BBQ distro closest to #! but on Sid, with openbox and i686 ?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
falcon74
Virgin

BBQ distro closest to #! but on Sid, with openbox and i686 ?

Unread post by falcon74 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Pretty new to BBQ, and I think I've gone through most of the introductory / newbie material, but a bit lost on which distro to grab (my internet connection sucks, so I'm being a bit careful here).

While I can grab 'popcorn' sure, since based on description it comes closest, but I'm a bit wary of the i486 thingy, rest all being fine. I plan to run a small set of 'heavy' audio-video apps (a non-linear video editor, a vector graphics editor), and I suspect that choosing i486 based distro I lose out on the newer MMX instruction sets that help speed up multimedia. I'd be running the distro inside a Virtualbox (or VMplayer) VM.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: BBQ distro closest to #! but on Sid, with openbox and i6

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:30 pm

It is quite simple to install a 686-pae kernel once you install popcorn (run the "get-kernel" script if you don't know how to add a kernel manually). If you want a 64-bit spin, install hot dog and build from there.

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks... sounds reasonable. Will try this approach.

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Did that... on rebooting I get, "FATAL: No bootable media found"... what did I miss ?
Haven't recompiled kernel in a while, but I vaguely remember that after kernel is compiled, you had to edit grub.conf, but I didn't find it.
How to recover ?

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:06 am

"No bootable media found" and recompiling kernel??! Am I missing something here?
Which bit of Pidsleys advice are you following atm? ( Sorry its late here and beer is all over the place ^^ )

Cheers

Simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:13 am

Was following this part:
" install a 686-pae kernel once you install popcorn (run the "get-kernel"..."

Did get-kernel, selected one that looked latest (3.2.16-xxx, i686, pae, liquorix...)! It had me install the missing development packages (compiler etc.) and then built the kernel and I believe also set up grub for it. I was trying to find where the grub.conf was... didn't find any, at the usual locations I remember (/boot), though I think I saw both the older kernel (from popcorn lite) and the one new built there. Was trying to figure out how to set up options... rebooted (which I think was a premature and foolish thing to do), and bam... FATAL error.

Trying to boot up again with the live popcorn-lite, then mount the local hard disk and revert to the older kernel... but cant' seem to be able to do it so far... still trying.

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 am

Looks like I forgotten far too much. I did manage to find the boot.cfg equivalent (or so I believe), i.e.
/boot/extlinux/linux.cfg, which is supposed to bring up the menu of boot options, although this isn't being used, since I'm invariably being presented with the popcorn boot menu from the livecd (understandably so, as I'm booting from the dvd first).

What was however bit unexpected was that: sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
tells me that: "Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table"...

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 am

Ok, I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it (or so I hope)... I realized that what I had done after booting into the popcorn-lite livecd image:
1. apt-get update
2. get-kernel along with all the dependency require to build it (compiler, linker... kernel source/header etc.)
3. rebooted !!

However, the right steps are:
1. apt-get update
2. get-kernel along with all the dependency require to build it (compiler, linker... kernel source/header etc.)
3. create snapshot
4. install snapshot (which'd include creating the partitions and all the song-n-dance needed to install to local disk)

Is the above correct ? The documentation at linuxbbq.org doesn't seem to be up-to-date.. s.a. things under:
Main Page > Installation > Install LinuxBBQ
and perhaps couple of other topics!

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 am

Followed the above steps...have 2 primary partitions:
/dev/sda1 with "/" (no separate /boot or /home)... around 5.5GB, ext4 FS configured (note that bootloader was *not* installed in /dev/sda)
/dev/sda2 with linux-swap... around 3GB (1.5GB RAM)

As per install-snapshot, I had success... and was asked to reboot after removing media. Did exactly that, and I'm back at Fatal-error... No bootable media found.
Thought that it must be due to the bootloader that was not installed... so I fired up Popcorn's bootloader again, and selected the 'boot from local disk' option...
However it is now stuck in "Booting from local disk..." !

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:23 am

Sounds like it's installed in a VM... "No boot media found" is quite typical for this.

I would do this:

- install fresh Popcorn (install GRUB to /dev/sda and the system to /dev/sda1, or so)
- we can add swap later, either as file or partition, but do as you wish
- I also recommend *not* to use UUID for hard drives, especially in VMs.
- boot into popcorn, create a user (adduser <user>), log in as such
- do a full update and dist-upgrade (command: upg)
- I do *not* recommend Liquorix kernels, by the way - I seldom got them booting on certain hardware.
EITHER sudo apt-get install linux-image-686-pae (this will get you the newest Debian kernel, I think 3.16-2)
OR sudo apt-get install linux-image-siduction-686-pae (this will get bleeding edge 1 revision away from the main kernel at kernel.org, right now 3.17-0)
- reboot

A kernel installation does not reinstall GRUB, it just updates the configuration file, so that shouldn't be a problem. If GRUB is broken by adding a kernel, thats a bug and should be reported. Let me know how it works if you follow the instructions above.

It's in VirtualBox? If yes, which version?
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 pm

If in Vbox, remember to change settings in /machine/settings/system/processor before you boot your install. There you have to choose pae kernel if you have installed that, a small box to tick .

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:30 pm

^ wow, great brain there vic :)
..gnutella..

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:46 pm

zazen23 wrote:Are you trying to install GRUB to a device (/dev/sda) or a partition (/dev/sda1)?
Definitely to the device...

falcon74
Virgin

Unread post by falcon74 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:50 pm

machinebacon wrote:Sounds like it's installed in a VM... "No boot media found" is quite typical for this.

I would do this:

- install fresh Popcorn (install GRUB to /dev/sda and the system to /dev/sda1, or so)
- we can add swap later, either as file or partition, but do as you wish
- I also recommend *not* to use UUID for hard drives, especially in VMs.
- boot into popcorn, create a user (adduser <user>), log in as such
- do a full update and dist-upgrade (command: upg)
- I do *not* recommend Liquorix kernels, by the way - I seldom got them booting on certain hardware.
EITHER sudo apt-get install linux-image-686-pae (this will get you the newest Debian kernel, I think 3.16-2)
OR sudo apt-get install linux-image-siduction-686-pae (this will get bleeding edge 1 revision away from the main kernel at kernel.org, right now 3.17-0)
- reboot

A kernel installation does not reinstall GRUB, it just updates the configuration file, so that shouldn't be a problem. If GRUB is broken by adding a kernel, thats a bug and should be reported. Let me know how it works if you follow the instructions above.

It's in VirtualBox? If yes, which version?
Yes, indeed... it's installed on VirtualBox v4.3.10... Will try with these instructions and get back.