[SOLVED] xterm/urxvt woes

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Alad
should take a shower

[SOLVED] xterm/urxvt woes

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:32 pm

I've tried a bunch of terminals, and ole' Xterm seems to do nicely. However I can't scroll with the mouse wheel. PgUp, PgDown and arrow keys work normally (without Shift). ArchWiki says the mousewheel works, but also mentions Shift+PgUp, which as said is PgUp for me. The scrollbar, when enabled, doesn't seem to work either.

Version : 308-1

Xresources:

Code: Select all

XTerm*termName: xterm-256color
XTerm*locale: true
XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
Xterm*saveLines: 4096
XTerm*reverseVideo: on
xterm*faceName: Liberation Mono:size=10
xterm*font: 7x13
xterm*borderWidth: 0
xterm*scrollTtyOutput: false
xterm*scrollTtyKeypress: true
Tried adding these but didn't help, nor did an empty .Xresources. What am I missing?
Last edited by Alad on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

Alad
should take a shower

Re: Xterm mouse wheel scrolling

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok I may have misidentified the problem - I can scroll up, but not down with the mouse, e.g in nano or a man page. It works in urxvt, but I remember I had to enable a (perl) extension there.

-- Sorry, another edit - my real reason from switching to xterm it that there's less keybindings that get in the way, for example Alt+s for "scrollback search" (conflicts with MC). (solved with removing default from URxvt*perl-ext-common) Also xterm has "eight bit input".

Now I see that xterm loses part of the text when tiling windows, which urxvt didn't. :(
Last edited by Alad on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: xterm/urxvt woes

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 pm

weird, what WM are you using, would that even make a difference?
I just opened Xterm in i3 and it mouse scrolls just fine, for me.
Very sparse Xres, mostly for fonts and urxvt perl things.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:18 pm

That is weird behavior, xterm scrolls fine for me in Slackware, regardless of DE or WM.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

the problem is in PAGER. You probably use more or most, not less. less scrolls in both directions.
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Well, I don't know what changed but now I can't scroll at all, again... (so I can't say if PAGER helps)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Okay I installed xterm and only have

XTerm*saveLines: 2500

in the .Xresources. Scrolling works. Do the menus pop up if you press Ctrl and the mouse buttons?
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:22 pm

edit:

export PAGER=w3m

seems to work for manpages. nano does not scroll for me either.
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Yes, the menus pop up - however any scrolling works only intermittently, both on my desktop with Arch and on my laptop with Summer; regardless if PAGER is set to w3m or less. Not sure why it doesn't work for me... but as I've solved my keybindings issue above with urxvt, I'll stick to that for now.

Thanks for the help.

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 am

I've finally found the solution for xterm in an old bug report:

Code: Select all

Xterm*alternateScroll: true
(turns out it's in the manual....)