Popcorn /home/user missing after installation

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
archvortex
Uninstaller

Popcorn /home/user missing after installation

Unread post by archvortex » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:34 am

At the end of the Popcorn installation, bbqinstaller removed user from /home before cleanup at the end of the installation process so when I rebooted there was no user for the installation. This was easy enough solved by commenting out the three chroot lines after #remove live user in bbqinstaller so a /home/user would be created while running a fresh installation. Was I the only one who experienced this?
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Popcorn /home/user missing after installation

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:35 am

This is shown at the end of the installation:
You may now reboot into the new system. Type reboot or poweroff. Remember to remove the media before restarting the computer. You can login as root with the password you provided and create normal users with adduser or useradd anytime. Remember to adjust groups with usermod or groupmod if needed. Press Enter to quit
This is planned/wanted behavior.

The user should create a fresh user account, and there should be no user account taken over from the live media. By the way, Arch Linux does the same: you have to create a new user after installation. Only a few live installers offer the "enter your username/enter your password" dialog.

"adduser <youruser>" will create the same setup (from /etc/skel) like seen in the live session, but with your username instead of username "user".

We had to make a decision, these were these options:
- installer creates new user and asks for password, then removes live user
- installer keeps the live user and the password
- installer keeps the live user and asks for password change
- installer keeps the live user and live password and adds a new user and password
- installer creates new user, keeps live user, asks for live user removal
- installer creates new user, keeps live user, asks for live username change and password change
- installer does not create users, only sets root password (!)

We found the last option to be the most logical, most UNIX style, and it also requires the user to read up about basic system administration.
..gnutella..

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:58 am

MB, sorry for making you write all of that explanation but it wouldn't let me login at all after rebooting with my created password or bbq or whatever other password I tried so I couldn't create a new user like previous installs of other BBQ versions. I totally agree with the chosen process which has also to be followed for installing Slackware, etc. as well. I tried re-installing 4 - 5 times and it still wouldn't let me login after reboot. That's why I had a look at the installer (using experience from my days with the AB installer) and did what I did (bad archvortex). That's why I wanted to know if it was only me having problems (user error or something to that effect). I didn't explain my problem well enough in the OP and I'm sorry for that.
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:39 am

Let me ask in detail please:

- in the installer, there is the prompt saying "enter your password directly twice, it won't be echoed"
- you enter for example 'test' twice, then finish the installation
- reboot

These won't work? it is interesting, because we use this method since 2013 in all releases. I check it now...

(by the way, "...so a new user would be created" is not quite correct. The chroot lines remove the live user from the installed session but do not create new users. You still have "root", of course, which should be used to create new users inside an installed session)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 am

Sorry to tell you that it must have been a user error.
I went through the installation of Popcorn, entered 'root' as new password, rebooted, logged in as 'root' with password 'root' and it worked.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 am

I'll just say that I correctly installed Cream, Bowlful and Haggis following extactly these bacon's instructions:

- in the installer, there is the prompt saying "enter your password directly twice, it won't be echoed"
- you enter for example 'test' twice, then finish the installation
- reboot

I only added my user after that and that's it.