Summer - Error building ncmpcpp from source

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Titan
なまいき

Summer - Error building ncmpcpp from source

Unread post by Titan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Im trying to build ncmpcpp from source on summer.

So far i have done :

Code: Select all

apt-get build-dep ncmpcpp
	* sudo apt-get install libboost-filesystem-dev
* cd ~/git
* git clone git://repo.or.cz/ncmpcpp.git
* cd ncmpcpp
* ./autogen.sh
But I get an error during the autogen stage as show here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/if2b1mmk4x4dj ... 06_001.jpg

Can anyone hint at what package im missing?

Ive done some searching on google but im a bit stuck.

Edit : updated topic title.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Summer - Error building ncmpcpp from source

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 am

Maybe try installing libboost1.54-dev or libboost1.49-dev, usually there should be a hont of which version you need in the Makefile.

Edit: or even just libboost-dev.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:11 am

bbq@grill:~$ ins ncmpcpp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libfftw3-3
Suggested packages:
mpd
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libfftw3-3 ncmpcpp
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 323 kB of archives.
After this operation, 764 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Any reason you want to build it?
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 am

No dice. I get the error with all three of those options.

Not to worry, i will just get ncmpcpp from the repos. I did get mpd to build from source though so im a happy bunny :D

And i just wanted to try build and maintain some of my fav programs from source in addition to learning to setup a sid machine. If i can get this sid machine how i like, then arch is being wiped off the main laptop and i will install summer.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:47 am

wait, he didn't just say what I thought he said, did he?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 am

He did indeed.

I also tried to build ncmpcpp from source on Debian, no dice, something is fucked up on Debian.
Bacon asks why someone should do that, remember the ncurses bug? It is still there and ncmpcpp is, for me at least, unmaintained in Debian.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 am

Yes, DD, I remember. But I thought they removed ncmpcpp from the repos those days, or do I mix up something? There is still ncmpc ... well, I don't use MPD so I really don't know what's going on in Debianland wrt these ncurses applications.

Back to topic, let's check the configure.ac file and there we see

AS_IF([test -z "${BOOST_LIB_SUFFIX+x}"], [BOOST_LIB_SUFFIX=-mt])
AC_ARG_VAR([BOOST_LIB_SUFFIX], [Boost library name suffix [default=-mt]])

let's remove the -mt there, so it is:

Code: Select all

AS_IF([test -z "${BOOST_LIB_SUFFIX+x}"], [BOOST_LIB_SUFFIX=])
AC_ARG_VAR([BOOST_LIB_SUFFIX], [Boost library name suffix [default=]])
it will not show any errors -- but for the next items (boost.locale, ...) it will. I don't know if it has to do with the --includedir=/usr/include (I did a manual check with ./configure --includedir=/usr/include which prints errors about missing libraries that are clearly installed in /usr/include/boost/...) Googling for related stuff shows similar problems (also in Arch, ubuntu, Fedora,)

Commenting the boost parts in configure.ac will finalize the ./configure stage but later complain about "readline" missing (which is bullshit!)

Spent an hour with this now and put it aside.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

^ Damn Bacon. :)

No, it is still in the repos but who cares when it is ancient as is the same case with ncmpc which I prefer now but lately I use other players.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 pm

Titan, do yourself a favour. Purge all those libboost*-dev files that boost has pulled in. Install ncmpcpp from the repos. It is just a fucking PITA to build because the fucker is outdated. Maybe building it works in Squeeze.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 pm

hahaha, on the bbq, even threads concerning compilation-issues are entertaining - love it :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:10 pm

@ Bacon

As soon as i get home i will purge all that shit. I did install from the repos in the end.
I also tried to build vlc from source and apt-get build-dep wanted to install almost 300MB of dependencies! But a simple apt-get install was much less bloated.

And with regards to your earlier efforts with configure.ac - thanks for doing this. I wouldnt have known what i was doing tinkering with files like that and would have probably made things worse.

Next im going to try build emacs + some extensions from source. You guys are always saying how good it is and it looks much simpler to build.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 pm

^ hey, i never said emacs was good. that's just the fanbois. ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Nah, Titan, be aware of the wacky key bindings.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:27 pm

@ Rho - But i want to be apart of that elite club of emacs fanbois :D

@ Gekko - Most of my programs use different keybindings (something which Joe would shoot me for) so the craziness of emacs shouldnt be to much trouble.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Titan, if you follow Gekko's latest posts in the Emacs tips & tricks thread, you will find a guide to build Emacs from source -- and it is super-duper easy.
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:58 pm

^ I honestly found this thread about 20 mins ago, ive bookmarked it for when i get back from campus.