USB automounting [SOLVED]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Launfal
Dirty Laundry

USB automounting [SOLVED]

Unread post by Launfal » Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 pm

OK, so I'm seriously driving Spring AMD64, and I'm learning my way around. Got my partitions mounted and fstabbed, got my usb mount points in /media, manually mounted swap, so far so good.

I did a quick forum search and couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.

My USB drives are mounting automatically. I have them in fstab as noauto and an alias to mount and unmount them, but for some reason they're mounting by themselves. The mounts look like they're obeying the fstab rules, but I'd really like to manually control what mounts where.

This has got to be something simple that I don't see, but how do I turn this off?
Last edited by Launfal on Fri May 30, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: USB automounting

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 29, 2014 6:09 pm

I guess this is done by udisks. So, let's see:
http://zurlinux.com/?p=35
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... gnomeudisk

Edit the udisks.rules file (sudo cat /lib/udev/rules.d/usbmount.rules for example, or sudo cat /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks*.rules), I guess that's the answer.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu May 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Nice. Everybody is complaining that on the BBQ there is no automounting and you want the opposite. :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Yeah, it's quite a mess since there are udev, udisks, udisks2, pmount, fstab, gvfs, oh what the fuck :D Each DE uses a different management, so maybe we should really pedal back on future releases and get rid of anything but udev.
..gnutella..

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Fri May 30, 2014 1:42 pm

@Ivan LOL Always being different, that's me.

I'm not against automounting as a rule. If I'm running a DE, I would expect it, since a DE is supposed to make stuff simpler. But at the CLI, I would expect automounting to be something that I'd have to set up manually. To have it just be there without asking me was just irritating, especially since I had just upgraded from Wheezy where it is not the default. I'm going to dig into Bacon's links up there and see what I can do about it.

If I want handheld, I'd install a DE. I don't, so I won't. This smells like some Gnome-like "feature" creep oozing into unrelated parts of the OS, and that's what I'm against.

And, now the drives are mounting as root. Even chowning them to my user account, I can't umount them except as root. That's not the way I'm used to, and that's another reason I want to fix it.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Fri May 30, 2014 4:45 pm

You are not going to believe this. I have been screwing around with udev rules all freaking morning, and nothing worked. Something was overriding the udev rules and ignoring them. I was about ready to just say screw it and add sudo to my aliases for unmounting the usb's when I tried one last thing.

I checked the /etc directory, found /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf. Right there was an option for automounting. Setting that to 0 and the problem is fixed.

Holy-craporoni. It's the simple stuff that wastes all the time Now everything works the way it did in Wheezy. We can count this solved.

Oh, and by the way, udisks is now udisks2, and there's no manpage for it, and some of the options have changed. A huge waste of time, but there's a lesson here. Check what you've already got before you go looking for something else.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: USB automounting [SOLVED]

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 30, 2014 4:55 pm

^ Or in short: purge usbmount :)
..gnutella..

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Fri May 30, 2014 5:07 pm

^ I considered that once I found it, but I figured it was there for a reason and I didn't want to bork something by purging it. It's not something I would install, so I never thought to look for it until waaaaay too late.

It's gone now, and nothing blew up. Life is good again.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah it was actually my bad that I didn't mention the /etc/config file but the one in /lib/ -- didn't do my homework :D
..gnutella..