Openbox and icons

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
kexolino
Common Boob

Openbox and icons

Unread post by kexolino » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am

I know most of you don't even use icons, but anyone who tried changing the icon theme in Openbox might have seen that not every icon changes with the icon theme you choose, eg. Steam, Skype, Terminator (afaik from the #! days), and probably some others. This has bugged me for a long ass time now, so now I'm trying to fix it, and am now experimenting with the Skype icon.

So far I've changed the Skype icons in
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/icons/hicolor
and edited /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop to point to the one I want.

I've also looked into the Skype deb file that I installed from, and as far as I can see, it doesn't extract icons anywhere else other than the above two directories. Also did a locate skype.png and locate skype.svg, and it didn't find anything new.

My last idea was a

Code: Select all

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor
and no luck.

I'm seriously baffled by this, where da hell does Openbox get the icons from??

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Openbox and icons

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

I don't know anything about skype, but I think the Terminator icon is hardcoded in the Terminator python code, and the only way to change it is to edit the code. Search the #! forum for "Terminator icon" -- I believe this is solved somewhere there. Skype may be doing something similar.

Also remember that mlocate doesn't search everywhere -- see "man updatedb.conf" for more information. Check /etc/updatedb.conf and make sure the directories where you have installed skype are not listed in the "prunepaths" and the files you are searching for are not in the "prunenames" and make sure you run "sudo updatedb" if you change the .conf file. Or use find instead of locate to search the skype directories. Also try grep to search for .png and .svg in those files.

Otherwise, you may need to wait for someone who knows more about skype, or web search for others who have solved this problem.

(edit) I just tried a web search, and I see many people who also have this problem and indications that the icon is hardcoded in the skype binary and may be difficult if not impossible to change without quite a bit of work.

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Yes, I've found your thread on the #! forums, but I don't use Terminator, just listed it as an example. This is more of a general problem with Openbox I guess, because multiple different applications are affected, if that makes sense... Also, the icons of those applications change in DEs like Gnome, so OB must be doing something differently.

At first I thought it was a problem with tint2, but according to this, tint2 follows what the WM does, and the same icons are missing in Openbox's alt-tab dialog.

This is in /etc/updatedb.conf, so it should be OK:
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media"
but I ran an updatedb anyway just to be sure.

Also tried with find (find -name *png | grep skype from /; also tried svg, so if I did this right, it searched through all of the image files on the system), and nothing new.
So there should be no default Skype icons left on the system, yet Openbox still uses it somehow. Same goes for Steam.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm

i have no help for you other than that i tried the same thing some time ago and failed miserably as well. good luck, hope you figure it out. quite unbelievable that this is so difficult...
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

^ I think I'll hop on to their IRC, hopefully it's not deserted. The most I expect is a STFU & GTFO, though :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:38 am

yeah it is a shame, and not even openbox fault. i remember the fugly icon question on the #! forums, people blamed openbox, tint2, and even the application per se, though the problem is inside of the code ... if the application does not send the required info, the other application falls back to a default icon (taken from the wm-icons package - maybe try installing this package)
..gnutella..