CPU Usage and ATI Driver (SOLVED)

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
elixir
Weight Watcher

CPU Usage and ATI Driver (SOLVED)

Unread post by elixir » Sat May 17, 2014 9:23 am

Hello my fellow BBQ'ers. I recently found a solution to an issue I have been facing the past week. After an update, for some reason whenever I would run a game (through steam), my CPU usage would jump all the way to 90% out of no where. (This odd because I have a pretty solid machine that can run all games full gfx at like 45% max). It got so bad that steam would no longer even run my games.

I have a radeon gfx card and I am using the ATI drivers. Turns out what caused this is bugs in lib32 files and the mesa-libgl files when it updated itself. After some testing, I figured out since steam is made for Ubuntu, I should remove these files to the default Ubuntu path, so steam doesn't think it is using Ubuntu. All you have to do it run this in terminal:

Code: Select all

rm ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
And voilà, your system is solved.

**I understand there are probably many other fixes but this worked best for me. Thank you for taking the time in reading :)
Last edited by elixir on Sat May 17, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: CPU Usage and ATI Driver SOLVE

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks for sharing Elixir!

PS <pedantic> it's written "voilà" , not wallah ;)
french for 'there you go' 8)</pedantic>
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

elixir
Weight Watcher

Re: CPU Usage and ATI Driver (SOLVED)

Unread post by elixir » Sat May 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Thank you for the correction wux. You learn something new everyday :)

I did the liberty of changing that for you and I also changed some wording around since I wrote that last night when I was really tired and did not make any sense of some parts!
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 17, 2014 8:55 pm

oh the rest of the post made sense, dude. 8)
I just had to run "wallah" through the brain, although a bit pedantic of me to correct you.

I may one day have to use this guide - I thank you again for that, you're a good lad 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat May 17, 2014 9:12 pm

good job figuring that out!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 18, 2014 8:36 pm

nice one elixir! et voila!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.