So you wanna start using the CLI?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
rhowaldt
Dog

So you wanna start using the CLI?

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:39 pm

(split off from here: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=19980#p19980)
(I really want a command based system and I feel the best way for me to learn is to throw myself straight into it)
i think nobody got to answering this comment yet, so here goes. assuming you are a total noob with all your noobiness and such, i will try to keep it simple and clear as i can. click the wiki-links in the text for more info on certain terms. here's the FAQ if you rather have that: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:FAQ

i assume that when you say 'command based system', you mean you do not want to use a GUI to do your computerbusiness, but instead you want a CLI, or 'command line interface'.
There are two main ways of doing that.

1. keep your regular installation, but make a personal vow to stay in the terminal as much as you can. the terminal is like a 'virtual' CLI, but it still runs inside of X (in most cases that means a GUI). in other words, you can still click around if you feel like it, and the possibility of using a regular browser to look for answers to your many, many new questions makes it a very appealing option.

2. get out of X.
Here you have 2 options.
A. use a tty.
you can switch to a tty with Ctrl+Alt+F1. it brings you to tty1. Ctrl+Alt+F2 to tty2 etc. usually X is run on tty7 (i think), but if you are lost in tty-land just try them all until you find your comfy GUI back :D
B. remove X.
just live completely inside the tty, with no backup to your mousing.

some basics
when you open a terminal inside of X you don't have to login to the CLI because you are already logged into it by your Display Manager. That started up X, and inside of that you opened a terminal. Remember, the terminal is virtual.
When you go to tty1 (depending on your setup) you will see a login prompt. after you login to that tty with your normal user info, you will be outside of X. so you can be logged in different ttys side-by-side, like parallel universes. however, there is only one system, so commands in any of the interfaces will affect your system in the same way.

the best thing to do is start off with a list of basic commands. you can find those on the Wiki, here: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Terminal_Intro (plus a whole bunch of other useful shit).

also, just read all of this to give yourself a bit of an understanding of how things work and what they are: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... st_time%3F

if you get more comfortable or adventurous inside your CLI, be sure to check out this section: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... y:Terminal - and consider learning bash scripting (fun, doable and useful).

how to do it
living in the CLI is the best way to get to know linux and your system. it allows you to learn to work with basic information in a 'find it out yourself' way. you will find it reasonably easy to get around your filesystem, but you might think things could be clearer. the CLI allows you to use a couple of simple tools to make your life easier, be it through your aliases or your own custom scripts.

of course, i am not going to say it is an easy task. be prepared to learn and read and fail. however, you can have help. read the manpage. Use Google.

if you come across things you do not understand, don't stop reading. there are three types of understanding:
1. way the fuck over your head
2. i understand about half of this
3. i understand this reasonably well

If you encounter information which triggers Type 1 Understanding for you, consider keeping it around for later or keeping it in the back of your mind.

If you encounter information which makes your Type 2 Understanding triggers fire, keep reading. read the entire fucking thing if you must. it doesn't matter that you do not understand the parts you do not understand. the fact that you already know some of it makes it easier to get to know the other bits of it as well.

If you encounter Type 3 Understanding, you'll be fine. keep reading though! don't slack it boy.

some might be tempted to suggest a 4th, saying 'i understand it completely'. however, i would argue about what exactly 'completely' means, and would probably win. plus, knowing you don't understand things completely will keep you from becoming arrogant, and will have you always open for more understanding, so you keep learning.

won't you guys help me?
seeing how we were all once in your position, you will find here many people who know what you are talking about and actually enjoy explaining it to you. therefore, you can always feel free to ask questions. however, there have been people who have taken that friendliness and turned it into an endorsement for bringing out their inner idiots. suddenly they are no longer able to think for themselves, proceed to whine and moan over every little thing, and ultimately expect us to take care of them. this is a problem, because we can't be bothered to take care of idiots.
in the Universe of the BBQ (gonna copyright that one), these people are known as Rotten Meat.

always remember that we are just a bunch of guys behind our computers who do this for fun and learning (like you, only more sexy). we have lives and such, and any help you receive from us is like a friendly hand to help you out. all the hand wants for you is to learn - but it doesn't like to get bitten. it will slap you, probably.

seeing how you, Mr Elixir, have been thanking my dear friend Baconface so much, i get the idea that you get the idea. i just wanted to make it abundantly clear so we all know exactly how things work :)

as for your idea to ditch Crunchbang in favor of the BBQ: let'sssssss do it.

[yt]6vVzQT3ISJ8[/yt]
(02.00 has the logic to the insertion of this video)

now, after all that, here's one more thing for you to read, perhaps if only for a laugh as i get the feeling you understand pretty well by now: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... a_question

whew man, i am stoned. anyway, have fun, experiment, and do not take yourself too seriously! :)

THE FINE PRINT
you will have to grow a beard. if you already have a beard, please provide photographical evidence of said beard. in case you are unable to grow a beard you must be either too young or a woman. in case you are too young to grow a beard, you can take up pipe smoking instead. this will allow you to remain beardless at least until the moment you are able to grow yourself a beard, or maybe even longer. contrary to popular belief, pipe smoking is a very healthy hobby, and perfectly well suited for children around the age of twelve. in case you claim your gender to be the issue that is stopping you from growing a beard, just remember the Turkish women can do it. also, provide proof of your womanhood, either by sending (classy!) nudes or (unclassy!) half-nudes or boudoir shots you did for your (ex-/late) husband/boyfriend/girlfriend, or by acting very feminine on the forums. we don't care whether you are actually female, we just want you to prove that you are.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

elixir
Weight Watcher

Re: So you wanna start using the CLI?

Unread post by elixir » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 am

^^ Highly recommended read. Helped me out signifcantly! Great post rho!
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 am

Ha ha ha. I love your writing Rho.

I thought about the unacceptable "Class 4" info, and got to wondering "Do I know anything completely?" So, I took a second thinking about escapes that create character breaks (null termination) in C '\n' and how this is not a separate escape sequence, but an octal escape sequence with a single octal digit of 0 which is actually fired off in ISO 646 as a serial chain of "off-switches" to the relays after compiling a program into binary. Then, I started looking at how this would be transferred to the silicon switching (which behave as relays, although they're solid state and their conductivity is determined by their electron flow) across the bus, and then realized I'm not 100% sure if electrons flow, or just vibrate...thus, I don't know this completely.

Well played. I'm going to spend the next week trying to determine how many things I don't know.

Edit: Despite the fact that Rho has officially caused me some kind of introspective breakdown, I regained enough sense to point out that it looks like MB has spun out some really cool spins that could really help someone who wanted to dig into this side of things. I would imagine that at first, it might be a bit much to take in, but certainly worth trying out.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 am

thanks DJ, and i expected you to take that 'Class 4'-challenge :D

introspective breakdowns can be done temporarily, after which you pack back up, accept you don't know shit, and start having fun again :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 am

hah, you guys 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Excellent! Also, I'm tired of all this shaving, I'm growing a beard.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:04 pm

With all that BSD'm - I figured it'd be down by your ankles by now, shaving or not!
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:01 pm

^^ the number one reason to grow a beard! (number 2: to collect snacks. number 3: to get chicks)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm

^ Re: number 3 - They are already lining up in anticipation of my beardedness. I may have to beat them off with my... beard.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:27 am

^ :D