[SOLVED]Any Spring 2014 release: installation errors at GRUB

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
bones
Clooney

[SOLVED]Any Spring 2014 release: installation errors at GRUB

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:30 pm

I have tried a couple of different Spring 2014 releases, most recently Puszi, and the installations errors out at installing GRUB, leaving this message (bbqinstaller_error.log) in /var/log:

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: File system 'ext2' doesn't support embedding
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists
The thing is, I haven't used ext2 at all in my partitioning schemes. I have tried installing using these different partition setups (and probably a couple more I'm not remembering):

1) one big ext4 partition
2) 10GB ext4 /boot, 1.6GB swap, 49.9GB ext4 /home
3) 1GB swap, the rest ext4

All attempts end in the same error. What the hell am I doing wrong? I have tried using both gparted and cfdisk, both with the same result. I feel like I must be doing something so obviously stupid that I'm completely missing it, and need someone to point out what I'm doing wrong, at which point I will *facepalm* and crawl away in shame.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Any Spring 2014 based release - installation errors at G

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Are you trying to install GRUB to a device (/dev/sda) or a partition (/dev/sda1) ? Have you tried installing without GRUB and then chrooting into the install to run "grub-install /dev/sda" ?

I don't have an empty machine to test with right now, but I'll get one running later today if you don't solve this by then.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:13 pm

pidsley wrote:Are you trying to install GRUB to a device (/dev/sda) or a partition (/dev/sda1) ?
And there it is right there. Yup, I have reason to believe I was trying to install to a partition rather than the device. Problem solved. Commence *facepalm*. Duh.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Good. I was a little worried, because I almost never install a new spin to a clean machine (just a separate partition with another spin controlling GRUB) and I never tested this.

But I just did a clean install on an empty machine and everything works, so I'll bet you were tring to install GRUB to a partition.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 pm

^ Yes, exactly. I think I was trying to install it on /dev/sda1, rather than /dev/sda. Sometimes, no matter how long you've been doing this stuff, you (meaning "me") can still come up with a retarded way of trying to do something. Anyway, SOLVED.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: [SOLVED]Any Spring 2014 release: installation errors at

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:43 pm

I edited topic title for you ;)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:54 pm

^ Thanks, Gekko! :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Don't worry, just proves you are a human 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I have recently installed Spring 2014 to a build machine virgin drive and it installed fine and works fine. I have also done the same with my last two spins with the same results. The only side effect was the grub menu entry says "siduction 2013.2.1 december (nox)" that's because bbqsnaphot script doesn't touch the /etc/default/grub.d/siduction.cfg or create/replace with a new one.

Code: Select all

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="siduction 2013.2.1 december (nox)"
First time I looked at why it does that will update in the future.

Note: ext4 and swap used.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:28 am

This is okay like this because it is siduction and credit where credit is due. This also helps people understand that they are actually running siduction, now that bbq has different bases (Ubuntu, fedora, debian stable/testing, killx, etc)
..gnutella..