Mp3 music doesn't play

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
DanielMii666
Virgin

Mp3 music doesn't play

Unread post by DanielMii666 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:47 pm

The music player already on the distros, does it read mp3's? or just music CD's? I have tried Elitist and sound was ok. but wasn't able to play any mp3 from my SD card. any pointers?

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Mp3 music doesn't play

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Yes it does.

Is the SD card successfully mounted? What if you copy a file to the hard drive and play it there?

Find out where the SD card is mounted and play the songs with moc player, with mplayer, with mpg123

These are the music players besides deadbeef that are packaged:

Code: Select all

mplayer
mpg123
mocp
deadbeef
I guarantee that 98% of media files can be played with the players.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:54 pm

give it a proper test instead of trying to read stuff from your SD card. just try some local MP3 first, so you'll know whether the issue is with playing MP3 or with access to your SD.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

fatmac
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by fatmac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 pm

If they play OK in your installation I expect your card hasn't been mounted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linux since 1999

DanielMii666
Virgin

Unread post by DanielMii666 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm

I tried playing an online file at first using mp3juices. but the codec wasn't there so it didn't supported it. So I tried access the file from my SD card, it did read my file, but no sound. Mixer didn't work. I am a neewbie, I know and I am not familiar to 'how' access the apt get...I would need the full of set of actions do to it. Step by Step.

Those players you spoke of earlier, how can download them?

Thanks

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Mocp, and mpg23 are already installed. Typing each of them into a terminal or alt+f3 will get them started. Otherwise use:

upd
then:

ins mplayer
to install, for example, mplayer. Just change mplayer to which of them you want to install.

To learn how to use apt-get look at the wiki:

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=APT

or type 'man apt' in a terminal to read the manual.
I tried playing an online file at first using mp3juices. but the codec wasn't there so it didn't supported it. So I tried access the file from my SD card, it did read my file, but no sound.
I'm not sure if you mean that you tried to play a file that you downloaded, or whether you are referencing 2 problems here.

If you have no sound, in a terminal type:

alsamixer
which will bring up the alsa mixer.

Alsamixer automatically opens with master volume selected. Press the up arrow on your keyboard to increase volume. You can see that each of the bars have '00' at their base. If instead master volume has 'MM' then your volume is muted. Press 'm' to unmute.

Not sure which release you are using, but you might just have a volume applet on your panel, which makes things easier.

It's always good to get stuck in first rather than waiting for a step by step how-to. Check out the bbq wiki, BBQ Cookbook, and use Auntie Google. Otherwise cooking is just by others' recipes, and you will never win 'Come Dine With Me'. :D
...oh.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

^ that. and alsamixer has a Wiki entry too :)

just try this:
- get an mp3 on your PC harddrive in your home directory.
- open a terminal and type

mocp $HOME
- you should see that mp3 file there. navigate to it if necessary using the arrowkeys, press ENTER to play it.
- do you hear sound? no?
- check alsamixer as explained before, see if no channels are muted (has an 'M' on the channel) or the volume is down.
- report back here with results.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

DanielMii666
Virgin

Unread post by DanielMii666 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks to you all for those tip. I'll update you soon.

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am

yeah it works fine for sure i use deadbeef, audacious, vlc although if you want to install pithos (pandora client (awesome program)) for online streams you will have to install fluendo mp3 code to set it for mp3 quality instead of aacplus if that is what you want.
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3

also welcome to the bbq!
DECIDE wut it is you really want 2 do in the World, the 1 thing that'll (150 years from now) cause 'em to exclaim,
"He did something AMAZING." And then grab some Beer and go watch ESPN. That's enough self-delusional B***S*** for 1 day."

fatmac
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by fatmac » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 am

One other thing to check if you still have a problem, in alsamixer press F6 to see if you have two soundcards in your system; newer computers sometimes do, & you will need to change which to use. (anologue & hdmi)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linux since 1999