[Solved] GTK: a question

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
rhowaldt
Dog

[Solved] GTK: a question

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 pm

hello. i installed Boner and added X and Openbox. i got Flatstudio set in lxappearance (couldn't figure out how to do it without a GUI damnit!).

whenever i open a GUI app through the terminal, i get these warnings (example is Geany):

Code: Select all

(geany:17995): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",
(geany:17995): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap"
when i read online about this, people tell me to install gtk2-murrine and shit. the thing is, i already installed gtk2-engines and don't want to keep bloating my system just to make messages go away that i do not care about. Geany looks fine to me, so does Iceweasel, i don't give a shit.

could somebody enlighten me as to
1. why do i get these messages?
2. how do i make them go away (without bloating my system any further with GTK crap i don't need)?

GTK has always eluded me.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: GTK: a question

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:32 pm

i have had the same things, gtk engine could not etc this an that.
like you - everything worked just fine.
the day something breaks you'll install the required gtk no prob
pipe the errors to null?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:53 pm

^ yeah i could pipe away those errors, but that would mean i'd have to build a custom command-line for each and every GTK-app i start... a bit too much maybe.
i was wondering if GTK had a config file, and if i could just tell it to STFU.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm no expert, but have had in the past theme issues. I found that if I looked through the code, the gtkrc file, and removed the calls to those areas which are causing the errors, the integrity of the theme would remain, and rid the errors. I think that b/c these themes work on various WM's and DE's, that the code integrates things that are necessary in some but not all. You may also look into the specifici theme directory to try to figure out what the call is looking for.
So like I said, I have commented out alll kinds of shit that I didn't need. I did this on my #! statler system running OB.
If I get a chance I look through the FlatStudio gtkrc to get an idea of what you're seeing.

Sorry man, hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
Last edited by dkeg on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm

It's like dkeg says.
Nothing more to do than to edit those 'deprecated' calls or change the engine.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm

btw, changing the theme without lxappearance: edit

.gtkrc-2.0
.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

and as root also inside of the /root folder
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 pm

thanks a lot dkeg, that makes perfect sense. this is indeed a good option.

while i was reading online about GTK (good practice for the Wiki article too), i came across the gtkrc-file and looked through it, but there were not many useful things to configure there.
so, decided to see how much bloat these engines would actually pull in. turns out, all the dependencies are already satisfied (probably through the gtk2-engines package?), and it is just some Kb for each. Pixbuf was the most but i believe Murrine was only 126Kb or something.

so, didn't fuss over that, installed those two. Now my Iceweasel and Geany, even though they already looked good to me, look even better. It is details what these extra engines do, but still noticable.

at any rate, i now know of the other way i could've solved this, and you gave me some logic as to how GTK works dkeg. thanks again. marking this [Solved], and updating the Wiki with my new information! :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm

@bacon: thanks, i found the .gtkrc-2.0 but not the one for 3.0. have updated the Wiki accordingly.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: [Solved] GTK: a question

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

wow, glad I could help. Feels good to give back. And yes, those gtkrc files are ridiculous, and on top of that, there is not one consistent format they follow, which creates its own frustrations.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Just wanted to mention that these messages are purely debug information and do not impact the *functionality* of the started app. You'll notice these fequently in actions like moving the slider, for instance. It's also a good idea to link the xsession.errors log file to /dev/null to prevent bloat ;)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm

@dkeg: no problem man, glad i made you happy by being happy with your help :D

@bacon: yes indeed, functionality is completely intact. all that is changed with the pixmap and murrine engines installed is that everything looks smoother; no more tiny jagged pixels on edges and stuff. i think i can lose my, what 700Kb for that :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm

..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 am

^ wow. okay thanks for letting me know.

what is this, some X bug or what? this cannot be 'right', right? :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:39 am

It's both a bug and a feature. Usually it should not swell up that much, but when apps are spamming their shit into this logfile, things can happen. Ask wux, I think it was him (who else! haha) who wanted to make a snapshot and it was like 18GB big although it was basically a fresh installation that was only used as server (IIRC)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 am

^ who else, 8P
18 Gb - the disk was full to the brim.
it that case it was specifically the fault of Xscreensaver...
machine (a radio/email/light forum spamming station) is still running fantastically.
actually i should snap an ISO...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am

thanks for the explanations guys. and of course it was Wux ;)
@wux: who the hell needs xscreensaver anyway! i hope you purged that bastard :)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:23 pm

really, no xscreensaver? I didn't know that. What do you run in place of it?

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

uhm... nothing? :)
why would i need a screensaver?

even if i would want a screensaver i wouldn't go for that fugly bastard that is xscreensaver though.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:19 pm

xset s on/off
xset s blank/noblank
etc.

http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

I don't know? What manages you suspending after a period of inactivity.

As far as its ugliness, you can theme it out in you .Xresources / .Xdefaults

EDIT - mb posted above while I was writing.

Work hard; Complain less