Games on seperate partition [Solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
elixir
Weight Watcher

Games on seperate partition [Solved]

Unread post by elixir » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:47 am

I have been testing this out on arch linux and before I mess up my system I might as well pop the question in here.

Is there anyway to download steam and all of steams games on it's own partition?? I am not talking about a seprate /home partition but rather just a logical partition itself just for steam. Currently on arch linux I have made these partitions and tried downloading steam directly to /dev/sda6 for example. But it doesn't seem to work.

I know there wasn't a lot of information provided but this is a question rather than a "tell me how" :)

Thanks!
Last edited by elixir on Sun May 11, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

kexolino
Common Boob

Re: Games on seperate partition

Unread post by kexolino » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:01 am

The games you can download anywhere you want, afaik. Steam shows you the path before downloading and you can choose. Steam itself on a different partition.. Not sure.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:16 pm

/dev/sda6 won't work, as it is a device node, not a mounted partition. Create a directory first (/mnt/sda6), mount the partition there, make sure it is read/writeable without being root (an own entry in fstab works well), and then it shall work.
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 am

^ OMG bacon what a fabulous avatar you have. And yes I was playing around with it and got this far but noticed that steam said to install the games it had to be a writable drive/folder. Thank you my good sir.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:10 pm

The things is that the shit shall be writeable for all, so fstab should have the 'auto,user' option for the partition.
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sun May 11, 2014 10:02 am

Yes thank you I understand this now. I actually fixed this quite a long time ago. I will put solved in the title.