mounted cd iso in VM but can't find it

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
schwim
Saltimbocca-Roller

mounted cd iso in VM but can't find it

Unread post by schwim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm

hi there everyone!

The problem I'm having is in the "Rocks" distro. In my Elitist install, everything worked as it should.

Rocks install in VBox VM on Win 8 host.

I wanted to install guest additions. Normally, this requires nothing more than mounting the iso through the devices tab and sudo running the install script via the terminal. This is how it worked in elitist. In Rocks however, nothing occurs after mounting and looking for the mounted disc in either /dev or /media results in failure. I'm not quite sure how to go about running the script here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: mounted cd iso in VM but can't find it

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

hey schwim,

i am assuming you are mounting through a file manager, i think Thunar?

what i'd do is go to the source, cut out the middle man. open a terminal and mount the iso from there: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... _.iso_file

see if you get any errors or whatever from that operation. A common downside of GUI apps is that less errors are shown to the user and thus it is easier to debug what is going on.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi schwim,

no interesting news here, just wanted to let you know that if you don't find a solution in the next 24 hours, I will boot up in XP and install Vbox and try to get the guest additions installed.

Can you tell me which version of Vbox you're using in Windows? Then I'll get the same one.

One more thing: is Rocks installed in Vbox or only run as 'Live' CD? If installed, is it a dynamically expanding disk size or fixed disk size for the vbox drive? Just asking so I can reproduce.
..gnutella..

schwim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by schwim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi there guys and thanks a bunch for your help :)

@rhowaldt: I tried:
sudo mount -o loop VBoxGuestAdditions.iso /media/iso
but it returns with the following:
Could not find any loop device. Maybe this kernel doesn't know about the loop device? (If so, recompile or "modprobe loop".)
When looking at the vbox control panel, it shows the disk as being present and accounted for.

@machinebacon: v: 4.2.6 r82870 Dynamically allocated HD, 2gb mem, 128mb vid, 3d acceleration enabled.

Thanks for your time guys!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Humble question, no kidding: are Guest Additions still supported? I think they have change them to Extension Packs which are loaded (as ISO) in Vbox's GUI (standard "File" menu or what it is called, in Preferences).

Edit: dat -> https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01. ... installing
..gnutella..

schwim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by schwim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 pm

The guest additions are still developed and used, most notably for mouse capture and custom resolution on window maximize. The extension pack is only really used when you need additional USB passthrough or other less popular extension.

Some more info here.