BBQIinstaller Bug?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Launfal
Dirty Laundry

BBQIinstaller Bug?

Unread post by Launfal » Mon May 05, 2014 1:46 pm

I hope I'm in the right place for this. If not, please move it and tell me where it should have gone.

Just for giggles, I downloaded and tried to install Boring AMD64 today. Used cfdisk to make /boot, /, /swap, /home. Told the installer where to put what, and it bombed out formatting and tuning the partitions. Tried a couple of times, same result. I went back through the process, and noticed that in the summary of changes before the install, / and /home showed up as going to be ext4, but /boot showed up as ".", apparently missing the filesystem option. bbqinstaller_log seemed to verify that, saying makefs was looking for two options and only found one.

If this is a known issue, I apologize, but I did do a search before I posted this and didn't find anything. Not having a separate /boot solved the issue and the install went flawless, but I'm just sending up a flare in case it's something that needs fixed before the next ISO's come out.

* I spoke too soon about the installer working. It bombed out again installing the boot-loader. bbq-installer log has a bunch of rsync errors, then says that grub-probe can't seek /dev/sda, which is where I told it to install the boot-loader. I'm going to try again with Spring2014.1

[edited with installer update]

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: BBQIinstaller Bug?

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 05, 2014 5:07 pm

I think Bacon is in the process to rewrite the installer anyway.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon May 05, 2014 6:04 pm

This is a subtle hint that you should not use a boot partition. ;)

I can tell you how to fix the install script if you really want a boot partition, but you don't need one.

I don't know about the boot-loader problem you're having; I've never seen that. Please post more details if you have the same problem with Spring.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Mon May 05, 2014 6:46 pm

^ I don't normally use a boot partition. I just created one on a whim and it sank the installer in Boring. Never did get around the grub-probe failure. Not disastrous, as I have my wheezy netinstall as my workhorse.

The Spring install went without a hitch. /boot partition, grub-probe, everything worked as intended. I wouldn't know why there'd be a difference between stable and sid with regards to this, but there sure seems to be.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon May 05, 2014 7:01 pm

This is a subtle hint to tell you to use sid and not stable. ;)

Seriously though; it's not the difference between stable and sid, at least for the boot partition. Spring has a slightly different version of bbqinstaller that is missing the boot partition bug.

I don't know anything about the grub stuff -- I've never seen that.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Mon May 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Who knew I had so many bad habits? The mouse, X.org, Wheezy...

Since I've already got Spring installed, I'll use it awhile. Maybe I'll never go back. ;)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon May 05, 2014 10:11 pm

^ our plan is working perfectly

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am

^ XD
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 am

good to see you got it sorted. Spring is good to build up with, if you need to at all.

Work hard; Complain less