i3 and CLI Questions

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
elixir
Weight Watcher

i3 and CLI Questions

Unread post by elixir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:57 am

Bear with me here because these might be some noob questions. Well here you go.

To my understanding of what I have read of linuxBBQ, it is that all WM's and DE's are based from Debian Sid? So this includes i3?

Is i3 considered a command-based system?

How does one partition and install i3 to the drive? Is the arch linux set up guide relevent to this for all linux WM's or DE's?

And should I go i3 if I am asking all these questions? (I really want a command based system and I feel the best way for me to learn is to throw myself straight into it)

Thank you for tolerating my noobiness xD
Last edited by elixir on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: i3 Questions

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 am

Hello,

i3 is a window manager (like Openbox in #!), and Debian sid is a branch of Debian as Linux operating system (we use Debian sid, #! uses Debian Wheezy).
You can install i3 as window manager on any unix-like operating system: open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install i3

It depends on your operating system how to start i3 as window manager. What Linux do you use?

You can have multiple window managers (like i3 or Openbox) side by side installed, and you just start the one you like. You don't need to partition anything, you just 'replace' the window manager (whereas replace does not mean the previous one gets lost)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:23 am

Little addition:

if you use any of the LinuxBBQ blends, you can install and run i3 as follows:

1) open a terminal or TTY and enter: "ins i3"
2) edit .xinitrc and check for the line that starts with 'exec':

Code: Select all

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session i3
3) exit your existing session (log out) and enter the new session, running "startx". This will run the .xinitrc file and execute i3 as window manager.

See also the manual (man i3) on how to configure i3 to your likings. You are lucky that at least three guys here use i3 quite regularly :)

Check this thread if you come from a Debian netinstall or a blank BBQ installation (like LinuxBBQ Spring) -> http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1086
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 am

I did not know that you could have multiple WM's. Hell ya I am already learning new things because of you. And I am currently using Crunchbang Waldorf. Would you say Debian Sid is a much better system than Wheezy? Like would it be worth to switch?

Also thank you, I will take those commands into mind.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:52 am

No need to switch if you don't really need the newest software. 90% of the packages are quite identical in everyday functionality, the difference is that Sid brings a few more newer packages that are not (yet) in Wheezy.

If you are in Crunchbang, you would need to edit the SLiM configuration file to have more than one Window Manager to choose from in the SLiM login screen (pressing F1 there to switch). Please refer to the #! forums, there are several threads dedicated to exactly this question :)
"switch wm in slim"
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 am

Ok that is great. I might just switch to BBQ though because I feel that since I have already learned so much in the past 2 days I need to stay dedicated to what you guys provide :D

Another quick question, can you install a new WM through the .iso files you provide?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:00 am

Of course, every .iso file actually features the following:

- a normal 'framebuffer' session with tmux (this is the stuff that is also called "noX" session, so no window manager, no graphical schnick-schnack) -- you can see some screenshots in the /usr/bin/scrot section of the forums.
- a dedicated Window Manager session (we are the only distro that has actually given literally every window manager its own release)
- a set of command line tools
- a tool to create your own remaster from your setup, so that it can be installed on any other computer ("Roast Your Own")

The installation of LinuxBBQ is not exactly noob-friendly, so you'd probably first test it in a virtual machine (Virtualbox), or on a old computer with a single drive. LinuxBBQ works great on old hardware, stuff that others throw away.
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:06 am

Ok sound great! One of my very own "Roast Your Own" systems is definitely a goal in my near future. Thank you again for all the help baconator!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 am

It's my pleasure. I know that terminology can be quite confusing when you have just started using Linux and dive into the world of components rather than ready-made desktops. I will add some more 'first-timer' posts whenever I see some problem arises.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:53 am

WM's DE's DM's It is all *bloody* confusing at first - TBH I still haven't worked out exactly how to change stuff around like a pro, I tend to get a ready roasted BBQ take home 8) then go from there.
But yeah get i3 running, it will be a bit of a change. But post your questions, you might pull up something we don't know. always good to get a different perspective on things.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Couldn't resist:
i3.jpg
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Excellent way to learn.

Good work as always Bacon!
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:40 pm

my 2 cents ...

i3wm is a great gateway into tilers, and getting away from the sheepers. Simple config file, great documentation, broad user base, keyboard and mouse friendly, panel, and allows icons in sys tray. Excellent first choice. Enjoy!

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Elixir, your big answer is now here: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1094

P.S. it is perhaps a good idea to either change the threadtitle, since the original post is only partially about i3, or maybe to split off this previous post of mine to its own, which would be more about the commandline etc? can we reuse it? -- edit: yes. see link above.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 pm

See, elixir, that's why I love rhowaldt :D

Thanks Rhosey for the write-up, this is like, err, a sticky at #!

Edit: keep it one place until elixir answers, and then split it off :)
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:07 pm

rhowdaldt, that post was absolutely, beautifully thought out and was full of so much help and many, many laughs. I really appreciate you putting in the time to type that novel out for me. As for taking in what you said, it really has helped. I have been referring to the wiki's you linked and I am learning a lot more. Trying these commands out is fun and they are actually working, so thank you again for all of this :) So as what you said currently all stands in my mind. My plan is to install a linuxBBQ WM that I know how to use, configure all of my software and such and get all the nice software and things i want/need. Then I am going to test out i3 and other various WM's and have multiple installed. And also on the side I am going to figure out and play with CLI to get a feel. I also feel that breaking that post off into it's own category might be a good idea too, because I already screen shotted it on my other computer so I can always refer back to it when I have questions of that category. So thank you again.

Baconator: Did you make an i3 roast your own with my name on it lol?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:11 pm

yep, ready to download in the /etc/os-release section. should get you on track. ;)
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Re: i3 and CLI Questions

Unread post by elixir » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Thank you. This is by far the nicest and most intelligent community and forum I have ever been on. You guys are already my favorite people haha

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm

you deserve it :D
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm

thanks Jules, and thanks elixir, it was my pleasure to write it :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.