsible for every action he takes). Of course a fully integrated desktop system like the (GUI) versions of siduction can not afford to do this (manual mounting, only root can shutdown, etc), so they use these mechanisms: a login manager, systemd user sessions (that are now finally integrated in most DEs) etc. We should also remember that their XFCE flavour still uses sysvinit as init daemon, so a general answer is not easy. IIRC XFCE4 does support systemd user sessions now, no idea what siduction does with this.
The problem is that we have too many choices in Linux: dbus, consolekit, upower, udisks, systemd, who does what and who needs whom? As soon as you want to use powerd for the shutdown/reboot/suspend stuff, you need to run a dbus-x11 launched for your Xsession. If people want to accept additional services running just to save some keystrokes (or an appr. entry in sudoers), it's their decision. I cannot talk for siduction because I haven't been using their desktop since 2012, but I can definitely tell you that you do not need logind, systemd, consolekit or dbus on a system like Noob Killah. Though, dbus brings some good stuff like app-internal notifications.
I am also quite unsatisfied about this status and go pedaling back to what I know worked perfectly over a decade. And I am completely honest with you: most of the stuff at systemd I have not yet fully absorbed and understood. And I even doubt that Lennart fully understands what he eventually wants to achieve with it.

[1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/self-d ... -boot.html

[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy ... ur_Session
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:09 pm

This is the dissaray I speak of in the kickstart thread. Tim, I raised a similar question before, but not as detailed and thought driven. We spoke about this before. Remove it all! I have no systemd, no console-kit, no ck-launch. I do have compton though!

But that's just my setup choice right now.

Work hard; Complain less

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Hmmm. I don't think I did anything to add systemd and logind to my n00b killah installation. I believe it just came that way. Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding what machinebacon said.

I think what I'm going to try is a fresh install of n00b killah (because I neglected to select the pae kernel version, the first time), and see what is what.

n00b killah hits just the right spot of minimalism, for me. I just wish there was an amd64 version of it.

Thanks,
Tim

PS - Another fact I noticed about my n00b killah system: logind is even managing the root console session before X is started.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:31 pm

^ you could probably roast your own amd64 version of it? :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:38 pm

@Tim, if you want a 64bit version, go with Spring 2014.1 and simply pull the xserver/openbox packages onboard. I might make a respin for amd64 -- could be ready for Wednesday.
As I said before, noobkillah came out at a time when systemd and sysvinit were 'bundled', now you can remove either of them (or both if you dare - don't do it though!) Right now, in Sid, you can have systemd or sysvinit, just like it should be. And this is why I have chosen sysvinit for recent releases.
..gnutella..

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 am

Thanks. Taking Spring and rolling my own would probably help me learn the most, so I think I'll go with that. That sounds like fun.

Tim

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 am

Spring is a great base. I used it for Gruffalo and was a great project.

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:59 am

For sure, take Spring and make something cool with it. I replaced two very long-term installs with Spring remixes, and couldn't be happier with the results. Building your own blend tends to help solidify some of the theory into practice, and when things are rough around the edges you can only point at yourself for the poor results. :D
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:17 am

I have another question. I have installed Spring 2014.2 amd64. Immediately after installation, in a root text console, it was using 114 MB ram. n00b killah in Openbox with a terminal uses only 79 MB. Is there that much difference between amd64 and i686?

Tim

PS - that was the fastest Linux installation I have ever seen!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 am

yes. install. debian's 3.13-trunk kernel (enable experimental for this )
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:55 pm

dkeg wrote:Remove it all! I have no systemd, no console-kit, no ck-launch.
This.
Just removed systemd on Elektra, no console-kit, no ck-launch, no compton. Everything works.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:01 pm

^ same here on 90% of my partitions. ;)
..gnutella..

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 am

Ok, I'm making steady, careful progress on configuring Spring. I have installed kernel 3.13.5, xorg, openbox, tint2, nitrogen, added a swap partition to /etc/fstab, installed iceweasel unstable (24.0.3), and ran ceni to configure wireless (I had configured ethernet as step one after installation). Everything is working well, so far.

Now, there are so many things to do that I don't know where to turn. I definitely need keepassx and irssi, so I will probably install them, next. I still need to configure tint2 and nitrogen. After that, who knows?

Tim

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:02 am

Nice progress :)

You might exactly go off the beaten track and try alternative software, for example instead of irssi you could try weechat, ekg2 or centerim (latter two can also connect to jabber/xmpp, for instance), or a graphical IRC client like hexchat.

In a terminal, use "search <searchterm> | more" to query APT.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:27 am

I've been using weechat

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:25 am

*cough* erc *cough*
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:28 am

*cough*tinyirc*cough*
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 am

*cough*IRC over Telnet*splutter*
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am

*cough* a careful configuration of rocks *burp*
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.