Install BORK!

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
mictian
Troll

Install BORK!

Unread post by mictian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:21 am

Hi!

First of all, Im newbie in the Linux world.
I have been trying to install BORK! in my laptop without success.
My first attempt was using the installer 'bbqinstaller', which was the specified in the wiki page some days ago.

In this case after fighting against GNU Parted I was able to reach the end of the wizard. Anyway I got the following list of errors:
  1. If I not specify a boot partition GRUB throw an error. (sorry I don't have an screenshot of that issue).
    In this case by just creating a boot partition this error disappear. At least GRUB don't says nothing
  • I notice that at the end of the installation wizard, the information of the file system type for the boot partition is missing.
    Please see attached image 01.
    If I continue the installer fails with the error attached in the image 02
I suppose that the bbqinstaller script is this one: https://github.com/machinebacon/linuxbb ... qinstaller
Which in the line 554 tries to

Code: Select all

mkefs
with the file system type of the boot partition ($fs_type_boot) but that value, as far as I could understand that script, is never asked for.

Finally, today I realize that the wiki was updated with the command:

bbqinstall /dev/sda /dev/sda1
Without taking into account that the disk partition is not contemplated with this command, when this command finish (without any error) a reboot is requested, but not bootable partition is found !

So basically, I would like to know how to install BORK!.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
02-bbq_error.png
01-bbq_wizard.png
01-bbq_wizard.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 5042 times

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Re: Install BORK!

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 am

Hmm... you know I haven't installed BORK with Parted, as I usually use a GParted live disk. I have to wonder if that (Parted) might be part of your problem?

Do you by chance have another Linux/BSD distro installed anywhere else on your HDD by any chance that you could run a

sudo gparted
from? Or you could pick up the GParted live DVD and try partitioning your desired installation spot on your HDD and formatting it as ext4?

I couldn't really tell you why that would work, only that it has worked in the past when I have had a problem with bbqinstall :/
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:20 am

^ ditto, I bale out of the rough stuff and used Gparted live to install BORK!.
Thanks for posting the logs mictian.
For a N00b you sound like you know what you are talking about, I could only suggest manually running

grub-install /dev/sda
after install, to see if that drops any errors - should look like this:

wux@grill:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
Of course making sure /dev/sda is the BIOS booted hdd.
And sometimes, for me external NTFS HDD's attached (with the BIOS set to boot externals) messes me up.
What's the install target - not sure it will make any difference, just curious.
While you're at it, why not make an intro thread?

Please post output of:

fdisk -l
or my favourite:

blkid
we can see what we're working with.
Last edited by wuxmedia on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: words and things
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:15 pm

hello, just briefly:

make a /dev/sda1 first, as / partition. use parted and mkfs2e/tune2fs for this. no other partitons are needed so far, no swap, no separate home, no boot partition. we can add /home and /swap later. then run the installer as:

sudo bbqinstall /dev/sda /dev/sda1

you have no /home at that point, so you can create it manually. we usually don't use separate /boot partitions. if this is not acceptable for you, let me know.

is this on bare metal or virtualbox?
..gnutella..

mictian
Troll

Unread post by mictian » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi
First of all, thank you for your fast replay.
Secondly, sorry the delay in answering, I've very busy.

So:
@Dr_Chroot
I try using another live CD to format the disc and I end it up with the same results. Shouldn’t that be the expected behavior? I mean, BBQ is a live CD.

@wuxmedia
Thanks but believe me this is the second time I install a Linux, my first installation was with CrunchBang (#!) and now with BBQ. As #! is dead I’m testing new distros to migrate to.

I started from scratch, based on @machinebacon recommendation and the output from blkid and fdisk -l are attached in the image 03.

@machinebacon, @wuxmedia
I think my problem should be a really stupid one, after installing as @machinebacon suggested the disc gets with all the need information (file structure and so on). But does not boot :S

Running:

grub-install /dev/sda
Throw the error of the screen-shot 04;
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path to 'aufs'.

Based on this I tried (perhaps this is nonsense, I found this googling):

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo chroot /mnt
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
which throw me the error of the screen-shot 05:
GPT partition label contains no BIOS boot partition....

I’m testing BBQ in a virtualbox, I don’t want to face this problem with my own notebook :P.
I guest it should be something stupid Im doing wrong, as I installed Debian (the base of BBQ) and it installed smoothly.

Thanks in advance!.
Attachments
05-bbq_grubGPT.png
05-bbq_grubGPT.png (9.07 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
04-bbq_grubAUFS.png
04-bbq_grubAUFS.png (6.72 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
03-bbq_sdaInfo.png

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:33 pm

GPT
There's your problem right there, as I presume it's a newer machine with UEFI?
I have very little dealings with UEFI machines.
So currently you have no actual OS on your laptop?
If you have an optical device I would get ubuntu on CD! or DVD, on it, just to give you an OS, then figure out all that UEFI stuff.
USB ubuntu doesn't work, I know that much.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:27 pm

wuxmedia wrote: There's your problem right there, as I presume it's a newer machine with UEFI?
I have very little dealings with UEFI machines.
So currently you have no actual OS on your laptop?
If you have an optical device I would get ubuntu on CD! or DVD, on it, just to give you an OS, then figure out all that UEFI stuff.
mictian wrote: I’m testing BBQ in a virtualbox,
Am I missing something here? Seems to me that the hardware (including BIOS) would be totally irrelevant.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks for the answer, I think the problem is indeed UEFI.

You might try the Vbox installation on a virtual machine with fixed (!) hard disk size. IIRC some people had to change a setting or two in Vbox, I cannot remember what exactly it was. You definitely need a 32-bit Linux or Debian set as OS type in Vbox.

My suggestion is: get yourself siduction's Xorg ISO to get as close as BBQ as you can, and we can set it up with Openbox and add the BBQ stuff later from github. http://mirror.lug.udel.edu/pub/siductio ... mmer/xorg/

Or just wait for fellow griller Vic who is virtualboxing our BBQ releases regularly. :)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:11 pm

DebianJoe wrote: Seems to me that the hardware (including BIOS) would be totally irrelevant.
Disclaimer: I haven't actually ever used any virtualisation (except at work, where I just login) so I may indeed have talking out of my hat.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Not sure about how update-grub (inside a VM) sees partitions of a VM. Quite strange it talks of GPT. How about removing the machine, creating a new one, giving it 5GB space, selecting Debian as OS in the Vbox menu, creating a single ext4 on it. Oh, and make sure that guest additions (whatever they are called today) are installed.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 pm

just came here to say that after my old, customized Boner became outdated (not in the least because of my bad upgrade-habits), i bit the bullet and installed Bork. had a smooth install indeed, all working fine, wifi and all. just crashed my terminal by attempting to run a terminal-app through dmenu but, oh well. you live, you learn.

now thinking of replacing Openbox with something else, since we're changing shit up anyway. might go with that i3 you guys are always on about. will see :)

thanks very much for the release Jules, it looks great.

edit: shit, just realized this is a support thread and not the release thread. oh well...
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:52 am

great rhosey.

just add i3* and change .xinitrc's last line, no need to worry about what might happen to openbox :x
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:25 pm

^ yesss, is exactly what i did, works wonderfully. now have to get used to keybinds and such, do some configs and all that. will post a scrot when i get something completed!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Nice, now getoutadissupport thread! :p

mictian
Troll

Unread post by mictian » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for all the effort to solve my problem, I really appreciate it.

I don’t think it is a UEFI issue, as that configuration need to be specified on purpose on VirtualBox, (Settings → Ssytem → Motherboard → Enable EFI) which is something I haven’t done.

I tried with a fixed size HDD of 5 GB, and the results were the same, I can install BORK! but I cannot boot it.

I say it again, thank you very much guys!. But after being able to install Debian, Keli, CrunchBang, Fedora and Viper without any problem at all in VirtualBox, I think it's taking me too much time to install BBQ (which I think it should be easier)
Clearly I am the one that's not up on this to install BBQ, but I'll give up trying.

Thanks guys

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi mictian, I have BORK installed in vbox. Boots up fine. Remember that I had to fiddle a bit to get it installed, but will do a new install in vbox to test it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:36 pm

grab yourself antiX :)

bye
..gnutella..