Network connection on Sidbang

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
schwim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Network connection on Sidbang

Unread post by schwim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 am

Hi there,

I've managed to install Sidbang to a VM(no small feat for my limited know-how)but am having some issues setting it up.

First, I managed to set it up without it using my swap partition. Looking at fstab, I'm not sure how to rectify this.

And second, I have no network connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Re: OPENBOX: Sidbang (i486/i686/amd64) Release News

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:59 am

sudo ceni from command line will help you with the network setup.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

dkeg
Configurator

Re: OPENBOX: Sidbang (i486/i686/amd64) Release News

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:20 am

not aware of what your spec's are, but generally, swap isn't needed. I don't think any of us here use it. But if you must, I'm sure you can create and set a small partition for swap.

First things first though, get your network up and running.

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Network connection on Sidbang

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 am

If you never used Ceni, this could help you:

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ceni

schwim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by schwim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 am

Thanks a bunch everyone for your help. I got network up and running, updated and dist-upgraded. On reboot I am now presented with a grub rescue prompt(grub_term_highlight_color not found).

I've probably tried to install various bbq distros maybe 20 times and have failed almost all of them. I really think I'm just not cool enough to roast my own. I think I'm probably better suited for the spoon-fed iso's :)

Nonetheless, I appreciate you all helping me reach this epiphany!

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 am

schwim wrote:Thanks a bunch everyone for your help. I got network up and running, updated and dist-upgraded. On reboot I am now presented with a grub rescue prompt(grub_term_highlight_color not found).

I've probably tried to install various bbq distros maybe 20 times and have failed almost all of them. I really think I'm just not cool enough to roast my own. I think I'm probably better suited for the spoon-fed iso's :)

Nonetheless, I appreciate you all helping me reach this epiphany!
schwim wrote:During live cd, I simply enter terminal, sudo live-installer. I allow the script to partition the drive and install grub to sda2(/). After successful installation, I poweroff, remove the iso and Start her up. I'm greeted with an underscore at the upper left and that's it. Grub isn't starting up.
So, you have or haven't been able to successfully install? Because it sounds like you were doing what I was doing, trying to install GRUB to a partition (sda2) rather than a device (sda). Still can't believe I did it, but indeed I did.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 am

I always think of grub as the maitre'd at a a posh restaurant, he always controls front the house, so need to be on the device, not the partition.

as for your highlight problem, maybe comment the highlight bits out of /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ?

try putting grub on sda first though.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:43 am

Wait, this:
On reboot I am now presented with a grub rescue prompt(grub_term_highlight_color not found).
also sounds like the crap that is happening right now in sid. Looky.

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:40 am

I encountered this colour thing on one of my pcs. All are running Bakewell (64bit). All are up-to-date, nothing held, hasn't recurred.

As stated in the link Ivan posted, I fixed this with the bbq tools provided on a live bakewell usb. i.e. in terminal - bbq - fix your system (bbq hospital) - repair grub.

Worked for me. However you do it, you need to repair your grub.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm

thanks guys for the spot-on support you give! indeed, sudo grubrepair should fix the problem, but also see that grub is installed in sda, not sda1 for example.
..gnutella..