Purge X waiting mode? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Alad
should take a shower

Purge X waiting mode? [SOLVED]

Unread post by Alad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 am

I have a few berserk buttons and "waiting mode" is one of them. Basically for no apparent reason you get a little "busy" mouse cursor for 60 secs.

In i3, there's

Code: Select all

--no-startup-id
In DEs you have a switch in .desktop files:

StartupNotify=false
However in both cases that asinine clock still shows up from time to time. Is there a way to get rid of it completely? Maybe just modify the cursor theme?
Last edited by Alad on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Purge X waiting mode?

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:40 am

A very wild guess, but I think this is related:

when you use rxvt-unicode as terminal, it also pulls in the dependency libstartup-notification (cinnamon, xfce, openbox, gnome-shell, mate, i3, etc. do the same)
And this will bring the spinning cursor. Else they wouldn't be able to send the startup notification to X, which in turn wouldn't change the cursor for the time. So I guess (!) that using xterm in a WM like spectrwm, and removing libstartup-notification will make the session start with the 'normal' cursor, set via xsetroot, and not change it to busy.

And no, I don't think changing the theme helps. It would still get the impulse from the application sent via startup-notification to the X server.

A dirty hack would be simply changing the busy cursor to a normal one. Hackish. But there are xcursor.theme files. Never tried it though.

Edit: Maybe it is even possible to override the Xresources, by using the Xresources codes found in the Appendix B of the X server ducomentation. http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/appendix/b/

So for example:
XCursor.watch = false

But hey, I really have no clue :)
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 am

It MAY be enough to set the cursor via xsetroot. I do that, and I have libstartup-notification around, and cursor doesn't change to "wait" when I'm opening, say, gimp or libreoffice or inkscape.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 am

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &

I have this in .xinitrc, maybe it is enough to override the X shaped cursor, but in i3 it still gets the startup notification if not explicitly turned off.
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Re: Purge X waiting mode? [SOLVED]

Unread post by Alad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 pm

XCursor.watch: false
XCursor.left_ptr_watch: false
in ~/.Xresources and

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
in ~/.xinitrc didn't help, so I just removed the watch pointers:

cd /usr/share/icons/Vanilla-DMZ/cursors/
rm watch left_ptr_watch
ln -s left_ptr watch
ln -s left_ptr left_ptr_watch
Relogin and success. Thank you very much guys.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Purge X waiting mode? [SOLVED]

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:25 pm

lol, and I thought renaming the .theme would be hackish enough :D

Solved is solved!
..gnutella..