Question re: snapshottool

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
gurtid
Uninstaller

Question re: snapshottool

Unread post by gurtid » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm wanting to take a snapshot of my installed 'proof' to install on another computer. I have separate / and /home partitions.

Is it possible to do this from a single .iso image created using the snapshot tool?

The instructions in the cookbook only give details on how to 'snapshot' a single partition.

How does one make a snapshot and specify more than one partiton? (i guess i just edit the configs a bit . . . ?)

Can I make a full snapshot (i.e. / and /home) from within my running 'proof' system?

P.S. Apologies in advance - i normally should/would just trial and error this , but I'm being lazy.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Question re: snapshottool

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Well, then I'm lazy to answer ;)

I haven't tried it yet but I strongly suppose it just works. Do this:

- sudo bbqsnapshot
- in a new terminal, enter: sudo ncdu /home/work/
- wait until the snapshot tool pauses
- in the other terminal, navigate through the folders. What you see there is the structure of what is going to be installed. Your "real /home" is now in the folder "/home/work/myfs/home/"

If you are unhappy with it, simply Ctrl-C the other terminal and remove the cruft in /home/work via a filemanager (as root) and report back.
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:14 am

:D i knew i should have just stfu and experimented . . . ;)

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 am

You are right mb - it did just work. Of course there's no need to specify more than / . . . don't know wot i was thinking. :D

Anyways - have created on iso of my 'proof'. I'm running systemd on this one. The iso falls to boot complaining about systemd stuff but anyways . . . something to play around with over the next few days @ work :X .

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:09 am

Easy fix:

Boot the stick, in the boot menu press [Tab], remove init=/bin/systemd , then hit [Enter]
Install as usually, then edit /etc/default/grub and check that there is no init=/bin/systemd anywhere
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 am

oh - tu. Was pressing 'e' which didn't work :D

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 pm

she squeals about
sysv
with the
systemd
stuff removed.

will
arse
around with creating moer isos . . .

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

then keep the systemd in, so revert. when you boot up again, with systemd, run

systemd-analyze blame

and post the output here. If the boot hangs, wait up to 5 minutes - might happen.
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 am

OK - so starting again . . . :)

. . . fresh install of Proof. Made a few changes - theme , wallpaper and that's about it i think. Snapshoted and dded to stick.

Will not boot - complains about lack of systemd (proof never came with systemd) and kernel panic. Can only hard reboot.

Has anyone snapshoted a proof system and put it on stick successfully?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 am

The solution is simple:

1) in GRUB enter the kernel boot line (press 'e') and remove the init=/bin/systemd , then hit F10 or Ctrl-x

2a) if you want systemd, install the packages: systemd libpam-systemd live-config-systemd
2b) edit as root: /etc/default/grub and make sure you have the entry GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet init=/bin/systemd" in line 9
2c) save and exit, then run update-grub

3) if you want to stay with sysvinit, edit as root: /etc/default/grub and remove any traces of init=/bin/systemd (line 9) and save/exit. Then run update-grub again.

Edit: If you want I can create a systemd-Proof and upload it ths weekend. Though it's really just a matter of installing/removing those 3 packages and changing the default GRUB line
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:50 am

It worked MB. :) thank you.

Coupla questions tho' . . . why did it add systemd to the kernel boot line anyway since proof doesn't come with systemd?

Why did my snapshot from the other day not work (i had installed systemd on that system)?

Thank you for the offer but systemd proof is not required. It's easy to add as you suggested.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:58 am

I originally uploaded the spin to test Liquorix and make sure that systemd doesn't interfer with the live boot. So, systemd was disabled and sysvinit chosen as default. If a snapshot is being made by the user, he/she should decide upon which init system he/she wants to use and change the things accordingly. The live boot however stays sysV, because it uses a different package (live-config-systemd vs live-config-sysvinit). The /etc/default/grub is set to systemd because it was meant to be the standard for the BBQ. Of course I should/could have removed the entry there, and then leave it to the user if he wants to use systemd or sysvinit. So, my fault, apologies :D
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:12 am

All good MB. I have no problems with it as it is, now that i understand the reason. Thanks for your patience :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 am

Anytime, I'm happy if people try, use and create snapshots, that's what it is for, and it was indeed unclear for Proof.
..gnutella..