Problems with download (Saltimbocca) i686

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Problems with download (Saltimbocca) i686

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:57 pm

No, not "recommended". Technically they do work with 486.

486 will work on every "IBM_compatible" computer except those that are 80386 or older.
..gnutella..

SabreWolfy
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by SabreWolfy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 pm

My experience with the 486 kernel on a quad-core was that it only used one of the cores...? top/htop only showed one core ...

Edit: Sorry -- I re-read your post and I see that you are agreeing that the 486 is not recommended for machines with more than one CPU/core.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Yes, that's the drawback. It is technically possible to run 486 on a quad core, but it is not possible to run a i686 kernel on a 486 computer. owever, people with a quad core don't download a 486 kernel. I have made this spin for two users who asked for it.

It's okay ;)
..gnutella..

SabreWolfy
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by SabreWolfy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

^ I think it's a good combination of images though. 486 for those who need it. 686 non-PAE, and the PAE available for download. Covers all possible variations.