adding additonal packages to szalonna

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pidsley
Hermit

adding additonal packages to szalonna

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Now that a couple of people have Szalonna running on test machines, I'll tell you how I have been adding additional packages to the running system.

The easiest way is to simply unpack an Arch .xz package into the / directory. I usually do this with two machines -- I connect the Szalonna machine to my "main" machine over NFS, and use the main machine to browse the Arch package database and download packages.

Of course, this is only how I do this. You can use any method you like to get the Arch packages onto the Szalonna machine; even wget should work.

Once downloaded, I use "tar xvf <path/package.xz> -C /" on Szalonna to unpack the Arch package. This leaves a couple of control dotfiles in the / directory, but they are small and I don't worry about them. They have the same name for every package, so there is no danger of / filling up with dotfiles. Delete them if they bother you.

You can also use Debian packages. In this case, I use "ar -x <package.deb>" to unpack the deb, then use "tar xvf" to unpack the "data.gz" portion of the deb into the / directory.

And you can also just copy built executable files and libraries from a running system. This can be tricky, but it can be done if you are careful.

Szalonna has no compiler or git, so if you want to go that route you will first need to install the appropriate packages from Arch or Debian (or Slackware, but I have not yet tried that).

None of these methods does any dependency checking, so it may take several iterations before you get everything you need. Use "pkgfile" (on Arch) and "apt-file search" (on Debian) to find the package you need for a particular missing file if it is not readily apparent.

I'm sure there other and probably better ways to do all of this. These methods are only what I have tried so far (well, I also built pacman, but that's just silly). I expect other people will discover or invent completely different methods. Please share when you do!

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: adding additonal packages to szalonna

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:00 pm

thanks for the overall insight, I should really try out this. get my head around packages and dependencies and such like.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:26 pm

thanks pidsley, even though i might never try this out myself, i always enjoy reading about it and trying to understand concepts in theory. i have just one question: it seems much easier to me to, as you say, use wget to get Arch-packages onto the Szalonna machine directly, yet you choose to use a method where you need a second computer to do so. why is that? is it because you keep Szalonna off the internet? or do you have a different reason?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:38 pm

^ Because Szalonna only has links as a browser, it is easier for me to browse the Arch package database using firefox on my main machine, download the packages there, and share the directory where they are downloaded using nfs to the Szalonna machine. Installing some things involves several iterations of download, install, search package database, download again, install again, etc. If I knew exactly what I needed I could use wget, but it's usually not that simple.

All my machines are networked using nfs, so I am used to treating files on any machine as if they were on all of them. This also means that I can keep all the downloaded Arch packages on one machine, and can then install them on any of the several Szalonna test installs I have running now.

Does that make sense?

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:54 pm

yes, that makes total sense. i think my idea of what seems easier might differ depending on a certain setup. from what you describe, wget isnt that much easier for you at all. thanks for explaining :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:38 am

I'll throw in here that I've had some really great luck with building executables on one partition (very similar to what Pidsley mentioned above) and then simply moving them into the relevant location in szalonna via mounting. The worst issue being that some of the dynamic libraries for some binaries don't match others. I've had some luck with building static bins in those cases, but in other cases found that I probably didn't REALLY need that program anyhow.

Any extra disk-space used (especially via static builds) can be quickly justified with: "At least I don't have 2 copies of the same compiler and build tools."

;)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC