[Solved] GTK: a question

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: [Solved] GTK: a question

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

@dkeg: i suppose it has to do with the way we use our computers. when my laptop is on i am generally behind it, working on it. when i am not, i just leave it on, or i go to sleep and switch it off. no need for the screen to go black or anything while i'm not on it. i never use the suspend stuff or even close the lid, because the laptop is old and some stuff doesn't work well anymore, so i don't really trust it to work again after i suspend it. never tested it out though, i think my fear came when my battery got pooched, leaving me with a permanent powerchord plugged in :)

when i had a desktop PC, i'd simply shut off the monitor whenever i left the thing alone. i have always hated screensavers :)

i figured it was possible to customize the xscreensaver, but can you also change that logo when it is set with a password? that logo is almost as fugly as the GNU cow.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm

xset calls a screensaver if installed. If not, then the screen is simply blanked (provided the HW supports it). No shiny effects, but saves you around 5MB of packages that draw stuff on your screen. xset is there by default and can be controlled via shortcuts or an entry like in bbqsys/bbqfix or the bbq-appindicator
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:40 pm

^ yes, thanks for mentioning xset. the Wiki article about the X Window System is a stub so i added a tiny bit about xset to it. plus, changed my own settings :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm

BAsically it is possible to run a base desktop with the X applications (of course they lack "beauty") but whenever possible they should be tried as first alternative instead of pulling in packages that in return only use X base applications to do a certain task.

I'm pretty sure (or assume) that not many people have tried xedit, which is the X editor that comes installed by default. xcalc is a calculator, so for people who need a GUI calculator, it is already there. xclipboard is a clipboard manager, copy paste something now, then load xclipboard from dmenu. Surprise. Of course the great xfontsel to select fonts for Xdefaults/Xresources. And there's xload, the grandfather of all conkies :) All these apps are there and weigh nothing, so use them :)
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 pm

good stuff guys, thank you.

Work hard; Complain less

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:14 pm

cool, with i3lock, the screen blanks our after 'x' amount of inactivity. I need to look at the man page to see if that is configurable. With a nice keybind to it, you're all set. I'm going to add an article for i3 lock to our Wiki.

I'm going to purge out xscreensaver. I wonder if you could tie in xset to blank out then call i3lock. I'm gonna check into that.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:18 pm

I guess DPMS should do that for you.

i3lock -d
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 pm

correct, and at the moment I have it with the default. Also can set with a colored or image background. I really like i3lock. Looking forward to writing the article. I want to set so the inactivity calls i3lock independent of a keyboard action. Nice little project to work on.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm

would be great if you figured this out and updated the Wiki dkeg. any help on there is much appreciated. i have about exhausted the topics of my own knowledge, and now have to research stuff in order to write about it. the latter is easier for somebody with experience, plus somebody who needs to research it in the first place. for example, i don't use Vim, so not going to install it just to get some Wiki entries.

so, thanks :D

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I just wanted to show pics of the kids whilst the radio was playing. 8)
no need for a pixelframe, never had a password installed, it pulled the pictures via ethernet...
execpt with a 18Gb log, Xscreensaver was purged. 8)
suppose i should have found out the problem or got another picture displayer.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:01 am

xscreensaver is not a problem if you link the xerrors file to /dev/null or purge its content upon boot (if the machine is not turned on 24/7). But the "wuxaver" sounds like something we could whip up in a bash script :)
..gnutella..